Forums

Help › Forums

Please Don't Judge Low Averages

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:34 AM (0 replies)
  • hesomist
    62 Posts
    Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:34 AM

I'm not one to usually start a thread, but thought I needed to speak up on this one.

I played with someone recently who said on the first hole that I was going to quit if I wasn't playing well to protect my precious average, and on hole 8 brought this up again saying I should post my score because my average was a lie anyway.

Please don't judge a player with a low average (no matter their tier) and automatically assume they quit nearly every round to protect it.  Play with them first and check their score history if you'd like before coming to any conclusions.

I'm not saying I absolutely never quit.  If I've already posted a -7 in the weekly unlimited, and I'm -2 through 6, it's not likely I'm going to better my score, so I will probably quit the round.  Or if a multi-player is just unplayable because the game is jumpy or loading slowly, then I will notify my group and end the round.  I do, though, post probably 90% of my rounds.

I will say, however, that I personally know players who post maybe one score a week to keep their average low, but I still play with them knowing that unless they shoot well they're not going to putt out on the last hole.  But I keep quiet and let them do what they want.  The round itself was still enjoyable, and why should I care what their average is.

So please don't judge low averages.  There are people out there who have earned them.  Some, not so much, but at least give them a chance.

Cheers.

RSS