Forums

Help › Forums

** Chipping Update - What changed 6/25/14 ***

Wed, Jul 16 2014 11:47 PM (20 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 30 2014 5:00 AM

andypat:

Mmmmmmmm not to sure about the linear bit and distance I hit 6yds for 7 on pine no2 today and it went 4yds so hows that work then????

Either hit it full (if you didn't) or use top spin. All of those off green chips are going uphill and that small elevation keeps that chip from rolling. I find the chip works great if you give it some spin help.  :-)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jun 30 2014 6:21 AM

To be seen. The main problem with the Chip shot before was the erratic (or excessive) rollout. It should roll out like a putt once it settles on the green, but the distance was not predictable like a putt (in this game). So it seemed as if a lot of players avoided the chip at all cost, whereas it is immensely popular in real golf.

If this makes the Chip more useful, it is an encouraging development.

Now I'm waiting for the Blast shot from sand.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 30 2014 6:56 AM

zagraniczniak:
    The main problem with the Chip shot before was the erratic (or excessive) rollout. It should roll out like a putt once it settles on the green, but the distance was not predictable like a putt (in this game).

I would call the new version a "mini-pitch" because it acts like a junior version of it.  :-)

• cbbcrazy
    488 Posts
    Mon, Jun 30 2014 7:28 AM

I think they did a good job with this,  a little loft gets it over the fall off and then rolls out.  Good stuff.

• bluzgolf
    1,072 Posts
    Mon, Jun 30 2014 8:10 AM

I do indeed find it to be a mini pitch.  I realize most will feel the opposite, but I liked the old chip.  (Mainly with a 60 degree unless Cleveland, then a 64 degree too.)

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Mon, Jun 30 2014 2:23 PM

absolutely love the new chipping, I disagree about it being a "mini-pitch",
    it doesn't loft up as much as a pitch, and it's much more reliable now
    similar to a RL chip.

nothing in this game will ever be the same as RL,
    we tend to forget it's only a browser based flash game (that's a big complement).

I had my share of outspoken criticism about this game
    and the company behind it, but at the end of the day, it's a pretty nice hobby
    that you can enjoy from just about anywhere in the world
    and IMO this game doesn't pretend to nor could it EVER resemble the real thing. :)

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Thu, Jul 3 2014 2:52 AM

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 12:52 PM

A shot that is now useful....!!

N1 WGT

Andy

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Sun, Jul 6 2014 8:46 PM

alcaucin:

A shot that is now useful....!!

N1 WGT

Andy

+1

• okiegolfer2
    350 Posts
    Sat, Jul 12 2014 7:29 PM

Seems more realistic to me, now.  Better distance control.

RSS