Forums

Help › Forums

REAL LIFE: Burner Plus' or X-20's?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:19 PM (8 replies)
  • TheFirstDrive
    25 Posts
    Wed, Sep 29 2010 3:25 PM

I need help should i get The TaylorMade Burner PLUS Irons (4-PW) or Callaway X-20's (4-SW) There both the same price im not worried about the x-20s having the extra club i just want to know which ones better.

• SEK1
    38 Posts
    Wed, Sep 29 2010 3:41 PM

I personally would recommend that if you are stuck in the middle find a golf shop nearby with a real driving range and spend $20 worth of balls to get a feel, the closest one to me is 20 miles but it made my decision instant on my latest driver.

If there Isn't a golf shop with a real range (or Full return Policy) then it would be a good idea to put things (swing speed, height, handicap, etc.) on here so someone can give you a more detailed description.

personal opinion:

Burners if you are looking for more distance, they are LONG clubs (owned a set a while back haven't hit anything that long to date.)

if you drive the ball a long ways and get within an 8, 9, PW, on most par 4s then i would reccomend the burners as well since the X20s are known to be sort of bulky on the topline.

Forgivness: X20's for sure, they are about as straight as you are going to find with a very high trajectory and decent amount of spin.

the most important thing, GET FITTED. as long as you are properly fitted for your clubs then im sure you will be happy with either set.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 5:56 AM

I'm a Callaway convert. I play the Big Berthas and they have changed my game a lot. 3-10, PW , SW and the latest addition, a 60 degree wedge. With the Fusion 9 degree driver and a hybrid 2 all that's left is to swing them correctly. When you do they perform. When you don't they don't kill you. 

SEK's advice about fitting is big, too. I learned this switching to the Callaways because I learned about how the club sole angle when grounded makes a big difference. GL

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 6:56 AM

I assume the OP is looking at the current deals these 2 sets are on sale for at most places.  To be honest with you, havent played either.  Friend was looking at them, he is a very new beginner so I thought the Callaways.  2 reasons:

1)  I have heard they are forgiving

2)  The SW saves him another 50-100 on purchasing a SW, which is a must have

Since you didn't explain your stats, I assume you are pretty new.  If not, and you are a little more advanced give Mizuno a check.  They make some great irons, and their MP series are like BUTTA.

Either way, get fitted.

• SEK1
    38 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:17 AM

Taylor made makes a burner set with a sand wedge.

The Mizuno's are great! my first ever set were MX 20 Tzoids, but you'd better find them used before you take a HUGE chunk out of your wallet.

Also if you get properly fitted, try out some clone clubs, you can get a full set of burner clones with True Temper Dynamic Gold for less than 300, and despite what you hear clones are just as good as the real things, (I just ordered a set the other day to take to my golf shop and the guy was amazed.) the most important thing is that you get a decent shaft. though and not the crappy ones they try to put on stock

if you need a wedge I'd highly recommend going clone, just bought a lob wedge from Gigagolf, and it looks and plays like a Vokey wedge... FOR 29.97!

• TheFirstDrive
    25 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:20 AM

I am a 4 handicap and play high school and i just learned that you also get a GW with the Burners. I was just wondering whats better and i will get fitted when i get them. and i have tried Mizuno and they haven't been really that good for me.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:22 AM

SEK1:
    the most important thing is that you get a decent shaft. though and not the crappy ones they try to put on stock

Is it worth considering changing the shafts you already have? My sand wedge has a graphite shaft as I bought it separate from the set and I love the way it feels. The rest of the set has steel.

Tx

• SEK1
    38 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:11 PM

I was referring to the clone clubs, check out Gigagolf on google, they are actually quality clubs just much much cheaper, however the shafts that are on the clones are horrible.

and also if you like the way it feels its probably fine, its not necessarily graphite vs steel, its more a matter of the quality of the graphite and the quality of the steel.  However if you are only re shafting one club it will be pretty cheap, 40 to 50 dollars for a quality graphite, and 15 to 20 for the top of the line steel.  if you want to change your sand wedge i would say go with the True Temper Spinner to match steel with the rest of your set and give you more control off of the fairways as well as the sand

• SEK1
    38 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:19 PM

TheFirstDrive:

I am a 4 handicap and play high school and i just learned that you also get a GW with the Burners. I was just wondering whats better and i will get fitted when i get them. and i have tried Mizuno and they haven't been really that good for me.

if you are a legitimate 4 handicap then i would strongly urge you to look at forged irons, they are gonna set you back a bit in price but will give you an unmatched ability in shot shaping and overall control, however you are going to have almost zero forgiveness.  i would recommend calling Titlist, or Mizuno, and let them know you are in high school and sometimes they will cut you a discount knowing how expensive the sport can be.

RSS