Neighborhood terrorized by coyotes.

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 25 2010 8:57 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Sep 23 2010 10:17 PM

Just thought I'd share this!

I live in a very large metropolitan area, in a suburb.  There's a "nature center" about a mile away, and apparently there are wolves/coyotes in there that haven't been getting enough food, and they are now feasting upon people's pets.  Seeing as how they seem to have had no problem killing all of these pets without a problem and without enough of a struggle for anyone to actually witness it (that I have heard of), I would assume they are quite large (3-4 ft head to butt, not counting the tail) or hunting at least two at a time.

The cat across the street is dead, and so is one that I also used to feed that lived on another street.  A dog was found down the street, eaten.  Who knows what else they've eaten, but I'd assume at least five other pets, and when you think about how many pets are in between here and there, it might even be a few dozen.

This should serve as a reminder for those that think "natural" things are super cool and always a good thing.  I suspect this is sort of what it feels quite a bit like living in a war zone -- when I go out, I take either a baseball bat or an axe -- and tbh, I am rather sick of it.

So, practically speaking, does anybody have any good ideas?  This has annoyed me quite a bit, and I am about to go wolf/coyote hunting in an urban area in order to save what pets are still left in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately, seeing as how we live in such a great country and all that (BS), this could very well land me in jail.

Sadly, I bet yancy's redneck ass could take care of this by noon tomorrow. :P

• PrivateToker
    8 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 1:20 AM

Hmmm. It's a difficult one. The Tiger is a magnificent creature; subject of poetry and an icon of the World Wildlife Fund. But NOT if you live in a village in the middle of India. It eats your children!

Surely the Nature Centre staff should be able to control them? It must be someone's responsibility.

I live in the UK and I would be arrested for walking down the street with a baseball bat or an axe. I'm not sure that they would believe me if I told them that I was simply protecting myself against wolves! ;)

There is talk of reintroducing wild boars into the UK. They were killed off in the 18th century. In fact a friend of mine lives at the place where the last wild boar was alledgedly killed. Wilboarclough. I wonder how long it will be until a fully grown male boar gores someone's children to death...... They were killed off for a reason...

• yokosaki
    310 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 2:02 AM

Case of Bud Light longnecks, AR15, 200 rounds of .223, and a flashlight.

At least that works for my daughters boyfriends....

• yokosaki
    310 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 2:07 AM

CharlemagneRH:
    Unfortunately, seeing as how we live in such a great country and all that (BS), this could very well land me in jail.

Assuming you live in Texas still, here is the link to you municipal penal code.  Valid in the entire state.

http://search.municode.com/html/11508/level3/PTIICO_CH21OFMIPR_ARTVIREFIWE.html#PTIICO_CH21OFMIPR_ARTVIREFIWE_S21-152DIFI

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 4:17 AM

yokosaki:
    Case of Bud Light longnecks, AR15, 200 rounds of .223, and a flashlight.

That is probably four different crimes all rolled into one.

Sounds fun, but somewhere along the line, somebody chopped all of our dicks off (all the way off; there is not even a little nub left) and that is no longer an option.

• Warof1812
    44 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:29 AM

"Sounds fun, but somewhere along the line, somebody chopped all of our dicks off (all the way off; there is not even a little nub left) and that is no longer an option."

No, no Charle!  He said PENAL code, not PENILE code.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 6:43 PM

Heard some dogs barking earlier today like they were in a real bad fight.  Hopped in my card and went to go investigate with a baseball bat and an axe (best friends of detectives the world over.)  Couldn't find anything, so I asked a guy closer to the forest about whether or not he's heard of or seen any coyotes.  He said no, but then a little light bulb turned on in his head that he might have something I would be interested in.  It turns out he was in the forest last month and had 30-second video on his cellphone of something along those lines, which he showed me.  It was a bobcat/lynx.  He said he found it stalking a squirrel, and he managed to get within about 20 ft of it.

Talked to a neighbor, and she said that she saw a large cat a few days ago toting another animal in its mouth.

From the sounds of it, this guy has killed dozens of pets.

This is bad news if you ask me since a bobcat can not only kill and eat animals behind fences, but also scale fences to get away.  Won't be able to corner him, so a gun is pretty much the only answer for this fiasco.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Sat, Sep 25 2010 9:34 AM

Charles, Not to sound like the anti-pet guy, I have a dog and would be pissed as well, but if its native animals encroaching on the suburbs then its just doing what it needs to survive. This will only end badly for the bobcat unfortunately with someone eventually killing it when all its trying to do is survive. This is just the result of taking away land that was once home to native animals and pushing them to desperation.

Fence in your yard, only let your pets go outside when you can go outside with them.  Quite frankly its your pet, be protective of it.  If the food source dries up for the bobcat it will probably leave or will head further into town where it will eventually be killed by a car or a person.  Encourage your neighbors to keep animals indoors or attended.  Anything left outdoors like many people do with cats, are fair game and only the owner to blame.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Sep 25 2010 9:42 AM

Neil is right.  It's  jungle out there!  One more reason for staying in the safe confines of your home and playing WGT.  (With that said, I'm off to the real golf course)

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Sat, Sep 25 2010 11:13 AM

I would think that animal control could take care of this for you.  In the past 20 years I have had skunks, racoons, possums, etc. that came into my yards, all at a previous house that had a 2 acre lot and a lady next door who feed anything that came around.  They were really good about coming out and setting traps to capture them.

• PAGES
RSS