Forums

Help › Forums

TAYLOR R1 BLACK BEST DRIVER

Fri, Apr 8 2016 4:45 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Robbo81303
    411 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 10:48 AM

I believe that to say one particular driver / ball combination is better than another on any given day is just ludicrous.  I usually use a black L93 R1 with Tour SD balls and, generally, my drives are 5-15 yds shorter than others with R1's and longer balls, and equal or better than anyone else.  That said, I've had more than a few rounds when I've consistently outdriven folks with R1's & black RZN's and, conversely, was thoroughly humiliated once by a TL with a G20 & upper level Cally's who consistently outwallopped every R1 in the group by 20-30 yds.  At St. Andrews, regardless of wind.  Go figure!  In my opinion, there are just so many variables ( player ability, spin, wind, a particular hole's conditions, VEM, etc, etc) that make a side by side comparison over a round or 2 completely meaningless.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 6:29 PM

Robbo81303:
    was thoroughly humiliated once by a TL with a G20 & upper level Cally's who consistently outwallopped every R1 in the group by 20-30 yds.  At St. Andrews, regardless of wind.  Go figure!

havent ever been out driven by 20 or 30yrds even the lvl 90 balls and r1 dont do that 

• Robbo81303
    411 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 8:35 PM

spdemon:
    havent ever been out driven by 20 or 30yrds even the lvl 90 balls and r1 dont do that 

I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it either, but this guy was smacking his drives 340-360 yds EVERY time, with most all of the yardage covered in the air!  It was more than a bit surreal, to be sure.  I wish I'd written his name down - perhaps a WGT product tester with a little time on his hands??  I don't know.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Fri, Apr 25 2014 4:17 AM

Robbo81303:

spdemon:

I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it either, but this guy was smacking his drives 340-360 yds EVERY time, with most all of the yardage covered in the air!  It was more than a bit surreal, to be sure.  I wish I'd written his name down - perhaps a WGT product tester with a little time on his hands??  I don't know.

my buddy has out drove me quite a few times with the g20 and srixons with me using the r1 and 33 callies but dosent happy that often

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 11:59 PM

there are a few more variables to driving other than driver & ball
    like spin (can be a very dramatic factor) and grain direction,
    hitting it at the brighter area of the fairway alone
    can get you extra 5-7 yards.

• snoops34
    2,694 Posts
    Fri, Apr 8 2016 4:45 PM

DaveStrock:

I guess I'm a bit confused,I consider a head wind is blowing directly at me or in to my face (wind arrow pointing down) and a tail wind blowing directly behind me at my back (wind arrow pointing up) what I find is with a tail wind I use about 3/4 back spin for maximum distance and height so the wind carries the ball farther,,, with a head wind I use very little spin at all if any because I don't want the ball to climb higher in the air and get caught up in the wind and lose distance ,,,top spin in a head wind seems to lose distance as well,I rarely if ever use any top spin on my drives as I haven't experienced any advantages with distance that way but irons do seem to carry farther with top spin............

What you wrote has been my experience with the 289 driver and the Nike Black ball. No more than 3/4 B/S unless I need to carry a corner to drop and stop then I used full B/S. Head wind T/S does seem to lose real distance, so I hit with no T/S on those drives and get 10 yards more. Maybe counter intuitive but it works. Had to talk myself into it at first. LOL

• PAGES
RSS