Forums

Help › Forums

TAYLOR R1 BLACK BEST DRIVER

Fri, Apr 8 2016 4:45 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JAMESBALDINI
    266 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 12:27 PM

This is a great driver good into headwind stays up good with  most expensive driver on wgt

james

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 12:50 PM

JAMESBALDINI:

This is a great driver good into headwind stays up good with  most expensive driver on wgt

james

Ahhhh it was the most expensive till the nike 

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 7:36 PM

yup.. whoever was lucky enough to pick it up @ L93
    must be pretty happy about it, I know I am.

other than my trusty L94 Nike blade, this is by far the best stick in the bag .

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 9:33 PM

Kinda disappointed with the R1 rated at 287yds I am one of those lucky ones Ha Ha,I use the Nike ball with a distance rating of 4.5 and about 90% of the time other players using the SLDR with a cally ball rated at 3.5 distance drive about the same and even out drive the R1 at times,also notice the SLDR out drives me most of the time with any Nike ball even the R11 keeps up fine and out drives the R1 on occasion ,the most notable difference I see is only in a tail wind and even that is only a few yards(still get beat by the SLDR with a Nike rated at 5 distance),I use about 3/4 back spin on my drives,is that costing me distance?,does top spin ad distance??? 

Just finished a round back nine St. A,had a player using the g20 driver rated at 280yds and a Nike ball rated 5 distance,only out drove that combo by 2 to 6 yards per hole,WTF is there something wrong with my R1?,I would expect to out drive that combo by 10 to 15 yards minimum......

• Jresh0817
    1,414 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 6:26 AM

I also have the SLDR and you are right..with a tail wind I can hang with my fellow CC players with R1...But with wind in my face,thats where R1 shines imo....can't hang with them then!

DaveStrock:

Kinda disappointed with the R1 rated at 287yds I am one of those lucky ones Ha Ha,I use the Nike ball with a distance rating of 4.5 and about 90% of the time other players using the SLDR with a cally ball rated at 3.5 distance drive about the same and even out drive the R1 at times,also notice the SLDR out drives me most of the time with any Nike ball even the R11 keeps up fine and out drives the R1 on occasion ,the most notable difference I see is only in a tail wind and even that is only a few yards(still get beat by the SLDR with a Nike rated at 5 distance),I use about 3/4 back spin on my drives,is that costing me distance?,does top spin ad distance??? 

Just finished a round back nine St. A,had a player using the g20 driver rated at 280yds and a Nike ball rated 5 distance,only out drove that combo by 2 to 6 yards per hole,WTF is there something wrong with my R1?,I would expect to out drive that combo by 10 to 15 yards minimum......

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 1:03 PM

The Lvl 93+ Black R1 has an 8° face, The Lvl 89+ SLDR has an 9° face.

So the R1 has a slightly lower trajectory than the SLDR. That lower trajectory is what give the R1 an advantage over the SLDR hitting into a head wind.

A critical factor for distance with the R1 is where you set the ball spin adjustment based on wind direction and fairway elevation relative to the tee.

If you zoom in on the ball you can better see the ball spin adjustment as you slowly move the indicator. You may want to zoom in more than just once for more precise ball spin adjustment.

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 2:11 PM

Can you be more specific ApexPC(or anyone else),what spin settings do you find give you the most distance driving with a head and tail wind?

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 8:07 PM

It depends on the wind direction, wind speed, tee to fairway landing area elevation change, landing area topography, and sometimes which hole I'm playing. 

For a straight on (180°) head wind 15 mph or faster I usually use full back spin with the Lvl 81+ Nikes I play. As wind angle/speed falls off + or - 180° I gradually use less back spin.

There are exceptions: For instance on St. Andrews hole 18 I use full top spin until the wind angle is less than 90° or 270° at which point I start to decrease top spin until I reach the middle of the adjustment (no spin) when I have a tail wind straight from behind.

But, on that hole where the ball first lands is critical, and with a head wind if you can land on the road the ball will go a long way. So as wind angle changes from a straight on head wind I often use less than a full stroke to land the ball on the road.

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 9:41 PM

I guess I'm a bit confused,I consider a head wind is blowing directly at me or in to my face (wind arrow pointing down) and a tail wind blowing directly behind me at my back (wind arrow pointing up) what I find is with a tail wind I use about 3/4 back spin for maximum distance and height so the wind carries the ball farther,,, with a head wind I use very little spin at all if any because I don't want the ball to climb higher in the air and get caught up in the wind and lose distance ,,,top spin in a head wind seems to lose distance as well,I rarely if ever use any top spin on my drives as I haven't experienced any advantages with distance that way but irons do seem to carry farther with top spin............

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:37 AM

DaveStrock:
    I guess I'm a bit confused,I consider a head wind is blowing directly at me or in to my face (wind arrow pointing down) and a tail wind blowing directly behind me at my back (wind arrow pointing up)

Your Correct.

I once read somewhere in the Forum that, Icon uses 80% B/spin on all his drives.

The 18th on St.A,   In a Heavy Head wind...  Full Top Spin and Slightly less than a Full Shot and you will hit the road and end up close to green.

-Roger

• PAGES
RSS