Help › Forums

meter speed?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 29 2017 7:27 PM (27 replies)
  • Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 1:33 AM

ScottHope:

It's okay for us John to say it has to be the way it is, but try to look at it from a complete beginners point of view. Looking at the attributes of the equipment you immediately catch on to the fact if a club has a higher number for forgiveness it will be more forgiving, or a higher number for precision it will be more precise, and so you cannot forgive newcomers for thinking that if a club has a higher number for meter speed then it will have a faster meter.

I have already shown in another thread that people have bought clubs under the misapprehension that a lower meter speed number meant a slower meter.

I accept it can be confusing at first, and perhaps a warning in the Sales blurb for relevant items would help. I was just saying that given they  wanted to change to numbers doing it the way they did was in reality, the only logical way without limiting the attributes to what they already were and that would have gone against the very reason they changed to the number system in the first place.

• ScottHope
    10,111 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 1:38 AM

I know they had to change it to progress, but the meter speed value just isn't intuitive. Like you say, a warning in the pro shop or a link to the section in the FAQ's which explains the attributes would be helpful.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 1:54 AM

they could have left the gauge with numbers on it too though 

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 5:26 AM

alberich35:

Euh no, higher number for meter is slower meter.

Correct, I assume you're referring to this post:

autoswing:

Just to be clear then  a Meter speed of 5.0  is slower than a meter speed of 1.0

The Ping K15 have a meter speed of 4.5, very nice and slow.  The i15 have a speed of 2.5, faster than a very fast thing.

There is some logic to it, the higher the number the better, regardless of which attribute.

• ScottHope
    10,111 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 6:10 AM

Okay, lets try it from a different angle......buying a washing machine for example.

Machine A has a spin speed of 1000 

Machine B has a spin speed of 1200 

You would naturally assume that machine B has the faster spin speed even though I have not indicated what the number actually is.

Whenever or wherever you stick a number next to the word speed, people will naturally assume that the greater the number, the faster the speed will be of whatever it is you're referring to.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 10:58 AM

ScottHope:

Okay, lets try it from a different angle......buying a washing machine for example.

You would naturally assume that machine B has the faster spin speed even though I have not indicated what the number actually is.

Whenever or wherever you stick a number next to the word speed, people will naturally assume that the greater the number, the faster the speed will be of whatever it is you're referring to.

But your analogy only works if faster is desirable. 

That is not the case here, where slower is desirable (for almost all).

To carry on with your analogy if it became the fact that a slower spin speed was beneficial then then the lower the number the better, however what would you do when your technology got to a spin speed numbered 0? 

WGT really only had two options if they wished to continue to offer products with greater abilities; make higher numbers = slower meter or use negative numbers.

Personally I'd have had no problem with negative numbers but I'm aware that a huge number of people have intuitive problems with negative numbers. Whatever WGT did in this case some were going to be confused. What they should of done, is make the reasoning much clearer and some honest and clear labelling of products would have helped.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 11:19 AM

ScottHope:

My shorts start complaining when they spin at more than 1000.  Just sayin'......

• autoswing
    172 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 2:55 PM

I hear what was said earlier about higher being better, but really this only applies to specific characteristics and is not always appropriate

Somewhat ironically, a higher score in golf does not mean better (A higher price does not always mean better)

The value surely relates to the thing which it it is describing and I,like most people, assume that speed really does mean speed !!

Rather than using a silly numbering system they should 

(a) not have used the word speed !

and/or (b) actually given the speed value a real meaning e.g. how many screen/pixel units per second.

That way you would never get a speed below 0 , not matter how slow a club which you bring out....

They could, of course easily change it, if they could be bothered.

In the meantime , as was stated earlier, at least a warning to indicate the relative meaning of the value would be useful. Or how about a small colored flag next to the value e.g. green for less , sorry more than 4 , red for less than 3  ,etc...

Once again I am, or course,  going on the general consensus that a slower meter speed is a good thing...

• ScottHope
    10,111 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 3:06 PM

andyson:
    My shorts start complaining when they spin at more than 1000.  Just sayin'......
    A good quip to end on methinks.  :ᴖ)

RSS