Help › Forums

Looking to make first equipment upgrade

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 27 2014 5:01 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CraigBrass
    3 Posts
    Sat, Feb 15 2014 4:25 PM

I'm a Level 35 amateur with 2,500 credits looking to make first upgrade. Driving straight is not a problem, but hitting the ding with a putter has been trouble. Open to all suggestions.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sat, Feb 15 2014 7:53 PM

CraigBrass:

I'm a Level 35 amateur with 2,500 credits looking to make first upgrade. Driving straight is not a problem, but hitting the ding with a putter has been trouble. Open to all suggestions.

Try a better ball , its cheaper . You can get a better ball for around 60 credits a sleeve . Save your credits until you reach Master tier , and then upgrade your clubs . You will want a ball with at least 1.0 feel rating . This will slow the meter down some , and make hitting the ding easier . Give that a try first , and see if that helps  Good luck with your game . :-)

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sat, Feb 15 2014 8:12 PM

Wait until level 42 then get rid of the Hybrid (use the punch shot to get out of rough) and get three evenly spaced wedges. The reason I say wait until level 42 is that the Pings at and around that level are decent wedges. Then learn to use them, learn ALL the shots full, punch, pitch, flop and chip. That alone will improve your game probably more than any other purchase.

The advice to buy better balls is good but unless you have a source of credits or are willing to spend the time on the videos to 'earn' them it will eat into your credits as purchased balls wear out, clubs are a one time purchase and don't.

Apart from that, practice and note taking (note taking should be at OCD level if you want to master this game) are the roads to improvement.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Feb 15 2014 10:29 PM

Chinajohn:
    Wait until level 42 then get rid of the Hybrid (use the punch shot to get out of rough) and get three evenly spaced wedges.

I agree with 3 wedges, and the pings are very good value however to get evenly spaced wedges look further ahead - ie to the ideal irons you will be using. IMO wait till level 58/59 for the G20s and work your way backwards from the pitching wedge.

With starter irons it is sort of overkill having 3 wedges so 2 can do in the interim - but wedges will singularly improve your game by allowing yourself to get closer to the pins.

For the record I miss the ding when putting too (and try to hit it) so a putter with better forgiveness does help but putters are a personal thing. I used the Ghost first level 35 I think,  the difference was huge compared to the Starters but the starters is a pretty good putter under 10 feet. Over this I found it pretty bad lol but once again, this is why good wedges benefit scoring most!

In a nutshell (IMHO), keep saving your credits, and consider the G20 full set, but add at least 2 good wedges at level 42 and use the time to practice. It really does not take long to progress through the levels at  this  stage and most importantly enjoy the game.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Feb 16 2014 12:28 AM

alanti:
    With starter irons it is sort of overkill having 3 wedges so 2 can do in the interim - but wedges will singularly improve your game by allowing yourself to get closer to the pins.

This!

(How should a third wedge fit under a 90 yds PW, given the Ping lengths of 60, 75, 85, 90 ... (ignoring the low level noobs' stuff?))

The budget way is becoming crooked, so consider the short ATVs coming around you at level 39, 60° and 64°. Wait for the third until you need it below a custom iron set.

I see no 3WD at level 42 (Raptures in mind? => gone for good). R11 at lvl 30 or G20 around lvl 58 may be favourable driver replacements, or get the club sets.

Buy no putter below 500 credits.

My 2 Pfennig.

Addendum:

level 39 @25.500 XPs

level 58 @88.500 XPs.

• 27stitches
    161 Posts
    Sun, Feb 16 2014 1:21 PM

looks like you have all starter equipment right now. get a driver first then go for wedges next. forget about a hybrid - thats a sucker purchase.  play often !!

• RAVE2MICKLESON
    1 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2014 5:25 PM

how did you get so many credit ?? oh and also I'm level amateur but I've played over 10 rounds and my average score is 73 why am i not turning pro ?

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2014 6:50 PM

lonniescott711:

CraigBrass:

Try a better ball , its cheaper . You can get a better ball for around 60 credits a sleeve . Save your credits until you reach Master tier , and then upgrade your clubs . You will want a ball with at least 1.0 feel rating . This will slow the meter down some , and make hitting the ding easier . Give that a try first , and see if that helps  Good luck with your game . :-)

NO! NO! NO! Low level players should NEVER waste their credits on new balls. Upgrade your clubs. Get either the L15 Bladez or the mid L30s R11

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Thu, Nov 27 2014 6:05 AM

derekortt:

lonniescott711:

CraigBrass:

NO! NO! NO! Low level players should NEVER waste their credits on new balls. Upgrade your clubs. Get either the L15 Bladez or the mid L30s R11

Totally agree.  When your dinner is burning, you don't turn down the heat.  You take it off the burner.

I always chuckle when I see people with starter putters, wedges, and irons playing with RZN and XI balls.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Nov 27 2014 7:22 AM

Or.....disregard all advice that deals with "playing on the cheap"...pay zero attention to it, get off of your billfold and "buy, buy, buy"... buy everything you can, when you can and "play, play, play" with a "happy, happy, happy" Face >> :-}

• PAGES
RSS