So I just made Master...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:49 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Errant
    72 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:24 AM

griffygriff:

A friend of mine just turned master  yesterday, something he would have taken a few months to achieve under the old system. His lowest score is 71 on 18 and 32 on 9 holes. He's currently in the pro shop with his credit card looking for equipment that will help him with his new challengers.

You're kidding right? I went from hack to pro in 3 days. If I'd only played STA or Kiawa I would have made master in another 3.

Why are you highjacking this thread? If you're unhappy with the changes that WGT made there are a gazillion other threads you can jump into.

• bserowinski
    15 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:00 AM

Pangaea,  I got the R9 when I also got moved up last week to Master from Pro.   I'm hitting many fewer fairways than I used to.  The faster meter is going to take some getting used to if you purchase it.  Forget the average, just play the game and improve all over again.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm very unsure what to get, that's the gist of it. And with little credits I can't afford to waste it on clubs I can't use. But I must say it's quite tempting to go for the R9 due to distance. Really wish it was possible to try out clubs in practice mode only, so we could know what was right for us. And no, I'm not handing over 100-200 credits just to borrow a bunch of clubs.

Had really thought to get the G10 Master full set, as I could use most of the clubs anyway, and it would save a little bit. But maybe it's just as good to just buy a driver now and try it out. Thinking out loud here, and I really appreciate the feedback :)

• Errant
    72 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:35 AM

If you go with the G10 set, at least you meter speed would be consistent.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:22 AM

I have both the R-9 and G10 master drivers. I use the G10 because missing fairways makes me crazy. The yardage difference is small. For me the R9 is way too sloppy.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 1:11 PM

I went with the full G10 Master set. Played a round from the white on Bethpage. Had 66 here with the Raptures, and scored a 74 now. Was +4 after 2 holes :D

Bit of a culture shock to begin with, but hit the fairway a decent 71%, so maybe I can walk them in.

Some observations.

1) It takes very little deviation before they go well wide. Particularly with driver, but irons too. More than 4-5 dots off and you can forget about a nice lie.

2) The irons land much softer than Rapture shots, but they need to be fairly straight. Often I was in the greenside rough or -bunkers.

Also, I'm now filthy rich. 5 credits rich :D
    Tried to make a screenshot of it, but Paint decided to suck nuts.

Not a terrible first experience, but it will be much tougher when I start from the blue tees. It's one thing to try to salvage a hole form 150 yards rough. Something quite else from 180-200 rough.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:16 PM

Pangaea:
    I went with the full G10 Master set. Played a round from the white on Bethpage. Had 66 here with the Raptures, and scored a 74 now. Was +4 after 2 holes :D

In the longer run you won't regret it. For whatever it may be worth, it took me at least a month to get used to the meter and variety of shot capability. Stay the course and anticipate rewards. Nice and wise choice.

PS   Allow me to recomend that if you still have your Rapture clubs, sell them right away to avoid a return to the soft pillow they provide.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:49 PM

I sure hope I get used to them faster than that. I almost broke my bed right now after releasing some (a whole f'ing lot) of anger..... :whistle:

Maybe there is no escape from using GI-S999 balls now. Need more than 5 credits though :D The speed is a mouthful atm, hooking and drawing every other time. It's wonderful when I get close to the ding, but 80% of the time it's a carcrash waiting to happen. Hope I get used to the clubs.

There was a ridiculous escape from the edge of a terribly deep bunker (tried to get out and it stuck on the edge). Ball landed 2.8 feet from the hole, after a 150 yards escape. That was sweet. Unfortunately the other kind of shots far outweigh the good ones. But with many more rounds hopefully the score will creep closer to par again. Currently I've lost 5-8 shots a round.

The Raptures are staying, that's for sure ;) Little point in selling them tbh when we get so badly ripped off. But I will try and stick with these and see if I improve. It's the only way I suppose.

• PAGES
RSS