So I just made Master...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:49 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:22 AM

What equipment should I buy?

Currently I have the now-unavailable 245 yards WGT driver, Rapture irons and Z wedges. Best to jump on an offer before they close the gates. I'm wondering whether I should buy a full club set or just a driver. I only have 681 credits so can only really afford a driver, but am thinking it may be worth getting a full set just so I have the option of trying the G10 irons. Price is just shy of 2000.

Have naturally been looking at the R9 too, but from getting advice and reading topics it seems like the G10 has more forgiveness while the R9 hits a little farther. Considering I've been playing with a fairly slow driver and clubs, I'm thinking it's better to go for precision and forgiveness of distance. But I'd love to get more feedback from people who have tried these clubs.

G10 or R9?

Driver or full set?

What's smartest given the offer only lasts a few more days, and my likely meterspeed-shock experience?

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:54 AM

I changed to the G10 driver and iron set, I really like them and I'm almost used to the faster meter. It's handy having an iron that will go 210 yards when you've given up on a hybrid for an extra wedge.

• Tigerwids
    238 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:56 AM

Go for the G10 iron set you will get used to the meter speed and you can also buy G13 ball`s to slow the meter down. Look at 90% of master`s they use G10 irons best of luck.

Pangaea:

Currently I have the now-unavailable 245 yards WGT driver, Rapture irons and Z wedges. Best to jump on an offer before they close the gates. I'm wondering whether I should buy a full club set or just a driver. I only have 681 credits so can only really afford a driver, but am thinking it may be worth getting a full set just so I have the option of trying the G10 irons. Price is just shy of 2000.

Have naturally been looking at the R9 too, but from getting advice and reading topics it seems like the G10 has more forgiveness while the R9 hits a little farther. Considering I've been playing with a fairly slow driver and clubs, I'm thinking it's better to go for precision and forgiveness of distance. But I'd love to get more feedback from people who have tried these clubs.

G10 or R9?

Driver or full set?

What's smartest given the offer only lasts a few more days, and my likely meterspeed-shock experience?

Pangaea:

G10 or R9?

Driver or full set?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:58 AM

Pangaea:

If you think you can handle the speed increase go for the driver. I recommend the R9. It will put you at places in the longer fairways that you're already used to.  GL

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 1:06 AM

Would it be correct to say that the R9 drive longer while the G10 offer more precision and forgiveness?

How are both of them when you miss the ding? Do you need to be more or less right on the money to get them fairly straight and to keep their stated distance?

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:05 AM

Here is an interesting thing..all clubs should have the same meter. makes hitting the ding more consistant.

If your not really good with the meter the g-10 driver might be your best bet. With a driver though the r-9 is pretty long. That length reaLLY COMES INTO PLAY ON BETHPAGE AND THE LONG HOLES ON oAKMONT..WE USED TO SAY..r-9  THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!

I really ha-vent noticed much difference between the two clubs when it comes to deviations.

Remember the higher the precision, the less often deviations occur.

So once you get used to the meter, you will find shots loose less distance on your mishits than the raptures. Watch the 7-8 irons on the g-10 irons when using Backspin when you mishit by a quarter of an inch or more..Ive lost as much as 25 yards.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:37 AM

25 yards less with a misshit G10 iron? Dang. That's quite a bit :o Don't think I've ever missed that much with the Raptures, even with serious mishits.

It is tempting to go for the R9 due to distance, I'm just worried I will be living in the rough as I'm not all that consistent with my wedges (who have same meter speed). It's gotten better lately and I've dinged quite a few, but I think that may just be luck.

Have looked at the options, and it looks like it would be nice to get a driver, wood, irons and a wedge (G10 60 Master). If I go with G10s that would get me distances of 270, 235, 210, 200, 190, 175, 160, 145, 130, 115, 98, 85, 77, 71, 63, 50, 41. That sounds pretty allright.

In that case it could be nice to buy the full G10 Master set for 1976. Or if I go with the R9 driver I can get the G10 wood, iron and 60 wedge for slightly less, but without some extra clubs to mess about with.

I can understand the seasoned players go with the extra distance of the R9, but how is it for Rapture Pros turned Master? I'm just a bit worried about going wide a lot, as I don't ding too often, and don't want to waste credits on a club I can't handle.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 5:18 AM

Pangaea-It's not as bad as you think. The R9 tends to forgive more on late hits than early ones but most of the fairway landing areas are of decent size.

Pangaea:
    It's gotten better lately and I've dinged quite a few, but I think that may just be luck.

It's not luck, its you getting used to it. That's what happens the more you play and the same thing will happen with the driver, you just need to give it a chance. Be brave grasshopper-go for the R9!  :-)

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 6:36 AM

A friend of mine just turned master  yesterday, something he would have taken a few months to achieve under the old system. His lowest score is 71 on 18 and 32 on 9 holes. He's currently in the pro shop with his credit card looking for equipment that will help him with his new challengers.

So if anyone is still confused why wgt made these changers, just go to the pro shop and take a look....its packed ...mission accomplished wgt. oh congrats to the op dude

• Errant
    72 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:16 AM

I'm a "Rapture" pro who made master and I love the R9! I was worried about the meter speed too but it's really not that hard to get used to. The R9 is like having a little golf ball cannon. I've never used the G10 driver so I can't compare, but I have no desire to try it either.

• PAGES
RSS