Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 8:50 PM

andyson:

Linda sang it better.

The Eagles gave a better overall performance.

She sure had great vocal range, GOP Andyson.  I heard she was at the top of her game when she changed genres ... but she did end up with a huge Spanish speaking audience.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jul 16 2014 7:26 AM

Guten Morgan !

July 16

1723 - Joshua Reynolds ~ Amazing Portrait Painter....although, I prefer Gainsborough

1746 - Giueppe Piazzi ~ Discovered 1st Astroid, the interesting 'Ceres'

1821 - Mary Baker Eddy ~ Founded Christian Science

1887 - 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson

~ im ybrigen, zufyllig ~

622 ~ Moslem Era begins - flight from Mecca to Medina ----- 0h Goody

1099 ~ Crusaders herd Jews of Jerusalem into a synagogue and set it on fire

1212 ~ Battle of Las Navas de Tolusa; end of Moslem rule in Spain

1439 ~ Kissing is banned in England to stop germs --- those nasty old 'Cooties' ---           my question: where does the fore-play start now ?

1755 ~ John Adams graduates from Harvard

1861 ~ Battle of Bull Run

1938 ~ At Shawnee CC, Paul Runyan wins the 21st PGA Championship

1989 ~ The 44th US Womans Open belongs to Betsy King

1995 ~ Annika Sorenstam captures the 50th US Womans Open

~ Ich w nsche ihnen einen sch nen Tag ~

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:42 AM

July 17

1487 - Ishmail I ~ Persia Shah who converted Iran from Sunni to Shi'ah

1744 - Elbridge Gerry ~ 5th VP who invented 'gerrymandering'

1763 - John Jacob Astor ~ German / American $$$$$$$$$$

1831 - Xianfeng ~ Emperor of China

1889 - Erle Stanley Gardner ~ Perry Mason inventor

1899 - James Cagney

~ Bye the Bye ~

180 ~ 6 Christians are slaughtered in North Africa

1549 ~ Jews are expelled from Ghent Belgium

1585 ~ The English discover a plot by Anthony Babbington to Murder Queen Elizabeth I

1603 ~ Sir Walter Raleigh is arrested by order of King James

1841 ~ "Punch" is first published

1939 ~ In Flushing, NY, at Pomorok CC, the 22nd PGA is won by Henry Picard

1983 ~ The 112th British 0pen belong to Tom Watson with a 275 at Royal Birkdale

1988 ~ The incredible Seve Ballesteros takes the Jug back to Spain by winning the 117th British 0pen at Royal Lytham - 273

1994 ~ Ahh, Turnberry ! Nick Price - 123rd British 0pen - 268 !

2005 ~ Tiger completes his 2nd 'Grand Slam' at our own WGT St. Andrews and wins the 134th British Open with a 274 ---- he and Jack are the only ones with two 'Grand Slams'

2011 ~ The Jug travels back to Ireland ! Darren Clarke makes it happen by rolling with a 275 at another of WGT's own, Royal St. George at the 140th British Open

~ now, let us all enjoy the Open ~

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:46 AM

Got a few birthdays to report for 17 July, along with some videos ..

We'll start with the actor that coined the phrase, "you dirty rat" ... James Cagney (1899 - 1986) ... here he's doing a dance routine with another great actor/comedian, Bob Hope ...

Also ... another great comedian, Phillis Diller was born on 17 July (1917 - 2012).   Here's a skit I found on Youtube ... enjoy!

And one more actor to share today ... Donald Sutherland (79) ... here's a short clip of him playing the character "Oddball" in Kelly's Heroes ...

And now, a few Country Western singers that were born on 17 July ... first, here's a video of Luke Bryan, who's 38 today ...

and one of my favorite rednecks, Craig Morgan (50) ....

Have a wonderful, "Sure Happy It's Thursday" day, everyone!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 1:22 PM

DaddysKat:

Have a wonderful, "Sure Happy It's Thursday" day, everyone!

I agree Kat...great post (as usual)-----but, I got all happy when I noticed that Spencer Davis turned 75 today, and thought "Yipee!" Kat is going to post "Gimmee some lovin"

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:28 PM

Happy Birthday, Vince Guaraldi..ok he's passed on, but I still love his great music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Guaraldi

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 10:43 AM

Very cool vid, JFidanza!  I always loved the Peanuts toons!

18 July ...

A special shout out to former PGA golfer and now announcer Nick Faldo, who's 57 today!  

Here's some names many of you may remember ... first off, South Africa leader Nelson Mandela (1918 - 2013).  Next, actor Chill Wills (1902 - 1978) who didn't do much more than western shows and movies.  And Harriet Nelson (1909 - 1994) ... she was the mother of that hunky singer, Ricky Nelson.  Finally, for those who are no longer among the living, there's Hume Cronyn (1911 - 2003) ... best known for his role in Cocoon.  He's also a Tony Award winner.

For those still with us, Vin Diesel is 47; The very first to ever orbit the earth ... John Glenn is 93; and James Brolin (who I know as the guy that was in Pee-Wee's big adventure playing the role of Pee-Wee Herman) is 74.  For you sports nuts out there, Joe Torre is also 74 today, and Alan Pardue is 53.

I only have a couple of videos to share today ... first off, this is a quick little blooper from actor and comedian Red Skelton (1913 - 1997) ... enjoy:

And this one, from Country and Bluegrass singer/songwriter Ricky Skaggs, who turned 60 today ...

I'll be off to Catalina tomorrow and dealing with SAT internet.  I hope everyone a wonderful weekend!  Be safe and have fun!

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Jul 19 2014 11:30 AM

19 July ...

Since I have extremely spotty internet right now, I'll keep this short.  The lead guitarist of the band "Queen" celebrates his 67th today.  Happy Birthday, Brian May.  Here he is performing "God Save the Queen' on the rooftop of Buckingham Palace in 2002 ... enjoy

Also celebrating a birthday today ... Benedict Cumberbatch, who turned 38.  Here's a clip of him playing the part of Sherlock Holmes (and in my opinion, the best Sherlock Holmes ever!) ...

About 5 1/2 hours on the water right now ... and halfway to that one particular harbor. There's something to be said about the soul of a sailor ... makes me believe there's magic here ...

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Jul 20 2014 8:07 AM

20 July ...

Today is Carlos Santana's 67th birthday ... which brings up this question ... Is he the best guitarist ever?  Or is Slow Hands better?  I've heard Richie Sambora to be the best by some.  What do you think?

Here's a vid I found with Carlos and Eric Clapton ... give it a listen and then decide who's best between these two great guitarist ....

Also born on 20 July ... Kim Carnes is 69 today ... here's a song many of you may remember ....

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 9:12 AM

21 July ...

For those born today, but no longer with us ... Don Knotts (1924 - 2006), author Ernest Hemingway (1899 - 1961); author Marshall McLuhan (1911 - 1980) ... he predicted the World Wide Web 30 years before its inception.  

Here's a clip I found of Don Knotts doing a skit with Andy Griffith ... enjoy!

Greats that are still with us ...

Robin Williams is 63 today ... here's a skit he did on golf (if you're easily offended by foul language ... skip this one please ...

Cat Stevens is 66 today ... and to keep all you father's from welling up, I won't post "Cats in the Cradle" or "Father and Son" ... instead, I'll share this video ...

Finally ... Kay Starr is 92 today.  Here's a clip from a show she did on the "Colgate Comedy Hour" back in the 50's ...

Have a wonderful OHIM day everyone!  Sailing the west side of Catalina Island today ... heading off to Cats Harbor!

RSS