Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Jul 13 2014 7:19 AM

Happy Sunday !

July 13

100 BC - Julius Caesar ~ amazing to realize that after so many years & degrees of separation, he still, in some way, effects your life ~

1590 - Clement X ~ Pope

1608 - Ferninand III ~ King of Hungary - Emperor of Germany

1776 - Caroline of Baden ~ Queen of Bavaria

1821 - Nathan Bedford Forrest ~ Slave trader & Grand Wizard of KKK

1864 - John Jacob Astor IV ~ $$$$$$$ & a boat rider...the Titanic..

~ Bye the Bye ~

1568 ~ Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral perfects a way to...{drum roll, please} to bottle BEER!

1787 ~ Congress establishes Northwest Territory sans slavery

1837 ~ Queen Victoria moves into Buckingham Palace...1st Monarch to do so

1865 ~ Horace Greeley advises "Go West, young man"

1958 ~ 13th US Womans Open belongs to the most pure golf swing of all time...Mickey Wright

1958 ~ 87th British 0pen at Royal Lytham is won by Peter Thompson

1962 ~ 91st British Open is won by the "King of Golf" at Royal Troon. Arnold Palmer rolls a 276....I so wish we had Troon at WGT

1968 ~ 97th British 0pen at Carnoustie is won by Gary Player with a 289

1974 ~ 103rd British 0pen returns to Lytham, and, again, Gary Player's 282 takes the Jug

!980 ~ At the 35th US Womans Open, the great Amy Alcott is Champion...I know her, have played with her several times, she has helped me with my swing, and she has the finest short game I have ever seen

~ See Ya ~

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 9:46 AM

~ Bonjour ~ Bastille Day ~ Vive la France ~

July 14

1602 - Jules Mazarin ~ French 1st Minister ~ Cardinal

1671 - Jacques D'Allonville ~ French Astronomer

1675 - Claude de Bonneual ~ French Soldier

1702 - Jacques-Philippe Lamoninary ~ French Composer

1816 - Arthur de Gabineau ~ French Philosopher

1874 - Andre Debierne ~ French Chemist ~ Physicist

~ au demeurant ~

1223 ~ Louis VIII becomes King of France

!789 ~ REVOLUTION !!!! in Paris at the time, Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to John Jay describing in amazing detail the events of Bastille day....the letter would take me hours to type, and so I shall 'cherry pick' a tiny tid-bit I can type in a jiffy. From Paris dated July 19, 1789...."and in that instant a discharge from the Bastille killed four people...the people rushed against the place, and in an instant were in possession....how they got in, as yet is impossible to discover...They took all the arms, discharged the prisoners,..carried the Govenor and Lieutenant Governor to the Greve (the place of public execution) cut off their heads, and sent them through the city in triumph to the Palais Royal. About the same instant...Monsieur de Flesselles, Prevost des Marchands, they seized him in the Hotel de Ville, where he was in the exercise of his office, and cut off his head....

~ Au revoir ~ 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 6:42 AM

Howdy !

July 15

1606 - Rembrant van Rijn ~ Ahh, the Dutch...they own painting

1737 - Princess Louise-Marie of France ~ her daddy was Louis XV

1779 - Clement Clarke Moore ~ wrote " 'Twas the Night Before Xmas (Christmas)"

~ Bye the Bye ~

1799 ~ The Rosetta Stone is found

1922 ~ Gene Sarazen tosses a 288 at Skokie CC to win the 26th US Open

1923 ~ At Innwood CC in NY, Bobby Jones is the 27th US Open Champ with a 296

1927 ~ The 62nd British 0pen - St. Andrews - 285 - Bobby Jones

1948 ~ Alcoholics Anonymous is founded in Britain...pretty cool..everyone still drinks but uses a different name

1961 ~ 90th British 0pen - Royal Birkdale - Arnold Palmer - 284

1972 ~ At Mighty Muirfield, Lee Buck Trevino snatches the Jug with a 278 to win the 101st British 0pen

1978 ~ At WGT's own St. Andrews, the 107th British 0pen belongs to Jack Nicklaus 281

~ Peace ~

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 11:13 AM

Today is fellow nerd and Mythbuster Adam Savage's 47th birthday.  It's one of my favorite TV shows

Here's a clip from some of the show's outtakes ....

Also ... today is comedian Gabriel Inglesias's birthday ... he's 38 (and a bit too "fluffy" for me).

Here's a clip from one of his shows ...

Finally ... today is Linda Ronstadt's 68th birthday ... which leads me to this question ... who sang this song better ... Linda or The Eagles?  give 'em a listen and leave an opinion ...

first ... The Eagles ...

and now, the birthday girl ...

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 1:33 PM

DaddysKat:
    ... who sang this song better ... Linda or The Eagles?

Golly...I wonder if the question is answerable...I give an ever so teeny-tiny edge to Henley...maybe...F-it....both

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 1:45 PM

SweetiePie:

DaddysKat:
    ... who sang this song better ... Linda or The Eagles?

Golly...I wonder if the question is answerable...I give an ever so teeny-tiny edge to Henley...maybe...F-it....both

I only give it to the Eagles because they stuck with their genre throughout their career.

Linda does a great job on that song though!

• WGTyphoon
    597 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:37 PM

The performances are all great but I'm a little bias towards the Eagles. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 7:05 PM

DaddysKat:
    I only give it to the Eagles because they stuck with their genre throughout their career.

Goodness ! Frey - Henley - Walsh...in one band. Amazing ! I wish Walsh would have a B-Day...I love "Rocky Mountain Way"

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 7:26 PM

Joe's B-Day is in November ... remind me around the 18th or so.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 7:46 PM

Linda sang it better.

The Eagles gave a better overall performance.

RSS