Forums

Help › Forums

New Legend playing conditions.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 3 2010 11:26 PM (26 replies)
  • GGLG2010
    22 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 5:29 AM

Championship far back tees and super fast greens, my low scores and average (58.XX) are now history.

To tell the truth, the new extreme conditions, together with the most demanding equipment to cope with the extra distance, are changing my attitude toward the game. The obsession with sub 30 or 60 scores was ridiculous anyway, completely inconsistent with real golf. I shall try to do well, but play less in a spirit of competition, with excessively high -- stressful -- expectations, than for plain fun, and come what may!

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 5:46 AM

I have said enough even though I could keep on going! On another note, to all the other legends try looking at the Tour-S ball, for me it seems the easiest to control on these STUPID greens.

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 6:19 AM

Got to agree GGLG; if anyone bar the top top top players can keep an average of under 60 with the current conditions, I'll be shocked. I don't stress at all about mine and it's gone from 60 to 64 within one solid day of playing. What's even better, is that yesterday I came in the top 5 of five ready go's!

With the tees now being stuck back, it feels genuinely like proper golf; difficult, frustrating, annoying but so enjoyable when things go right. I just had a 66 on St Andrews and it felt better than a 58; heavy winds, tourney greens and back tees - the exact same conditions as the 2nd round of the Open earlier in the year.

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:01 AM

I've played 5 or 6 rounds now in the new conditions & I'm at 60.85, I think I was around high 58 or low 59 at the switch.  Hell I had bad days before that jumped me worse than that.  So far I'm thinking the new conditions are a bit of an equalizer but it's not impossible to continue shooting good scores.  As long as WGT stays vigilant and butthurts the sandbaggers I think the new move will be a good after everyone gets over the growing pains.  They do need to get something worked out on equipment availability at lower levels.  Perhaps give the equipment for free when you reach the current levels that they have set for equipment but make some of it buyable at earlier levels if you're willing to pony up the cash.

Just my .02

• GGLG2010
    22 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:04 AM

I have to say that you are absolutely right about it feeling real. I actually don't care if my average skyrockets in the mid-60's, or worse, and I welcome the challenge with open arms.

If WGT can fix the erratic -- at times smooth, at times choppy meter (a maddening game wrecker) somehow, I'll be happy.

• WYLBILL81
    69 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:26 AM

o come on wgt.. if your gonna push us back on the MONSTER tees then bring out a new driver so we are not hitting from the tee box to the rough, and bring some balls the bite the ice, oops i mean the greens. at least give us a fighting chance. PLEASE

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:29 AM

The balls stop just great on the greens, what game are you guys playing? They putt real nice too. JB

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:36 AM

I welcome the championship tees.

I've looked forward to this for a long time. But with all the changes, some of which are not fair to all players, I just find myself completely confused, and not relly excited to play from the tips at all.

What a shame.

I will grind it out nonetheless eventually. I have lost a lot of motivation to play this game in light of the way WGT has made these necessary changes. A little more disclosure would be helpful you know. 

• Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:37 AM

Well it's been a couple of days now since we got the new tiers and conditions and I've got to say that I was wrong in my original negative comments. 

Ok, there is no doubt that averages are going to go up considerably, but whereas previously in Ready-Go's you had to score in the twenties or fifties to stand a chance of winning, this has now risen to a much more realistic low - mid 30's or 60's.

I think the true legends will soon become very evident now that the courses are much more difficult and maybe WGT could acknowledge their outstanding ability in the future, although I don't quite know how that could be done. 

• DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:44 AM

I think the new tees are definetely welcome and a challenge.  Certainly is difficult and averages will be skyrocketing.  However,  it does seem like more ready go's are taking place and the winning scores certainly are higher....heck Ive even won a few the last couple of days.....HIT EM STRAIGHT AND LONG

RSS