flagstick or no?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 30 2014 8:12 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Dec 2 2013 3:44 AM

DrussTheLegend:

...but leaving it in opens you up to some of the nastiest WGT wtf results out there.  Hitting that flagstick on approach can stuff up a hole big time. (happened to me RSG open, round 2 on #9, hit the stick from 110 yds out and the ball ended up 50 yds away from the hole).

Don't know if yourself or others are aware of it but the flagstick can be removed after hitting an approach to the green.

I tend to leave the pin in from distance. This is my own personal choice as it makes it easier for these ole eyes to keep track of the ball flight in relation to the wind/pin position. 

If it looks like the ball is heading directly for the pin only then will I remove it - saves moments like this.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Dec 6 2013 4:07 PM

Thanks, all, for the great insight.

Interesting because I hit a 194 footer and pulled the pin while in flight and it said 'flagstick removed' (or 'like' removed, not too sure anymore, all comments considered..) and it hit an said 'hit flagstick', you know.

So I'm wondering how does one get a HIO with the same circumstance. (? semi-rhetorical question)

• DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Dec 21 2013 4:17 AM

WigerToods2010:
    f it looks like the ball is heading directly for the pin only then will I remove it

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news WigerToods - but removing the flag after you execute the shot does not affect crazy hit the flagstick shots.  The way WGT calculates where your shot will end up, means that as soon as you hit (or miss) the ding, it calculates the result and if the flagstick was in when you hit the last mouse button, then removing the flagstick afterwards does not stop the ball from hitting the flagstick and bouncing miles away.

Just had that happen on Oly 15.  Removed the flagstick halfway, the ball bounced off the (now) invisible flagstick and shot back towards me 20 yds.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sat, Dec 21 2013 4:43 AM

DrussTheLegend:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news WigerToods - but removing the flag after you execute the shot does not affect crazy hit the flagstick shots.

Yes siree!  I'd noticed the option to remove the pin previously mid shot and have wondered if it was really gone. It must have been just by pure luck that I'd not actually hit the 'invisible' version till this point. Seems a bit strange though, eh?

Thanks for clearing it up, Druss.

Regards,

Johnny.

• garyk49
    2,317 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 5:44 PM

?

• Dougie4042
    4,399 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 8:12 AM

garyk49:
    ?