Forums

Help › Forums

Please look at the 7I

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:08 PM (36 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2009 3:43 PM

It seems that #6 is batty no matter what club you're using.  I hit a flush 190yd 3-iron into that green with no spin and a crosswind and got an end result of 178 yds.  None too pleased.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 4:15 PM

Okay, more than a month has gone by since this original post.

This is not a minor issue, this is a long running, major malfunction of one of the most useful clubs in the bag.

What's the report?

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2009 4:22 AM

It's still broken.... that's the report =( 

I just treat my Ping 7i like it goes 140 not 145.  But even then it will surprise me the odd time.

WGT please, please fix it.... 

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2009 1:44 PM

I emailed 17 consecutive clips on 2 different courses of the Tour Starter 7 iron (rated 142) going an average of 12 yards short of its rating with full backspin on relative level ground in low wind conditions, on both Kiawah and Bethpage.  We'll see if that makes any difference.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2009 5:06 PM

Thanks!  I wish I could do the videos so I could help out with this more. :(

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2009 9:34 PM

Hi everyone, we are having another look at this and will let you know our findings. Thanks for your patience.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Jul 2 2009 8:50 PM

Yes, I have the same issue with the 7 iron {Burner} 19 mph tail wind, default lie on the fairway, with no adjustment to backspin.  Unforntunately the ball only travelled 131 yds.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2009 12:59 PM

Can I make a suggestion in regards to club distances.

There is only two issues I have with the iron distances.  The clubs are TaylorMade Burner;

The 7 iron is rated for 140.

The 6 iron is rated for 153

Both clubs are typically short in yardage.  Especially the 7 iron. 

All clubs are rated in ideal conditions no wind.  Thus the player facing windage issues can affectively adjust their swing and

back spin to accommodate the yardage.

The 7 iron and 6 iron generally carry their distance with little roll. And yes, I am speaking from experience.

Your continuous efforts to improve the flight model of these clubs will only add the to pleasure of playing this virtual

golf, which is outstanding.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jul 5 2009 8:41 PM

7 Iron Taylor Burner; Iron rated at 140 yards.

Incident:  6th Hole BethPage;

2nd shot was a 145yd shot to the pin with a 9 mph tail wind and green 16 feet below the ball.

Shot parameters; 7I with full back swing, and with full backspin;

Execution:  Iron was hit on its sweet spot;

Results:  Shot came up 14 yds short or the ball only travelled 131yds.  Which is impossible.

Pls address this issue.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jul 5 2009 9:35 PM

I may be able to shed some light on the mysterious issues with club yardages on holes that baffles ones thoughts.

Its my opinion that the course 3D dimensional model is incorrect on some holes.

For example, 6th hole at BethPage black as indicated in my previous post I came short on a 7 iron.  I was to compare relative position of the ball with respect to the traps on linksLS.  I was approximately 161 yards to the pin or 15 yds difference.  This represents the amount I came up short with the 7Iron.  Generally you can drop down club with then there is a 15-25 foot drop in elevation.  I have not been able to apply this rule on this hole.

The WGT team has their work cut out for them in verifying their yardages and the respective 3D model of each hole. This would be consistent with the closest to hole challenge at Lake Tahoe.  Their is one hole that plays across the water and the yardage indicates 142 yds which is unreachable with the 7I, also the 1st hole at Lake Tahoe shows a yardage of 128yds, which I tend to believe it is 140 yds. 

Thus, you'll most likely want to address each hole separately during the verification stage of your analysis and make what ever corrections are necessary to the model.

I would like to see your progress for issue. Verification of each hole's 3D model.

RSS