Forums

Help › Forums

Please look at the 7I

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:08 PM (36 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2009 5:52 PM

WGTadmin, please play Kiawah # 1 and 6 and use a 7 iron Tour Starter(rated 142) on your second shot.  Notice the carry distance on each one.  I have left you so many error reports on #6 I can't even begin to count.  I'll be 142 yards out with a 10 mph tail wind and hit a full 142 and come up as many as 10 yards short.  You need to do more live testing because clearly whatever testing methods you are using are not satisfactory.  After having played Kiawah #6 a few thousand times, I'm quite sure I know what I'm talking about.  Try hitting a 7 iron with a 10mph tail wind on any other hole(other than #15) and see if you ever come up 10 yards short of the flag.  Let me know after you've tried it 50 times, and report your personal data.

P.S. Don't do the experiment in the test environment.  Actually start a game and play the holes like we do.  I suspect your test environment is flawed if it hasn't shown the same erroneous results as the best players of your game have reported in this thread.

P.P.S.  Forgive the frank and standoffish nature of my reply here, but after 6 months of sending specific error reports about this issue, to have you come back with "please be more specific" is a bit off-putting.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2009 6:46 PM

Bethpage Black #13.  138 yards to hole, 10 mph tail wind.  Hit 7 iron(142) full power with full backspin.

Result?  130 yds.  With a 10 mph tail wind the ball should carrry more than 130 yds, never mind end up at 130yds.  Take away the 10mph wind, which should add about 5 yds to the shot, and what are you left with?  A shot that would have gone 125 yds.

Explain it within the confines of what your test environment determined to be "within specs".

1,644 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 5:06 AM

I have see the same result on EVERY 7 Iron that you have release, I've used them all and have had the same issue with each.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 6:01 AM

I think there is an inherest issue of backspin and how much it's SCREWED UP right now. Going back to the old deviation build before march madness started:

there was some basic math: you had a 225 drive which had 200 carry and 25 run. with topspin it was 190 carry and 35 run, with full backspin it was 210 carry 15 run

With wind it was TAD off, but almost always consistent. Now, we have stronger wind, in random directions, but BS itself is flawed:

I think today on #11, I had a 257 drive and i had 171 left to the hole with 8mph straight tail wind.Because the hole has a small landing spot, i figured i wont try to push 165 topspin there (it should reach) but hit, 175 full bs to carry into the green. I missed slighting, maybe over 170 yards it was 10ft off and it landed into the bucker. What did it show? 142 carry.... 4iron with full bs and 8mph tail wind CANNOT have 152 carry, thats the carry of a 6 iron.

BS has been flawed ever march madness, in fact, the WHOLE reason we started hitting punches into 14 and 16 on back 9 kiwaya, is because backspin was useless.... and it's very risky hitting punches there since the whole green is protected by bunkers on short side.

I almost never just plain hit my clubs, i always try to use bs and choke because i want to control distance and run; right now i can do neither

I can tell you for sure, lee, nivlac, tibbs, and I all want the game to suceed. None of us bring these things up to gain some sort of advantage.

If, however, you think I am wrong about how BS works with wind, please post the math for us, so we know exactly how wind effects  carry, run, overall resistance.

I remember back in late 90's when I beta tested diablo2, we had programmers show us data on every calculation how exactly brocking worked, attack speed, spell's casting/recasting/etc for if you cannot know these things, you not a serious player but just a guesser. In the end, if i have 165 yards and I know what my clubs, do and hit my shot perfectly, it should go that distance!

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 8:27 AM

thanks for the additional info, we'll look further

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 9:48 AM

Bethpage #10, 128 yds to hole, 2nd shot, 11mph headwind.  I use a 7 iron(142) full power, full backspin.

Result?  130 yds.

Contrast this with my above example on #13.  The elevation changes on both of those holes from those distances are negliglble.  The same shot hit with 10 mph tailwind and 11 mph headwind yielding the same result?

Not within specs.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 11:18 AM

Kiawah 1st hole, wind 3mph towards 8 o'clock.

7I off the tee, 128 yd carry...awesome. :)

• thelmer
    7 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 10:27 AM

I'm curious...if you upgrade clubs, do you also acquire a backspin function while playing a round?? I

I have not noticed any function like that whie playing BP or kiawah?

Thanks....and having fun trying to make the cut with the "free" set of clubs.

Thelmer

• uwsublime
    3 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2009 6:51 AM

The backspin should always be there.  It's the black dot on the ball in the lower right corner.  Try dragging it up for topspin or down for backspin.  Please note that it isn't extremely effective - you can't actually get backspin rollback, but you can slow the roll down or speed it up and it does effectively change your ball flight (longer for back and shorter for top).

Back to the topic though.  I have noticed the same thing with the 7i from multiple iron sets.  Both me and my playing partner see it and we use different sets.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2009 3:38 PM

And, for the latest in 7 iron malfunctions...

Kiawah #6(again).  I'm 150 yds away from the hole.  I have a 17 mph wind at my back, and knowing how the 7 iron always plays short, I don't put any backspin on it.  It hit my 7 iron(142yd rating) full power and.....

...It goes 140 yards.

Imagine how short it would have gone if there was no wind at all.

RSS