Wed, Aug 18 2010 11:28 AM (22 replies)
  • Warof1812
    44 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 6:35 AM

THANK YOU ALL for your excellent help!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 7:56 AM

IRL you wouldn't use the punch shot like it's used here. Think of the resulting yardage and action of the ball on landing  as opposed to thinking of a RL punch. It's more of a yardage shot  (BB's example) then it is an actual punch from the fairway which usually isn't done IRL.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 8:16 AM

That is probubly true,  rl players use muscle memory for distances inbetween clubs, we dont have that option so we have to do whatever we can to get the distance right with no incremental meter.  I have learned a lot and have benifited from BBs advice on many occasions, would not discount the suggestions from the best in the game.

"lol... ok... I'll definitely try to hit a punch with my 50 yarder next time I have a 25-yrd shot or something close to being too short for the 50 yarder."

and  I only use it, the punch, when it is 40+, or 60-70  etc,  the inbetween shot,  the 25 and in there are many other shots that would be better imo

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 8:22 AM

wizbang360:

That is probubly true,  rl players use muscle memory for distances inbetween clubs, we dont have that option so we have to do whatever we can to get the distance right with no incremental meter.  I have learned a lot and have benifited from BBs advice on many occasions, would not discount the suggestions from the best in the game.

"lol... ok... I'll definitely try to hit a punch with my 50 yarder next time I have a 25-yrd shot or something close to being too short for the 50 yarder."

and  I only use it, the punch, when it is 40+, or 60-70  etc,  the inbetween shot,  the 25 and in there are many other shots that would be better imo

I like the pitch shot, but nothing has the stopping power of a full swing shot.   A 60% 50-yrd full swing will land at about 22.5 yards and stop at about 24.  You can't do that with a pitch.  Although I sometimes want some roll from my shots, I usually like them to stop dead, so I only start to pitch when I absolutely have to.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 8:46 AM

I was just messing around, to test out the punch shot, and I got this result (see below)... lol... I know it's pure luck, but I thought everyone would enjoy it.  View the shot from cameras #3 and #4 to see the ridiculousness of the shot... lol.

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=189e5f0e-2e5b-4cc7-a071-9dd50102cd4f

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:16 AM

Simply put, the punch shot from 100 yards down to about 20 yards in is the best shot for distance control and spin. I never used to play them and my average was 64, I play them all the time now and my average is 3 shots lower. I put that drop purely down to the accuracy I get playing punched approaches.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 12:00 PM

YankeeJim:

IRL you wouldn't use the punch shot like it's used here. Think of the resulting yardage and action of the ball on landing  as opposed to thinking of a RL punch. It's more of a yardage shot  (BB's example) then it is an actual punch from the fairway which usually isn't done IRL.

Not really true.  Having attended around 15 PGA tour rounds in person (mostly major championships - brag)  I can tell you any time the wind blows, the majority of pros are flighting their lower irons/wedges very low, you do not pick this up from TV coverage.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 12:14 PM

Maybe its me but I see pro's hit knock down shots with high winds, maybe I am confusing it but I wouldn't call it a punch shot.  I think this game acts more like a knockdown shot with the longer irons, and punch shot with the shorter irons. 

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 12:18 PM

Eh, you could be right neil, could be considered either I guess, feherety referred to it a number of times a as a 'punch' wedge this weekend tho for example :)

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 12:20 PM

I agree with Neil, I think a knock down shot is what is generally used by the pros and the punch shot on here seems to be sort of between what they use and a real punch that rolls 30 yards.

RSS