Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out III': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open THIRD EDITION!

Mon, Oct 28 2013 3:55 PM (614 replies)
  • JayO92
    172 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 8:24 AM

Ok, so it's only 197 yards to reach the tip of the fairway, but you're putting a lot on whether your group gets a headwind or a tailwind as to whether you make it (especially with moderate winds).  The easy tees may only be 7 yards further up, but those make a huge difference...

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 8:38 AM

thats why its called  " tough it out " nothing ez about the set up . the high winds with starter gear are killing me at Oaky ....

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 10:17 AM

JayO92:

Just tried out a round of uneven lies.  Not as bad as I feared.  And aside from Merion at the Medium tees (come on man there's a huge forced carry on 18!) the championship conditions seem fair for starter clubs so count me in :).

Great to see you've got the interest. I hope you found and filled out the entry form from the first page. The playing availability times are very important. Pairings will be based on the information you provide so be as honest and accurate as possible.

As for Merion and the 18th hole, I know that's it's very hard and perhaps against the wind unreachable but it's still a par possible hole. At that point it will be the very last hole of the Tourney and the organizers(Corwyn and myself) felt that it should end as hard as possible. We tested each set-up more than once to get all sorts of wind and we got the headwind on 18 that I wanted. Driver into the mess, 3H Punchshot, short to mid iron approach, and a putt for par is possible. It's just as Tough as it gets.

I want to mention that as we'll be playing in pairs, you're not exclusively playing against your pard. With all of us using the same clubs, we can work together to help each other score better. The first to hit an approach can "call the shot" in the text box. The second to hit can see the result and adjust accordingly so their shot may be even better. It goes back and forth so it ends up evening out and you each can steal a stroke or two as a result. It's like the Mulligan is being played by the other  player.

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 10:22 AM

Great to have you join in, Jay, and yes, all your details came in just fine. Right now, you're our only southern hemisphere representative!  [Edit: Somehow I forgot Timbo from South Africa. So you're not alone!]

Corwyn:
    There's still room for any other prizes you want to devise... and we can even add course-specific ones ahead of each round.

A big thank you to all of our sponsors!

Also, I've just heard from Russ (ColumbusStorm) with a wonderful offer to sponsor one virtual Wedge for the lowest 4 round score with an overall GIR of 50% or less.  (If no one eligible then raise to 60% or less.)

We're just finalizing the exact conditions, but it will likely be restricted to a player outside the top 3, and who has not won another prize (or if they have, chooses to prefer this prize).

Thank you Russ!

• JayO92
    172 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 7:05 PM

Ok, I understand the reasoning of wanting the final hole in the tournament to be a killer.  That and it's only 7 yards, not really worth putting the other 17 tees up for.

Oh, should I win this tournaments equivalent of low-am (lowest master tier or below), I wish to decline the prize offered by bhoese, because I did in fact have an old account back in 2010.  I reached master tier with it but had it deactivated because I wanted to start over; http://www.wgt.com/members/overth2uyf/default.aspx

That, and I already have G20's (which are awesome by the way, highly recommended) so I don't need a premium iron set nearly as much as some players out there do.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:28 PM

Re: the tees: Thank you for your understanding, Jay. I suspect the 18th is a 3-shot hole anyway, regardless of which tee you're coming from with starters. At least, it always is for me, lol.

And thank you so much for your candor regarding the "low-am" prize. You have no idea how refreshing it is to see such honesty in this day and age!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 6:32 AM

Corwyn:

Re: the tees: Thank you for your understanding, Jay. I suspect the 18th is a 3-shot hole anyway, regardless of which tee you're coming from with starters. At least, it always is for me, lol.

And thank you so much for your candor regarding the "low-am" prize. You have no idea how refreshing it is to see such honesty in this day and age!

I want to back up what Corwyn said here. Thank you so much Jay for your integrity. All the prizes on offer are from players so it's most important to Corwyn and I that the entrants are of the highest integrity and play their rounds single play with honesty. The last thing we want is a prize sponsor ending up just gifting something to a dishonest player then feeling taken after the fact.

I believe the entries are now closed and Corwyn will be doing his thing creating pairings for the first round play. Once again I want to remind everyone that it's going to be Tough so work with your pard to extract all you can from these Grand Old Courses. The clubs we'll be using are of greater quality than those used when the courses were designed and first built. We can attack here and there and get at least what the course will take. Patience will be tested so let the play come to you. If you get upset, you're letting the course take from you without any effort. Fight back and get all you can. I find the most pleasure in knowing here and there I've beaten the guy who designed the course. I also tip him my cap when I know he's gotten the better of me on a hole and move on. Par on any hole is a good score. You've gotten around whatever the trap that was designed into that hole and took the par.

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 7:30 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    I believe the entries are now closed and Corwyn will be doing his thing creating pairings for the first round play.

Yes, I can confirm that Sign-Ups are now CLOSED.

I hope to have Player Pairings and the Time Availability up and finalized later today.

As always, all important tourney information will be added to the first page posts (with edit notes at the bottom of each, so you can tell what's new).

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 7:41 AM

i noticed something in the course set-up's , typo i'm sure ...

round 2  red ( hard ) tees : round 3 red (easy ) tees .... just pointing it out ...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 8:01 AM

Hi Slayer,

Actually, that's how the courses are set up. Red are Hard tees at RSG, and Easy tees at Olympic. Go figure!

It's the first time we've done Hard tees at RSG, trying to offset for making it Low wind. At Olympic we figure that trying Tourney greens for the first time in TIO events is challenge enough, and thus we're sticking with the baby Easy tees there (on a course that's plenty long enough IMHO!).

Thanks for checking, though.

Corwyn

RSS