Forums

Help › Forums

Is WGT Ball Pricing fair? An objective viewpoint please

Fri, Feb 21 2020 8:15 AM (51 replies)
  • ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Oct 21 2013 1:36 PM

alanti:

Well a round in real golf takes about 4 hours - 4 hours playing this game I can use a entire sleeve - this is where it can become expensive and just looking at no WGT expenditure on my CC Bill is proof lol

Problem Solution.

On WGT - Tee off.

Get up and walk around for about 280 yards, return to computer. Hit second shot or putt as applies. Get up and walk to green or next tee.

Repeat until you have completed 9 or 18 holes of WGT golf.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Mon, Oct 21 2013 5:08 PM

There's more than a fair selection of ball on offer....from free unlimited rock crushers to wgt branded or Srixons etc to the top end Nikes and Max blow holes. So from a selection point of view, people have the choice of spending either nothing for balls, or spending between $1 - $6.50 for them.

Ball life could be better.......and a discount for larger quantity purchases would seem fair but this site's not about being fair on our wallets.

Having said that, we are permitted to take it or leave it....so it all comes down to choice.

In terms of WGT's virtual goods being steep.......well think again.

Most-Expensive-Video-Game-Objects

The Crystal Palace Space Station’s reign as most expensive virtual item ever was soon brought to an end, however, because today Club NEVERDIE has been sold to John Foma Kalun for the staggering sum of $335,000! Also, before selling off his actual space station Jacobs had sold different areas or zones of the asteroids. These are known as Biodomes and the sales totaled $300,000 USD.

Personally I play a lot less now so spend very little on balls.

• WEGiffels
    806 Posts
    Sun, Nov 17 2013 2:09 PM

I'm a little late to this discussion, but here's my $.02 anyway.  I'm not going to compare WGT game play to real world golfing because they simply aren't the same, but I am talking about relative costs within each game.

Ball prices are quite high when compared to the cost of the equipment.  You can buy a very nice full set of clubs for around 3500 credits (driver, 3WD, irons, wedges, putter).  With the better  balls going for 300-450 for 3, we're looking at roughly 10% of the cost of the clubs.  In the real world, $2000 will get you an excellent setup, but NOBODY would pay 10% of that ($200)  for 3 golf balls.  You can get near top of the line golf balls for roughly $45 per dozen, or a little over $11 for a sleeve of 3, which is about 0.5% of the cost of the clubs, or 1/20th the cost of these virtual balls.  And those real balls will last considerably  longer than anything in WGT.

Now I'm not saying that WGT balls should be 25 credits for 3, or anything like that, but lets not kid ourselves about their cost. 

I'd also like to point out that their other big game, WGT Baseball, does not require any financial investment for players to advance pretty much as far as they want.  If you want to put in the time and effort, your team will improve.  They do that with very annoying ads on the side of your browser, but you can play without paying for it. 

With WGT Golf, there's simply no way to advance beyond a certain point in the game without upgrading your equipment because the game gets more difficult as you go up in tiers.  At some point, you just aren't hitting the ball far enough to reach every fairway or every par 4 green.  I got to Tour Pro before I bought anything (2 wedges, and a G20 driver after tonight's round), but I doubt I could get beyond this tier without something.  I don't see why they couldn't do something similar with ads in this game.  I'm surprised there aren't more in-game ads.  Signs in the distance, or banners at each tee box.

And yes, I know, the game is free, but the discussion is how to make it better, not whether we should be complaining or not.

I do have a few suggestions for them.

1. Let balls degrade rather than simply removing them from the game.  Drop their individual ratings a notch or two after the normal wear period until they're essentially the same as the free ones.

2. Unexpected free balls.  Nothing crazy, but maybe a ball now and then for finishing a certain number of rounds, or playing 18 at some course, or getting a birdie or better on some random hole on a particular date, and don't tell anyone about it.  Get a bird, get a ball (1 max per golfer).  I think this could get people playing more often, knowing they might win something just for playing.

3. More promotional balls.  I've got a Halloween ball, and some stars and stripes ball, and 3 HEX Chromes from making Tour Pro.  Maybe a free ball if you play on your birthday.  I'm tempted to buy more of those HEX Chromes because I like how they play.  If I got a single version of some other ball, I might be willing to buy those too.  But without knowing how they play, it's a crap shoot on whether I'll like them.  Yeah, most of the promotional balls aren't the best ones out there, but they're better than any of the really cheap ones.

4. And of course, lower the price a little bit.  I know it's a big revenue stream, but slightly lower prices for balls that last a little longer may entice more people to spend money on them instead of using the 10CR per sleeve cheap ones.  I can't believe I'm considering paying 300 credits for a 3-pack when I could upgrade my 3WD for slightly more than that.

Anyhoo, I love the game, and can't wait for my new driver.  Hit 'em straight everyone.

• Little0ne1
    13 Posts
    Wed, Jan 28 2015 11:03 PM

I dont understand the big deal some have  with the price of things on WGT.I for one have never  spent real money for any thing on here , i use the avenues  WGT provides  . Surveys and Videos  to get credits for what i want,,, yes. It takes a little time but its free,,,i got all my clubs / wedges /3w /and driver that way,,,,& countless balls,,,,,, what are these people bitching about  ,,,,,,,,,i agree with courtneyfish  i too am very happy with the game

• yeeeeehaaaaw
    5 Posts
    Tue, Oct 18 2016 2:21 PM

how do you earn the free credits?? I just searched pricing in the forums because I cant be the only one who is flabergasted with the pricing on these.  I just paid something like 600 or 800 credits for nike balls..whatever...that is insane!! that was 2 days ago I think...ya theyre gone..and not lost.... no more hits left in them.  its over $5/sleeve and they dont last long.  This is a game that I p[lay in the comfort of my own home, its fantasy..its not real..but the cost is very real..outragous in fact!

What do XP points do?? didly!! absolutely nothing that I can see

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Oct 19 2016 10:29 AM

yeeeeehaaaaw:

What do XP points do?? didly!! absolutely nothing that I can see

XP gets you to the next level.  Near the top left of the screen, below your user name it says which level you currently are.  To the right is a progress bar, hover the cursor over this bar and it'll tell you how much XP you currently have and how much you need to get to the next level.

When I first started playing I thought the XP you earned could be spent in the pro shop.  That bubble soon got burst : )

If you find balls overly expensive go for a cheaper one.  The Callaway L33 is, for want of a better word, only 250 credits, waaaaay less than the Nikes.

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Wed, Oct 19 2016 11:10 AM

yeeeeehaaaaw:
    how do you earn the free credits??

I don't, personally - too little options from my country, too little money in exchange of the time of my life, too often the feeling of getting scammed.

You may try the "get credits" tab in the top, and you may have more success if you find a US proxy.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Oct 19 2016 1:50 PM

alosso:

yeeeeehaaaaw:
    how do you earn the free credits??

I don't, personally - too little options from my country, too little money in exchange of the time of my life, too often the feeling of getting scammed.

You may try the "get credits" tab in the top, and you may have more success if you find a US proxy.

Can't speak to anywhere else, but luckily here in Canada, a steady stream of surveys to keep credits afloat. 

I'm glad the surveys are there because it allows me to keep buying expensive Nikes as needed while continually actually increasing my total cred count through surveys. 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 3:52 AM

I've never had much luck with the survey route..I usually find out at the end that I don't qualify and am given 5 credits...whoopie. Would take a week to earn enough for a sleeve of Nikes.

I just play cheaper balls for the price of a coffee. Good balls don't help my game much, as I don't have the skill to take advantage of their specs.

..but, whatever works.

ct

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 12:32 PM

What province? 

I don't have an issue... granted 75% of the time you are screened out, but that means if you get 8 survey offers, usually I find 2 maybe 3 will not screen me out and I am paid out. 

Did two 150 cred surveys in class now in ten minutes got 300 creds. 

I can earn between 500 and 2k creds a week on surveys. All while buying Nikes as needed.

RSS