Forums

Help › Forums

Masters and Pros, a question

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 17 2010 7:18 AM (29 replies)
  • wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Aug 5 2010 7:45 PM

struggling master,     I also use it to fill the wedge gaps I have,  but also use it with wind in my face at st andy #5   if I use enough club to get to the green it rolls for 90 ft past if I try to bounce on early it sticks in the hill just in front,  with the punch I get much closer to the hole and have a better eagle chance.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 5:45 AM

Nice wiz, I am gonna try that out.

• GerryTS
    122 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 7:05 AM

Struggling Master, thanks guys for your tips on the punch. Punch shots never comes to my mind unless I am in thick rough. I have a hard time visualizing the shot. I picture lots of roll after the carry, but will try it. I know I am missing something as a Master. Maybe patience.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 8:48 AM

Gerry-On a real course have you ever been in that spot where the right club to use will hit the tree you're barely under? Instead of taking a full swing you maybe add a club and take a shorter back swing and "punch" the ball out of there to stay under the branch. That's what I think of when I use it. It has a lower flight so wind doesn't mess with it as much and there is roll at the end but usually only 3-4 yds (on flat.)  Spin helps either way-more roll or less-but the best part is what it does to the coverage between your clubs. You master that and it's like picking up several more clubs in your bag. GL

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 8:55 AM

I think it's painfully obvious what category I fall under LOL...

Yes the punch is a great tool; I use it more from the fw than from the rough though...   all depends on what the variance is yardage-wise...   within 10 yards (of the punch distance) I'll use it every time...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 8:57 AM

Me too, RC. Thanks for pointing the fairway use out. I was trying to help Gerry visualize that shot with the real life comparison. ;-)

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 9:02 AM

One of my best RL shots was a punch with a 3-wood from under a tree from about 200 out...  ended up making birdie :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 10:02 AM

My punch in RL is with extreme spin from the fairway. From the rough, just a recovery shot with much role. Here it seems to be the same.

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:00 AM

I'm right with you Neil...with the wedges full & punch options, my yardages are

77 (full and punch)

So i've got lots of options inside of 100yd.

ALSO, some holes (like BPB #1) i find a full shot tends to land and stick 5-7 yards short (back pin location) but if I punch it, I can get a nice roll up to the flag or just behind it (that i like putting better than if i'm short).

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:28 PM

Master.

I never use the punch shot.

I do extremely well without it, and I haven't learned it, so I just go with what I know.  Due to the rave reviews, though, I will learn it in the very near future.

RSS