Forums

Help › Forums

Masters and Pros, a question

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 17 2010 7:18 AM (29 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:21 AM

Wish we had Polls on this forum, but this will have to do.  Just want to guage a feeling I had between Masters, Masters who are struggling and Pros trying to get better.

Definition (nothing personal and there are others that wont fall under these categories but I am just trying to define 3 types of players)

-Master-  being someone who is happy being a master and averages under 65 pretty consistently

-Struggling Master- someone who made master and felt they were not ready for it and are struggling with putting together CONSISTENT great rounds

-Trying to Improve Pros- someone who is actively trying to get better

The Question:

Is the punch shot one of the best tools in your arsenal for shots under 110yds?

I think its a great shot in the game, that many including some masters still dont use.  And hopefully some people come across this and it opens their eyes.

Answer format:  (Player type as listed above)(do you use the punch)(briefly why)

Myself, 

Master, I love punch shots and use them to gap all my club distances.  It allows good trajectory on low wedges that fill my yardage gaps and still have great spin.

• timpyron1980
    56 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:43 AM

I agree 100% with you Neil. I also use it to fill the gap between higher trajectory clubs and spin is very predictable. The light rough does not seem to affect the flight like it does on a full shot so it is a great "go to" shot. Anyone struggling with their distance to pin stat should benefit from the punch.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:39 AM

For my poll, I would put you in the "Master" category.  And yes to all you said, I play with all types and most dont know the punch.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 9:56 AM

Master, the punch shot is the best shot for gaps under 100 yards. But over 100 yards I usually hit a choked down Iron. Punch shot with Master Wedges or Pro Wedges stop pretty dead and it's nice to have them.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 10:05 AM

Master.

Use the punch shot once in awhile.

If my timing is on (and no crazy slopes in my landing area), any shot 95 yards and in I expect to put within 3 yards of the hole, using the full shot (or pitch shot if inside 15 yards).

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 1:03 PM

Ummm... I guess I fit in the "Master" definition the best  ;^)

Under 100 yards, the punch shot is probably the most alternate shot type used in my bag.  For me it's like having 4 extra wedges in my bag (yes 4!).  The punch fills all the gaps for me and then some.  I've even gotten to the point that I will not pitch anything over 20 yards because I have such great feel for my 41 yard punch shot (TM Satin Pro 64* rated at 50 yards full).  It has good height and stopping ability for such a short range, unlike a pitch that can seem to roll forever.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 1:11 PM

Master

I use the punch with the Satin 77 (63) and 50 (41) wedges almost as much as the full shots with those wedges. I think punches react nicely to spin and map very easily (partial swings.)

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 1:56 PM

pseudo master;   i only use it in 30% and above rough lies! actually ive been trying it on number 9 kiawah...seems to work quite well....off the faiirway!

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 2:48 PM

Pro - trying to get better with time and experience...

I only ever used punch shots in order to get out of rough areas and fescue. Now, thanks mainly to this post, I will try utilising this shot more in order to improve my gameplay and one day make the switch to higher grades. Thank you Neil!

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:22 AM

I use the punch shot only when the yardage is closest. I'd much rather use a %90-FULL wedge than a punch... but at certain ranges the punch shot really helps to attain accurate control of the distance. Anything within 30 yards I flop. Unorthodox... i know .. but i love the flop shot! =)

RSS