Forums

Help › Forums

Pro Tier Criteria for WGT Evaluation

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 24 2014 1:22 AM (57 replies)
  • drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2009 7:23 PM

Brought my average down to 63.05 and although I will probably will never compete for the top spot, I hope I'll be in the pro tier when it comes around. I guess it's just a matter of personal pride for me

• walka
    9 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2009 9:51 PM

a very easy fix to the people how drop off because they are having a bad round. Multiplayer games should not count on your rating. Only tournaments should count in your ratings.I would also like to see 4 round tournaments. The first 4 rounds you shoot is your score. It would be better than a 1 round tournament because you could over come a bad round and it would be more realistic than an unlimited play tourny.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2009 11:15 AM

Here are some of the things we have in the works. We are looking to de-emphasize the average score, by displaying a more complete range of stats, and maybe even changing how players are ranked. Hack tier prizes will also be adjusted to discourage sandbagging. As for multiplayer rounds, we would like to give players a choice to have them count towards their average score, but in general changes to our multiplayer system takes more time and planning so this will not be a quick fix. Thanks for all your feedback!

• majorwoods
    9 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2009 7:20 PM

When I play mutiplayer with my friends, I am not looking to have a huge challenge and play from the tees that are in the parking lot. I think you should be able to choose which tees you play from in multiplayer, I really could care less if it counted toward my score, I just want to have fun with my friends. If I can't even drive from the tee box to the fairway without spending money on better clubs then I am not having fun. Please consider allowing us to change tees for multiplayer and practice to make it more enjoyable.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2009 9:14 PM

Also, let us choose which course we would like to play.  I personally don't like Bethpage, I would like the option to pick either the front nine or back nine on the two courses that are available.  Multi player games are just no fun anymore...in my opinion.  Brandi

On a side note.....and I apologize if this has been talked about before.....(there are too many threads to read in the forums lately)  Why are the tiers closer in multi?  why not just make it all the same?  People don't like to play multi's now because they don't want to ruin what they "know" for the challenge. 

Really,  all I want and care about is the option to choose which course you play in the multi, with your friends.

• TaxAnalyst
    18 Posts
    Sat, Jul 11 2009 4:19 PM

Going back to Tibbets' post on 5-06-2008 regarding DRWR's legitimate request for more single-play tourneys...

Quote: "As far as the tournament format goes, the Unlimited play gives people about as good of a chance as it gets at winning.  If you put me in a 4 round 18 hole tournament, I guarantee you I will finish either 1st or 2nd every time.  I shoot lower more consistently than anyone, so that's only going to make me win more, and you less." -- Tibbets--

One needs only to look as far as the current Week 28 18 hole tournament to see why Tibbets' claim is drastically misguided and false.  The real truth is that many of the "best" players (Tibbets included) benefit from being able to hone in on the top score of a tourney by playing it over and over and over and over.  In the Week 28 18 holer, we see Tibbets shot a 72--good for 79th place so far.  Hardly the 64 average he sports, and a testament to the FACT that single-play formats brings the field closer together in competitiveness by forcing the players to play their best with no second chances. 

I agree with DRWR that single-play tourneys are a better measure of a player's true skill.  Unlimited play tourneys are a better measure of PERSISTENCE rather than ability.  I'm not knocking Tibbets, but its pretty much a fact that he wins most multi-play formats because he puts in far more time playing them and eventually cracks the code with persistence.  This isn't meant to be disrespectful or negative, its a separate ability all together.  But he is far less dominant in single-play, and that's the sentiment DRWR was stating, correctly.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Jul 11 2009 4:34 PM

I understand your point, but the data you are using to justify it is an aberration.  This will mark the first time I've finished lower than 4th on a weekly...ever.  Usually 4th place is within 2 or 3 shots of the lead, and over the course of a 4-round tournament the chances that the best players will shoot lights out increases.  The 1-time-score-of-my-life players will revert back to their averages, and when the best players do the same, you'll end up with a larger discrepency in end score.   My 1-time-worst-weekly-score-of-my-life was still par.  Throw in the average of what I normally shoot in those things for 3 more rounds and you get a top 5 finish...and that's with my worst score included in the mix.   Now erase the aberration, substitute an average round, and you get a top 2 finish.

Take a look at the last 12 tournaments, average out the scores of the players, and you'll see what I mean.  Until we have 4-round tournaments though, it's all speculation.  I, of course, am in favor of 4 round tournaments, as it limits the random luck "lottery-golf" element of the game and lets the cream rise to the top over time with consistency being highlighted over chance.  Numbers don't lie.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Jul 11 2009 4:39 PM

Well to be fair, this is an old thread and we were literally playing a different game back then.  Back then tibbets was posting consistently low 18-hole scores (single play or not) and still does.  One off week does not make the man, but only serves to back up his point.

He shot 72 this week, ok, but if he has 3 more tries to fix that (in a 4 round format)... what do you think is gonna happen?  He's gonna get back on his horse and throw down some 63's or 64's and a lot of folks are going to have a hard time catching up.

The only way we're gonna know for sure is to stop hypothesizing, play a few 4 rounders and see where the chips fall, though I have a tendency to believe that this will not favor the average joe.

*edit* ninja'd by the man himself! :D

*edit #2* rofl

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Jul 11 2009 4:45 PM

lol Forum ninjas are everywhere!  Must...type...faster...

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Sat, Jul 11 2009 5:28 PM

Hmmm..... something fishy here

RSS