Forums

Help › Forums

Buying Clubs - A guide from Hack to Master

Mon, Sep 3 2012 7:38 AM (37 replies)
  • ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:31 PM

By which I mean making the most of your credits from hack to master and minimising the amout of wastage. Here wastage meaning any time you have to trade in a redundant club for the 25% buy back price.

I did things the hard way, bought a lot of stuff that I eventually replaced and spent a lot more than I needed to. So here's my guide for purchasing equipment (not including balls which are an on-going expense and a completely personal thing).

DISCLAIMER: The following is just my opinion, you are entitled to yours.

Hack -

You should not be purchasing equipment at this level. Attempt to reach Amateur with the Starter clubs.

Amateur -

You should not be purchasing equipment at this level. Attempt to reach Pro with the Starter clubs.

Pro -

Ok, you've got to Pro and things are getting a bit difficult. Now is the time to look into getting a few new clubs:
    1) Daytona Rossa Putter (Cost $7.50)
    2) Tour Pro 9.5deg Driver (Cost $3.00)
    3) TM Z Satin TP Pro 64deg wedge (Cost $2.50)
    4) TM Z Satin TP Pro 60deg wedge (Cost $2.00)

The Daytona will make a huge difference to your scores and can be taken to master level with no problems. I should mention that some prefer the Redwood putter, but I am a Daytona man. The Driver will eventually be replaced so that is why I recommend a modest cost here, but at 245 yards this driver should be good enough for reaching master level with sufficient practice.

The 64deg wedge is a must but the other is a personal choice. The pair I listed give distances of 50 yards and 77 yards.

Master -

Phew, master level. And it hurts right? But you've got wedges and a putter to handle the faster greens, it's just that distance off the tee is now a problem. Time to finish your set:
    1) R9 TP Master 8.5deg Driver (Cost $8.00 and replaces the Tour Pro)
    2) G10 Master Iron Set (Cost $12.00)
    3) G10 Master 3 Fairway Wood (Cost $3.00)
    4) TM Z Satin TP Master 60deg wedge (Cost $2.50 AND REPLACES YOUR HYBRID)

Trade in value on the Tour Pro Driver - $3 x 25% = $0.75

The R9 Master driver is great value and one of the furthest hitting in the game. The G10 irons have high ball flight and great precision and spin. They are a firm favourite among many masters. The wedge is the one I use, giving a distance spread of 50, 77, 90 but again, it is a personal choice. Just make sure you get one with plenty of spin and precision.

Overall -

Total cost is $39.75 which includes the money back for the Tour Pro Driver. Total wastage is $2.25.

ComplexP

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:38 PM

That was somewhat Complex... but good.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:54 PM

Doublemochaman:

Ah, I see what you've done there... Very good :op

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 2:02 PM

Doublemochaman:

Nice guide. =)

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 2:30 PM

WGTniv:

Nice guide. =)

Looks like it gets the official 'niv' seal of approval.

Thanks Niv!

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:52 AM

lol    Vn,   wish  this had been there about a year ago,  would have saved me about $20 in wastage.

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 11:36 AM

Excellent guide Complex. I purchased a full set of Rapture Amateurs early on and found myself at Pro level  the next day, lol. I think you might save a few people from a similar fate.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 12:25 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

If this humble poster has saved a single person a single credit I will consider it a success :)

Of course, if I were to have saved someone several thousand credits I use the G13-D balls (cough, cough).

• shneady
    17 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 2:29 PM

To save even more money just dont buy any clubs until you reach master, in my opinion you do not need them at lower tiers. You certainly will at master though :o

I got to master in about 1.5 months with the starter set and am now contemplating spending some money but the lack of any updates and few courses is putting me off.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 3:04 PM

Great post ComplexP.

Hey WGTniv...   Wanna borrow mine?

RSS