Help › Forums

Master Redwood Putter

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 7 2010 8:48 AM (20 replies)
  • ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:39 PM

Anyone tried it yet?

I use the Daytona right now. Is it worth looking at? And what does the balance stat do anyway?

The Daytona seems accurate enough to me.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:46 PM

Hi Complex,

FYI, explanation on Balance is here: http://wgt.com/forums/p/11246/73229.aspx#73229

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 3:02 PM

I tried it for about 36 holes today. There are a number of differences:

- meter speed is a big one for me. I'm used to the Daytona, and because my putting style is "aim and ding" as opposed to the very popular "intentional miss," I found the slightly faster meter speed threw me off a little. I could get used to it, but I find that for putts over 10 ft I need to ding the putter in order to make it.

- I found that when I did "ding" the Master Redwood, it rolled very true. If you missed it the line, it was tough to make.

- I missed the 60 meter. I've played the old Redwood and I enjoyed the 45, but now I basically putt anything between 14 and 30 ft with the 60, and it's easy to keep on line. Again, just me, but I don't like how it goes from 45 to 90. I think 30-60-90 is a easy progression.

- I tried the "intentional miss" method for a while, and I liked that more with the Redwood than with my trusty Daytona.

Bottom line, I'm sticking with the Daytona. The 1/2 ball extra precision and balance probably won't make a huge difference for me. I think the places where it would matter the most are St. Andrews #9, if you have a long eagle putt across a gentle slope or a flat area, or long putts at BPB where it's flat and you want the truest roll.  I make enough 40-60 footers in those areas with my Daytona (if I ding it).

I think for some of the exceptional players, who make everything inside 30 ft and 40-50% over that, this putter might help them, no matter how they putt. I'm not in that category, so I'm sticking with the Daytona. There might come a time when I'll switch, but an admittedly very brief look at it didn't entirely convince me.

GL!

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 3:12 PM

Thanks for the in depth reply, much appreciated. I wonder if a master daytona putter is in the pipeline...?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 3:13 PM

I have the new Redwood and find the meter speed to be irrelevant since I use the larger scale for shorter putts method. Very little difference between the two there.  I haven't used it enough to comment on the other attributes but I'm sure they will make a difference. With the meter speed not being an issue I'm keeping it. 

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 6:20 PM

I can see how the new redwood putter will better align the swing speed of other master clubs... but i've yet to try it and doubt that I will. My experience has been that for every new club i purchase it takes weeks to really get the feel for it... and although i'm not that great with the daytona I do have somewhat of a feel for it and the meter range it provides.

When I first signed up on here I wanted to buy every new club that WGT released... and I have bought and sold back many... now I guess i'm just trying to settle in and focus more on my game play as opposed to equipment.. just me though.

Cheers and GL

• TextMyPC
    232 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 7:02 PM

Yes,

Love it! Finally!

The extra half ball of precision is the biggest noticeability especially if you use the mishit putting approach which I do. With the Daytona, you get used to the less precision and learn to work around it, but with the new Master Redwood, it's incredible.

Not sure it's worth the $31.80 but if you enjoy the game as much as I do, it's worth it to me.

Oh and I've shot about 12 Ready-Go's with it. It DOES take some getting used but it's well worth the getting used to.

TMP

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:57 PM

Yep, I love the new putter.  I definitely miss having the 45ft scale. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 4:39 AM

TextMyPC:
    Not sure it's worth the $31.80

It isn't. They must be selling knockoffs in the Pro Shop-mine only cost $13.85.        

:-D

• TextMyPC
    232 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 6:44 AM

Yeah YJ,

I paid an extra $20 for insurance.

RSS