Forums

Help › Forums

sandbagger

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 11 2013 7:59 AM (26 replies)
  • Hack86
    5 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2013 5:03 AM

my question is how can a WGT player be at the amature stage and be on level 88 that is not right in my opinion 

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2013 11:24 AM

1. He/she is a lousy player, or

2. He/she is not playing the types of games that affect average by being innocently hooked on playing a particular game that doesn't affect average,or

3. Deliberately sandbagging.

Note that two of the three reasons are legitimate.

• alosso
    21,027 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2013 1:22 PM

By which "law" should deliberate sandbagging be outlawed?

(disclaimer: I don't support it)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2013 4:36 PM

Neither the OP nor I said anything about a law. I can guess, however, that you are thinking about a narrow definition of the word "legitimate."

Besides references to the rule of law, Merriam-Webster defines legitimate as "being exactly as purposed : neither spurious nor false" and "conforming to recognized principles."

Intentional sandbagging is a false presentation of your abilities to prospective competitors and does not conform to the recognized principle of honesty.

• alosso
    21,027 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2013 10:21 PM

Yep - legitimate includes lex which is law...

I see your point from a golfer's POV, but this is an online game. Purposed action and recognized principles may be different in this community, there's even a public CC of baggers. And, different to real golf, nothing is written down to support any opinion, this way or the other. The rules allow for many different behaviours.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Jun 8 2013 5:44 AM

Online game or not, sandbagging is dishonest.

• alosso
    21,027 Posts
    Sat, Jun 8 2013 6:19 AM

I agree from the ethical point of view.

• borntobesting
    9,601 Posts
    Sat, Jun 8 2013 1:12 PM

srellim234:

Online game or not, sandbagging is dishonest.

It really depends on why the players are not playing stroke play rounds to lower their average. Some just want to play A/S and don't play much of anything else.And I see nothing wrong with that. They don't advance in the tiers and don't take credits from anyone dishonestly.

It is the ones who just play MPC to win credits that are the problem,you might not see as much of that as before. But then  many of those same players will just start a new account and start it all over again.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Jun 8 2013 10:59 PM

borntobesting:
    Some just want to play A/S and don't play much of anything else.And I see nothing wrong with that. They don't advance in the tiers and don't take credits from anyone dishonestly.

But they take wins dishonestly.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Jun 8 2013 11:06 PM

courteneyfish:
    But they take wins dishonestly.

Nothing in the rules forcing ranked rounds on people.

It's only dishonest when connived, to deliberately only do it so they can win, and the one's that seek to do that will (I beggar) do it almost invariably for credit's. The credit's bit is all 99.9999999999999% care about!

RSS