Help › Forums

I made pro yesterday and my average has skyrocketed

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 29 2010 3:29 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MByrd
    9 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 1:19 PM

I made pro yesterday and my average has skyrocketed by about 4 points in the last day.  I simply can't play the course from the distance change.  Suggestions please.

Also, can we get serious about the play around the greens.  If I put from the fringe on any course other than St. Andrews, the ball doesn't move very far, in some cases, it doesn't move at all.  How is that possible?

Just found this game about a week ago, so I'm new and willing to stick it out for a bit.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 2:16 PM

Putts from the fringe are tricky and short. Always add a few feet to those. Take your time moving up tier's also, not an easy game to play and takes time. Good luck and enjoy MB

• MByrd
    9 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:27 PM

Thanks claremoreblue for the information.  For an example, I had a 20 foot putt from the fringe (had to go through about two feet of fringe).  I gave it about 30 feet of power and it went about two inches.  The same thing happens when I try to hit pitches and chips from the light rough (20-25% lie).  It's frustrating to throw strokes away like that. 

I suppose that new equipment would also help my cause with being able to play from the further back tees.

Thanks, I welcome any other suggestions, tips, whatever from the rest of you more experienced players.

MB

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:32 PM

MByrd... in general only putt from the fringe if you have a foot or so to the green.  Only chip from the fringe or from the fairway, never from the rough.  And pitching works well in the rough but always hit with 75% or more power to be safe.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:38 PM

You learned something new today which is an improvement to your game. Never ever putt from that spot again. Happy Golfing and good luck.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:44 PM

Making balls react more realistically from off the putting surface is an improvement I'd like to see...but I also understand there is a penalty for missing the green.  Soooo, when you can not afford that 'oops', it might be prudent to get the ball up and over the thick stuff.  A poor chip is probably better than a putt that does not move.

Joey  

• MByrd
    9 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:58 PM

Thanks for all of the information gentlemen.  I have learned some valuable information.  I would, however, like to see the ball react more realistically from the fringe, though.  I typically will put from the fringe through a couple feet of fringe in real life and the ball reacts quite differently than it does on the game.

@Joey.  Yep, cost me a par.  I should be playing more practice rounds than I am right now.  I have been playing all of my rounds for ranking.  I guess I didn't even pay attention to that function.  I am going to go into practice mode until I buy some new equipment.  Thanks again folks.

MB

• emerfish
    20 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 4:36 PM

I'm no "master" and have just touched the surface on learning this game.  I had bad results when I first started chipping the ball, read the forums and lot's of people said not to chip unless you were almost on the green, but when I started playing BPB & Oakmont I found I was in a chipping situation all the time. Started trying some chips and messed up pretty bad for a day or two and then magic started to happen. Now I look forward to a chip shot!  Same with bunker shots. MByrd,  Do not believe you can't chip from over two feet off the green.

Yea Joey, It freaks me out too, watching an egg rolling across the green.lol

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:36 PM

Hi MByrd,

You have a lot to learn about this game, it doesnt happen in 2 weeks. I have been here 2+ years and am still enjoying it, and still learning - I'm not really  that good to be honest, but I try hard lol.

A lot of players have made Master using the pro clubs, so its not impossible.

My tip for you, take your time, dont be in any rush to get to Master - learn the basics. You will be able to drive reasonably well, however like the real thing its the short game and putting thats important. It will save those pars when you have been in a difficult situ and thats the key.

Try and take advantage of the birdie holes and hang tough on the more difficult ones.

Dont be discouraged, it can be very frustrating at times - stick with it, it'll pay off.

Now - get off to the practice fairways and start practicing.

Good Luck, and have fun.

Cheers

Doug

• doepanther
    2 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:44 PM

I have been playing for a few weeks now.  Any tips on how to get credits other than buying them.  It is hard to play the longer courses with the beginner clubs and balls.  I need to upgrade, but not really wanting to pay for it.  Any suggestions?  Is there a certain average I need to get more credits?

• PAGES
RSS