Forums

Help › Forums

Annoying

Fri, Jul 30 2010 9:04 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Winchman
    2 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 1:53 AM

Not sure if it's just me but has anyone noticed that, sometimes, you hit the ball bang on the line, get told it's an excellent swing and then watch in dismay as your shot goes nowhere near the line you were hitting down and veers off into trouble.  Is this just a part of the game to make life a little more difficult or something that may need looking at.  It's just cost me 3 or 4 shots on one hole (Kiawah no. 17).  Hit what I thought was a lovely shot straight at the flag only to see it go miles left and into the water.  I obviously let it affect me and ended up taking a 6 when I could have had a birdie if it had gone where I was aiming in the first place.

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 2:09 AM

I've noticed the same problems. Another problem that makes me furious is the sudden change in WIND direction as you near your target. Obviously, you guys in programming need to fix this problem. I am the owner of a software development company, and if one of my people were to program like this...well he or she would be looking for employment elsewhere.

You've made the game very annoying, not to mention the constant stalls from your server!!! I'm playing on a T3 line into a MAC XSAN server onto an iMac. So tell me it's my computer.

I also like the way you guys have yourself cloaked so nobody can contact Tech Support...cute...I am about ready to tell all my friends that this game is fine when you're a HACK...but as you progress... you run into programming issue problems. As a matter of fact I think I may have my staff work on my own version.

You also need to change the Game Conditions. I've never seen a real green that's as hard as a basketball court...with weather conditions and all. get my drift?

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 9:53 AM

What the OP is describing is a feature of the game.  it can happen from time to time, but it can also help you.  Ever mishit a shot and it ends up ok?  It throws a little unpredictability into the game on occasion, it doesn't happen often.  Also the clubs you are playing have a lot to do with how accurate your shots are.  Low rated clubs are forgiving by not accurate.  Also intended to keep the game from becoming to easy. 

Canine, as you progress in the game, its still the same game.  Same server issues when overloaded during certain times.  Still played on FLASH which could be the cause of the loading and meter issues. 

As for the wind, I have not seen the wind change directions during a shot, but the ball will be affected by the wind, so what could be starting as a southeast wind, the more the ball is pusched by the wind its no longer traveling in the same line, so the wind will eventually be more impacted on the southern half of the ball, and less on the side of the ball.  And I am assuming you play only on courses with NO wind, or at least no gusts of wind.  Also I am assuming all the courses you play are perfectly watered, and drain perfectly not to come accross any hard greens.  In summer greens can dry out, or portions of the greens that are raised can become impacted harder then other spots, so balls coming in hot can reflect off those spots or greens.

I dont doubt your programming skills, and no offense, but if you dont get that not every green is the same, winds change, and that a perfectly stroke ball can veer from where you "think" you aimed (talking real life golf, there is no way to know if you hit a ball perfectly) then I wouldn't want your team developing an online golf game.  If you want an extremely easy game, that is not as close to realistic, try TWO.  Heck now they even let you see the shot before you hit it.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 9:54 AM

@Winchman ....  Welcome to WGT.  Please use the search box over there ----> and enter "Beast" or "VEMmie".  You will understand that there are programmed into the game minor variations in each shot. 

After awhile you will get to see that they average out, good and bad.  There have been many times that I have missed my mark and had a positive result.  The general consensus is that this will replicate the many variables we experience in the real game of golf.

In other words, and to be a bit cheeky... "It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE!!".  =)

@CanineSupervisor...  Thank you for coming in to save us from ourselves.  Please contact WGT immediately to take over and handle the business side of a venture that is failing so miserably!

(/sarcasm)

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 10:00 AM

canine, if you want the physics of how a ball is impacted by wind, and how the change in ball flight can impact how the continuous wind will still affect it, please let me know and I can draw something up.  But quite simply, if you are a righty, ever block a drive into a wind blowing from northeast?  Ever slightly pull a drive into a wind coming from the northeast?  Which goes further? 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 10:13 AM

[View:http://wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:450:0]

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 12:24 PM

The wind.  That is what makes golf so great.  And so complicated.  If wind is not your thing take up bowling, billiards or drinking (but not on a seaside deck).

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 12:47 PM

Thanks for the lesson on programming, sir. It was not my intention to AGITATE so many programmers from WGT...LOL! I do understand features..as do I understand BETA versions(complete with....well that's why they call it BETA).

it is not my intention to save you from yourselves...I ride not the trusty stead, nor possess anything akin to armor...

I did not imply that WGT was failing miserably as you have so eloquently phrased it, sir. I wish nothing but the best for WGT. I would, however, like to see more courses added to the game.

Now I see why your Avatar is a pit-viper. Constructive criticism is what most posters intend.

Have a fabulous day, sir, and don't bite too many other members.

• CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 12:49 PM

Thank you sir. maybe I should do just that. Hopefully there will be no wind where I go.

I guess I had better move out of Malibu then. Thanks.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 1:04 PM

Canine... I'd stay in Malibu, enjoy the tropical drinks on the numerous decks, wear the sunscreen and a visor to keep the hair from being mussed... and make sure to get up to Sandpiper in Santa Barbara or that little seaside links a few hundrend feet north of Carmel on occasion.

• PAGES
RSS