Forums

Help › Forums

problem st. andrews on No. 17

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 22 2010 1:33 PM (9 replies)
  • rickertt
    16 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 10:34 AM

On the No. 17 green when you can use a putter because of the bunker being in the way, the program will let you select but not execute a shot with a wedge.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 12:41 PM

That's correct.  Clubs are not rated to be hit off of the green, so they will not react as they would if they were hit off the fairway.   You'll need to practice and learn which shots work best in that situation.  The best advice I can give is to avoid the front of #17 green as no good can come of it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 12:43 PM

This might help a little-discussion about doing it and how to.   

http://wgt.com/forums/t/12424.aspx?PageIndex=1

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 12:48 PM

Just had this putt from 124ft, aimed a little right to hug the fringe, hit a well aimed putt, but a little too hard otherwise it would have broke to the right near the bunker, then back to the left coming back to the hole.  As NIV said sometimes its just better to avoid certain things.  You might want to lay up short instead of trying to muscle a shot out of the rough to barely trickle onto the green.

• calfaro
    46 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 4:04 PM

would you use a wedge on a real green. i think not

• rickertt
    16 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 4:37 PM

Yes. Would and have. You just don't go deep with your swing like you would from thick rough.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 5:24 PM

If a golf course architect designs a green in a shape that can put a trap or rough between you and the hole he's gotta know the prudent golfer, shooting for score, will hit a chip or wedge off the green every time.  It goes with the territory.  I have had to do it on occasion... though I cringe...  (then meekly replace the divot).

• kweg4
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:27 PM

i think so.  i've seen the pros hit a wedge off the green, so why can't you do it here.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:30 PM

Hi All,

Another approach on this hole which works very very well is simply to lay up. OK - you're not going to birdie it, but you have a good chance of par - which on this hole is good.

If you lay up around 60 - 80 yds short you have a real nice full wedge in to the pin, and the good thing is the shot will hold. Tried it twice now - instead of gunning for the pin, just layed it up and played a nice wedge in real close - got my par and moved on.

Try it - it works.

Cheers

Doug

• iukine
    195 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 1:33 PM

There's 2 shots you can't do here that all of us have done on a real course, one is the lofted club on the green(legal shot by the way) and the other is the driver off the fairway, why we can't use these 2 shots is a mystery to me. Hopefully one day they will be incorperated into the game.

RSS