Forums

Help › Forums

Wind...

Mon, Jul 19 2010 2:38 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Sat, Jul 17 2010 8:27 PM

OK, I know a master probably shouldn't be having to ask this question, but...   wind is kicking my ass...  especially on St. A's in the Weekly 9, where it's anywhere between 25-31 mph on every hole, usually from the side...  and it seems like it's effect on the shot is not consistent from hole to hole, but then, that could just be my misunderstanding...  

I do think I understand that wind's effect is lessened the shorter the shot, but it's the horizontal effect that I'm having the most issue with. 

Is there some sort of benchmark for wind's effect on shots? I haven't found a way to measure distance horizontally, so, anyone else have any tips on how to manage wind?

Thanks kindly for your help.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Sat, Jul 17 2010 9:09 PM

Most of the fairways on St. Andrews are so bumpy and unpredictable I just read the with wind to the best of my ability and keep my fingers crossed. I don't usually have a problem with approaches... mostly just the tee shots bouncing inadvertently off the fairways.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:02 PM

sry     nothing I can put on paper ( or here )  It is a feel thing for me   I just move the cursor till it     feels  right,  I supposed if I measured it I could tell you approx mesurements  but  I dont play with  gadgits  so  .....       on my screen  it about ................   < that far for 20 ............< that far  for 15 etc and  of course  it depends on the  other variables  like with to the right against to the right   etc.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 4:26 PM

RChapman2010:

OK, I know a master probably shouldn't be having to ask this question, but...   wind is kicking my ass...  especially on St. A's in the Weekly 9, where it's anywhere between 25-31 mph on every hole, usually from the side...  and it seems like it's effect on the shot is not consistent from hole to hole, but then, that could just be my misunderstanding...  

I do think I understand that wind's effect is lessened the shorter the shot, but it's the horizontal effect that I'm having the most issue with. 

Is there some sort of benchmark for wind's effect on shots? I haven't found a way to measure distance horizontally, so, anyone else have any tips on how to manage wind?

Thanks kindly for your help.

What has helped me lately is using the punch shot instead of full swing shots with my irons on extremely windy days. The wind doesn't affect the punch shot as much as it does the full swing shot. The shot going lower somewhat under the wind.

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 4:48 PM

That's what I was afraid of, LOL...   and, for now, what I've been doing...  just finished 18 at St. A's - 15 straight pars, then a bird, then a bogey, then another bird, lol...  

Getting better...  thx for all the feedback.

wizbang360:

It is a feel thing for me   I just move the cursor till it     feels  right

• Hootowl9
    392 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 4:49 PM

Using you reverse cameras to view the hilly/rolling fairways helps when I take wind into consideration. On my tee shots I may move the shot over approx. 25 yards to the right or left on a strong side wind. Then again I'm no a Master player.

Are you the Rob Chapman whom runs the online NPBL (OOTP version) Baseball leauge?? If so this is the Wisconsin Lumberjacks GM.

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 7:10 PM

Nope, I just draw stuff, like this:

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 7:44 PM

^^^^ damn, impressive

And in regard to winds, it really is just a feel thing you pick up through practice.  Each club reacts completely differently.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 8:28 PM

Yeah Chapman, wiz pretty much nailed it on this one. Make sure you put enough strength on the shot though, so the ball has a chance to get to the hole. You don't want to land it short.

You'll get a feel for how much to allow for different wind speeds with experience.

• drewsterinone
    190 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 9:28 PM

Ima take a long shot on what i think about the wind.

Aight

If the wind is coming at you and to the left, say 10mph...i play about 15ft. outside of the hole

same scenerio wind coming from right to left...i play about 25ft.  and vice versa left to right wind for both

if its 20mph coming from left to right...i play aobut 30ft. from the cup...

I seem to always divide the wind in half at 20mph,   and take the amount over 10mph as yards. so 16mph in your face wind...i add/subtract six yards... about six yards...then adjust form there on all shots..  +/- This all gets me pin length but its all feel from there on. Landing short, or rolling it out and such

Hope that helps a bit

DREW

if not...keep doing what your doing

• PAGES
RSS