Forums

Help › Forums

Pause on on the backswing

Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:05 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:47 AM

I have noticed that holding at the top of the backswing for about 4-5seconds before letting the mouse button go actually seems to improve my accuracy with hitting the sweet spot.

I have no idea why this is but it feels like the meter moves a little slower although this could all be in my mind. It could just be the extra few seconds allows my brain to focus on the task at hand a little more.

In real golf, a slower backswing with a slight pause at the top will often result in a better contact so is it beyond reason to assume that the WGT swing mechanic simulates this in some way? It could also account for why so many people report inconsistent meter speeds when using exactly the same equipment.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:57 AM

It's probably due to your CPU settling down.

I know on my end, even though the screen loads and I can swing, the game still isn't fully loaded (which is seen by the high cpu utilization that drops down after a few seconds).

If I swing with high CPU utilization, the swing meter can be very erratic.   If I wait for it to settle down, the meter is usually consistent.   Though there are times when CPU util will drop, but then spike back up unexpectedly.   ALL the CPU util are being used by the browser running the game from my observations.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 11:28 AM

That is a good point but my swing meter is smooth most times. Just seems slower.

• ForFoxSake
    28 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 12:35 AM

ComplexP:

I have noticed that holding at the top of the backswing for about 4-5seconds before letting the mouse button go actually seems to improve my accuracy with hitting the sweet spot.

I have no idea why this is but it feels like the meter moves a little slower although this could all be in my mind. It could just be the extra few seconds allows my brain to focus on the task at hand a little more.

In real golf, a slower backswing with a slight pause at the top will often result in a better contact so is it beyond reason to assume that the WGT swing mechanic simulates this in some way? It could also account for why so many people report inconsistent meter speeds when using exactly the same equipment.

Played a game using pause technique  definitely makes for steadier meter (Due in fact to CPU settling down I firmly believe as stated by another member) AND if ya remember if the meter stutters DONT strike the ball and it'll just do a practice swing no stroke will be counted the next meter shot almost always is smooth as a....  well you know. I think theres a lot of impatient players whippin the club back meter wise and immediately releasing mouse for more CPU work. Affecting meter badly. Get a program that shows CPU use and move the mouse and watch CPU cycles and see for yourself....

FFS

• ForFoxSake
    28 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 3:15 AM

I use 2 monitors so I can watch cpu usage on task manager (Ctrl Alt Del) when its low cpu cycle I  swing..cpu settles down after game window resets picture or opponent swings...... Meter NEVER STUTTERS now EVER .........its all about the CPU cycles people!! your meter stutters cause you got stuff running your cpu ragged like spyware or too many running programs or browser windows I wouldn't suggest trying to burn a CD while playing WGT. actually your task manager meter is visible in right hand bottom screen icon beside the time....you can see when it settles down swing then.

• ForFoxSake
    28 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 10:13 PM

Downloaded a FREEBIE cpu MONITOR PROGRAM called Bionic CPU Peeker v2.7 allows me to see cpu use but you need 2 monitors to do this. Somewhere would be a CPU monitor that you can see on task bar for single monitor use. I find that if you leave task manager open long it freezes. (Ctrl Alt Del program)

Simple...when CPU settles down....swing..... I get no meter stutter since i started doing that.

My scores are lower I shoot closer to pin more often....

• vpc1sgt
    19 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 9:52 AM

Don't know why (I'm no computer genius), but I just tried this "pause" suggestion and it worked GREAT, at least for today.   I've had continuous issues with a skipping meter for quite sometime now and this was a welcome change.   I even tried it on my laptop (a MUCH lower grade machine) and shot a 32 on BPB.   I've NEVER been able to play on that thing!!!   Then shot an 18 hole 64 (if I'd slow the hell down, coulda been 60 or 61) on KI.   Always told myself that I was playing TOO fast.   I do the same damn thing on a real golf course!!

Thanks for the suggestion.   Maybe I can get through Oakmont with a decent score now!!  

V

• ForFoxSake
    28 Posts
    Mon, Jul 26 2010 8:21 PM

http://download.cnet.com/PowwwerSoft-CPU-Monitor/3000-2072_4-10380594.html

This cpu tool will allow you to see cpu spikes and avoid shooting during them. tiny always on top tool

you need to set it to a bout 3/10ths second refresh

Backswing and pause....cpu will settle to something lower than 100%....... like its 40% on my machine then I release mouse to shoot.

NO STUTTERING METER

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Jul 26 2010 9:27 PM

Golf clap  for ComplexP!!!    he may have mentioned the pause to get a better ding rate  but can tell you from experience  it almost eliminates the meter stutter! have been doing it for about a week and my average dropped 4 points!

Thx  CP  !

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Jul 26 2010 9:46 PM

You know what's funny? I don't have one problem with the game, and I still can't score good. It's totally on me and the way I play the game. Now if I could only sink them pesky 6 footers for birdie, I'd be in there. lol!

Cheers!

• PAGES
RSS