Help › Forums

Couple questions...

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 10 2010 4:50 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 9:53 PM

First, concerning wind - should a horizontal wind affect distance at all? In theory, I think it would, since you'd have to aim left or right, and the curved trajectory would be physically longer than a straight shot, right? I've noticed that it both has and hasn't affected shots of mine, so I thought I'd just throw it out there...

Second, concerning distance on the putting green meter - I'm aware that on a "fast" green the ball will roll a bit farther, and on "slow" green shorter, etc., but what I'm curious about is which green speed is the distance measured off of? IOW, if I'm on a "fast" green and hit a 15 ft. putt (and let's consider it a flat green with no break or elevation), should it go 15 feet? Does this make any sense? I know what I want to know, just not exactly how to ask it... (and if anyone knows where one of these greens are, let me know ;)

And finally - anyone else think the greens are noticeably faster at Kiawah today?! I can't get ANYthing to drop...  Now, I haven't been here long enough to know if things like that can be tweaked by WGT, and maybe I'm just having an off day, but it sure seems like my normal spots have a bit more speed to them...

Anywho - thanks for your input!

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 10:38 PM

RChapman2010:
    In theory, I think it would, since you'd have to aim left or right, and the curved trajectory would be physically longer than a straight shot, right?

I agree  I would think it would,  but  if you ding it and it goes with the wind might it not go farther beacuse it is going with the wind?

RChapman2010:
    (and if anyone knows where one of these greens are, let me know ;)

#9  st andys

RChapman2010:
    anyone else think the greens are noticeably faster at Kiawah today?

No    dont play it much,   hate that course    lol

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Wed, Jul 7 2010 10:59 PM

wizbang360:

I agree  I would think it would,  but  if you ding it and it goes with the wind might it not go farther beacuse it is going with the wind?

OK, now you're gettin' into the real physics questions LOL...  I took the "Bill Nye" physics classes in college...

wizbang360:
    No    dont play it much,   hate that course    lol

Just out of morbid curiosity, why? Might answer some questions I don't know I had lol

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 5:36 AM

RChapman2010:
    IOW, if I'm on a "fast" green and hit a 15 ft. putt (and let's consider it a flat green with no break or elevation), should it go 15 feet?

remember on flat green yes fast is the standard, 15ft = 15ft.

Slow => Add 20% to the distance stated

Fast => Use distance as stated

Very Fast => Subtract 10% from the distance stated ( 

This is a very good starting point.  Please remember to also take in elevation and break!  And also the longer the putt the more roll it will have because of momentum. 

Cheers

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 6:10 AM

I hate Kiawah too. The main reason I hate it, is because the greens are very difficult to read in a consistent manner. The problem is, the front and reverse views are rarely in a direct line of the ball and the hole. That means you're reading the slope of an entirely different line, which might not accurately reflect the line you should play.

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 6:14 AM

I agree with you on that, Zig. Some of the camera angles that come up for shots are definitely of the WTF category - and I usually always putt from reverse anyway...  but yeah, looking at your shot from, say, a 10:00 position is very difficult, and I wish there was a way to turn that off (there isn't, is there?!).

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 6:47 AM

wizbang360:

Not necessarily.

If you hit a iron into a left to right wind, and the iron is to short to even reach the pin, or front of the green for that matter, the ball is going to take-off in the direction of the wind right off the club face, even if you compensated for the wind. 

A longer iron, or the right iron will hold the line better when more inertia is put to the ball, allowing for more ball carry, and allowing the wind to correctly carry the ball to the hole. It simple physics, but not rocket science. I wish I could explain it better.

It's not a bug in the game like some suggest when these deviations happen, it's the game mocking real life golf, and VEM helps achieve this aspect. IMO of course.  : )

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 6:53 AM

b0geybuster:

Slow => Add 20% to the distance stated

Fast => Use distance as stated

Very Fast => Subtract 10% from the distance stated ( 

This sounds like an effective way to adjust. I prefer to have separate values for the different scales based on the speed. Slow greens have one and Very Fast greens have another. Then, playing the other conditions becomes a strength adjustment off a scale you are already familiar with. For instance, on Tournament speed like the Opens I can back off the Very Fast values accordingly. This is where the "feel" thing comes in, something you will notice the more you putt. GL

• pardog06
    53 Posts
    Thu, Jul 8 2010 7:08 AM

bogeys theroy is strong starting point imo :) You must truly have a good understanding of how a real green works from dew covered mrning to dry afternoon sun beaten greens!from a green shade covered all day to a green that is in the open,ect!the list gos on and on .The point is that imo WGT has done an incredible job of mimicking how these changes effect balls entire movement!So the theroy works to start but you have to understand that if you have a 15 foot put with a -5inch left to right break on very fast green That you must subtract much more and add much more to how far the ball will break...lmao i know its complicated.but hope it helps :)

Pardog06

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 4:44 PM

RChapman2010:

Just out of morbid curiosity, why? Might answer some questions I don't know I had lol

lol   just because  I cant putt worth a dang , and the greens are  killer. and  I guess because  I am not  set up, club wise, for that course.

• PAGES
RSS