Help › Forums

Flag visibility

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:47 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Chazzz7
    53 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:22 AM

YJ i don't think the flag can be used as a guide for wind direction i noticed the wind in my face and the flag blowing away a few times.

• pardog06
    53 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:30 AM

There is a wind meter that gives exact wind read at all time??this may be a dumb question but why do you need to see the flag move when you have a wind meter?

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:48 AM

I'm NOT asking to see the flag move, don't care about that at all.  I just want it to be visible & from some fairway views in the game you cannot see the flag even though there is a clear field of view.  I guess I'm going to need to post screenshots to keep people from derailing this, lol.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 8:35 AM

pardog06:
    There is a wind meter that gives exact wind read at all time??this may be a dumb question but why do you need to see the flag move when you have a wind meter?

Because one of the things that I get confused on is the actual direction the wind is going at the pin. I'm sure you've noticed that in the zoom view the arrows change from what they were off the tee. Looking at the flag, just as IRL, is not a guess if the flag is actually a true picture of what is going on. Your zoom views skew the actual angle the wind is blowing at so when you're aiming to compensate for it you're never sure which line to move the aimer on.

If you haven't figured it out, pardog, the wind indicator and strength is only part of the aiming process. Your particular clubs, shot selection and setup affect this but you'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure exactly where to aim. Just knowing the flag is flapping lazily or standing straight out gives you enough info to make a decent decision, again just like IRL.

@chazz-that's what I was looking for. If what you say is true then the waving is generic. Thanks.

AvatarLee and PugsAce do a nice job explaining direction here .  http://wgt.com/forums/t/5918.aspx?PageIndex=1

I was just hoping the flag was accurate.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:56 AM

Jim, I've always noticed the flag just blowing back and forth, never giving an accurate reading of the wind direction. I keep it off for that reason.

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:42 PM

Perfect example of what I'm talking about is St Andrews #8

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:26 PM

ROFL

werksux:
    Maybe if you moved that marker from time to time in order to adjust for wind it would improve your scores. 

Ohh    that was soooo uncalled for,  I was  not dissing YOU   dont appreciate you dissing me,  the reason  I am not sub 60 like you is my reflexs,   I adjust for wind on every shot!!   I dont need to see the flag because  I know where it is when my shot comes up,   if I need to move it   I move it right or left of the default position that the game  gives me,  it is  ALWAYS  on the flag,  not most of the time  but  ALWAYS!  soo seeing the flag  is not a prioity for me.   Way too much weed and drink in the seventies gave me a terrible memory and bad reflexs, all my fault by the way,  soo I am not as good as you. That simple.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:32 PM

YankeeJim:
    Because one of the things that I get confused on is the actual direction the wind is going at the pin.

Is this game that intricate that the wind speed and angle  ( including gusts with the ball in the air )  change  from pin to tee?  that would be a good thing to know.

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:56 PM

lol, wiz don't take it personal, I don't know you or even what you're avg is, it was tongue in cheek man, take it easy.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:47 AM

wizbang360:
          Is this game that intricate that the wind speed and angle  ( including gusts with the ball in the air )  change  from pin to tee?  that would be a good thing to know.

It isn't that it changes but the view you get does. You don't always get to  look at the pin head on so you have to figure out the direction the ball is actually coming from and it isn't always from your view. This is where, if the flag was a true indicator, it wouldn't matter. You would see how the ball would be affected by looking at the flag, just like IRL.

It's all moot anyway.

• PAGES
RSS