Forums

Help › Forums

List of players ranked according to their averages.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 20 2010 4:19 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • funstuff
    35 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 7:20 AM

A list of players ranked according to their averages should be available for all tiers combined and separately as an added incentive to do well and get better. Credits or prizes could even be awarded to top ranked players.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 8:56 AM

Sorry to pour cold water on your suggestion but averages mean nothing. As long as there exists a system whereby players can withdraw from ranked rounds without penalty, averages will stay artificially low for a considerable number of players.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 10:04 AM

I agree tiffer.

I've played with many high 60s averages that can kick my ass and I've beaten many players that have 50 averages.

• aceydeucey
    504 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 11:03 AM

Thank you tiffer67.  That is where WGT has it completely.... and I mean COMPLETElY WRONG on this site!     Averages are the most important thing in golf.      NO OTHER CRITERIA IS NECESSARY!    Are you listening WGT?

If you play a Ranked round, then you should get a score..... you quit???  You still get a score!     You can Bogey them out for any unfinished holes.      Don't want that bad score??   Then continue playing or play a Practice round.    That's what they are for.... to practice.     This would then make Ranked rounds mean something on this site!    

You want to play a tournament?    Then you have to have an established average of say 10 Ranked rounds.     Scores only... no other criteria involved.      It is really very simple WGT.

The Reputation Idea is just junk..... a complete waste of time and money..... YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT SO RANKED ROUNDS MEAN SOMETHING!!!     How much are you paying that guy to work on the Reputation thing?     A complete waste of time, sorry!!

Let the quitters decide if they want to quit, doesn't matter, they still get a score regardless.     It won't hurt your numbers of rounds played,  the quitters will just play practice rounds.      I do not understand why this is such a difficult thing to fix.    One other thing you will also accomplish is the disappearance of this Quitters Thread..lol!

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 11:52 AM

I played recently with a master round the front 9 of St Andrews. My average usually sits between 63.5 and 65.5, his average that day stood at 60.57 and it always is around that figure. After 5 holes he was -1, he messaged me to say "I need 5 birdies from here" and then disconnected. The annoying thing about it was that he had invited me to play! What is the point of artificially massaging your average? Anyone with half a brain can see the signs. 29s, 30s and 31s round St Andrews front 9, usually days apart. They don't fool me and I suspect they don't fool anyone other than those a bit green round the gills.

I really don't give a hoot about my average. I know when I'm playing well and when I'm playing like an elephant on rollerskates. Usually within a couple of holes, any opponent will work it out too for themselves.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 1:29 PM

acey, you're not understanding what the purpose of the Reputation system is.

It's so that people who commonly drop rounds will not be picked up by players wanting to play a full round. The Reputation system is not supposed to fix anything, it's simply supposed to sort out players.

Which kind of stinks for me lol. When I first joined here I dropped almost every round I played that wasn't good. And when it comes to the USGA Qualifier, you better bet your ass I quit a lot of those.

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 2:37 PM

Such a joke and such a waste of space and a no win topic. First and foremost, when playing a strokeplay mutliplayer game it is an almost certain that I will not score as well as I do in a MPC or single player game. When I play a multilplayer game I am usually multitasking, doing dishes, housework, beating the cat ecetra so never bring the focus I do to a game where money is on the line. I am playing for *** and giggles and if I find on the last hole I have an unrealistic high score I don't save it. Now the funny thing is if I did, my average would be considerably higher which now brings up the issue of being called a sandbagger in MPC rounds. I have noticed it's much easier to find an MPC opponent when the ready goes have pounded me and I hit 65 average. So in reality it's a far bigger con to pad your average to look bad than to look good???

So please those who care write my name down and never play me.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 3:19 PM

Kaslo you play a lot of ready gos and you win credits, anyone with any doubts to your abilities only need look at your results when it counts to see you are a very good player.

Not that I think you particularly care what others think anyway ;^)

• funstuff
    35 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 4:19 PM

Actually, I must humbly concede that you make a very compelling argument against my idea. Do note, however, that a player with sub-60 average can have bad games, but the fact remains that his average proves with certainty that he consistently has had many good or great games (between 31 and 27 scores for 9 holes), And that is an achievement.worthy of mention.

Let me add this : there are times when I'm either tired, ill, or in pain, and I may play anyway to pass the time. Yet, I am clearly not playing at my usual level, and the score may turn out to be very mediocre. What does that prove? That I'm having a bad day, that's all, not that I suck at this game.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jun 19 2010 11:54 AM

For what it's worth we used to have a "Scoring Average Leaders" in place off the Career Earnings leaderboard.  It tends to encourage players to not finish rounds in an attempt to chase down the lowest averages.  It was removed after many, many requests.

• PAGES
RSS