Help › Forums

changing balls in game

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:40 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 10:13 AM

bbaker111, you're not listening to any of us.

The PGA sometimes implements what is called the One Ball Rule, which means you must play with the exact same brand of ball throughout the whole round.

For example, if I start out playing a Titleist NXT, I cannot change to Titleist NXT Tours at all during the tournament. Doesn't matter if it is in the middle of the hole, in between holes, or at the turn.

This rule is determined by the tournament committee and has been used in many major and minor tournaments throughout the world. Since it is decided by tournament committees, WGT has exploited their powers on the situation and chosen to use it.

• bbaker111
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:06 PM

That is the big issue on this site. They are implementing a tournament rule that is not a USGA rule. USGA rules state a tournament can make some rule changes as needed for a tournament as long as the basic rules are in place. I did a real Monday qualifier. I used the new pro v1 and  XT during my round. I was allowed to use a new ball on each hole if I wanted as long as the name brand was the same and my partner was notified before I tee'd off. That was 15 years ago when I lived in Texas and had a scratch handicap. The tournament was the Shell Houston open held at the Woodlands TPC course.

The main issue is WGT using a tournament rule here. With them doing so it costs those that play money unless they want to use a basic ball.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 9:21 AM

bbaker111:
    The main issue is WGT using a tournament rule here. With them doing so it costs those that play money unless they want to use a basic ball.

Then you know what?  If you don't like it, don't pay for it!  Plain and simple.  This is their game and the have every right to set it up as they choose.  

And to address your other point, there is absolutely NO difference in the physics of a shot when the meter is near full or near empty.  The physics are constant throughout the life of the ball.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 10:01 AM

bbaker111:

That is the big issue on this site. They are implementing a tournament rule that is not a USGA rule. USGA rules state a tournament can make some rule changes as needed for a tournament as long as the basic rules are in place. I did a real Monday qualifier. I used the new pro v1 and  XT during my round. I was allowed to use a new ball on each hole if I wanted as long as the name brand was the same and my partner was notified before I tee'd off. That was 15 years ago when I lived in Texas and had a scratch handicap. The tournament was the Shell Houston open held at the Woodlands TPC course.

15 years ago? Well the usga has made many rule changes regarding changing balls since then. The basic rules of golf hardly ever change but with all the changes made in ball technology the rules for changing balls during a round have changed several times.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 10:05 AM

bbaker111:

USGA rules state a tournament can make some rule changes as needed for a tournament as long as the basic rules are in place.

If they implement the One Ball Rule, it overlays any ball replacement rules.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 1:07 PM

TheLighterDark:
    If they implement the One Ball Rule, it overlays any ball replacement rules.
    LMAO , and 13 posts later , we are back to what Niv said in the very 1'st sentence he wrote.  Also included in my 2'nd post.  I'm going out on a limb here , but I "think" the one ball rule is in effect here right  ?

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 2:39 PM

While on the subject of balls, when are we going to get a ball with real backspin. A ball that will backspin 3 to 4 feet?

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:07 PM

deep breaths  guys/gals  deep breaths.     wow   this game gets the motors reving!!  after all this is just a game,  a game that the providers of the game LET you spend your money IF YOU WANT TO, to make the game more FUN,   that is the real deal.

great to know  soo many people  know the rules of golf though. lots of good info on this site  for the real game.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:40 PM

duffer66:
    While on the subject of balls, when are we going to get a ball with real backspin. A ball that will backspin 3 to 4 feet?
    That is already being done ,  at times generating too much spin.

• PAGES
RSS