Help › Forums

changing balls in game

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:40 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • billy8581
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:20 PM

I was wondering why you can't change balls during a game to a set you already have in your bag, its quite annoying when you run out of balls and you have other balls you can use, yet you still get switched back to starter balls mid round, especially mid tournament.  In real life you can simply chose whichever ball you wish to play with, maybe the game could mirror that?, just a suggestion, cheers

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:44 PM

Hi Billy,

We employ a variation of the rule known as the "one-ball condition" which basically states that your ball type cannot be changed during your round.  If you start the round with GI-D type ball then you must finish with the same type. Our variation on the rule comes in when you run out of balls.  If you ran out of balls during an actual competition you would be automatically disqualified from the event for not stocking your bag ahead of time.  Instead of going that route we just equip players with the free starter balls.  It is a penalty of sorts for forgetting to stock your bag, but it's lot more lenient than it normally would be in a real competition.  Currently, color is not considered the same type though there are discussions about changing that.

Normally this rule is used only in competitive play, but since every mode of play on this site is competitive in some way (excepting multiplayer stroke play and solo practice) the rule was applied throughout all modes.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 7:26 PM

WGTniv:
    If you ran out of balls during an actual competition you would be automatically disqualified from the event for not stocking your bag ahead of time. 
    Absolutely ; reminds me of Michelle Wie being disqualified for failure to sign her scorecard at the 2008 State Farm Classic.   Rule violation  6-6 b.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 7:53 PM

Looks like this would be your only hope Billy.    GL

5-1/5  Whether Player May Borrow Balls from Another Player

Q. During a stipulated round, a player runs out of balls. May he borrow one or more balls from another player?

A. Yes. Rule 4-4a prohibits a player from borrowing a club from another player playing on the course but the Rules do not prevent a player from borrowing other items of equipment (balls, towels, gloves, tees, etc.) from another player or an outside agency.

If the "One Ball" Condition in Appendix I is in effect, the player would need to obtain the same brand and type of ball as required by that condition.

• bbaker111
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 11:27 PM

You not giving a good answer for this. I bought a bunch of balls for use in this game. As you play the hit meter drops. So what happened to all the balls I bought??? Why is it the game starts becoming difficult to play as that meter drops?? What is the reason to buy a bunch of balls for play if you can't change the ball to a new one you have bought??? You can't tell me one game uses up 6 balls. That is not even real life. Trust me I'm a real player that can go a whole round and then some with one ball. So let's make this game real. If you own 30 balls, then let us switch to a new one if needed during a round rather than a stupid meter that shows hits, as if that messes up a ball. If your getting a new ball each game, then why does the meter not reflect this. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm buying into a scam. I can't even get the swing meter to come close to where I'm clicking it to stop for puts. I can see this happens more as my hit meter goes down into the red. And also, how in the hell do you know how many balls you still have left in the bag?? So fix the game to be a game. Not some make believe thing you think you have here. I joined for enjoyment when I can't play for real. I'm finding this to be a money scam real quick. Brian

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 11:57 PM

Hi Brian,

Balls that are purchase in the Pro Shop gradually wear and expire.  Some faster than others and that's represented by the durability rating of the ball.  The more bubbles indicated on the chart in the pro shop the longer the life of the ball.  Strokes taken with the putter do not decrease the durability.  Unless you are hitting them OB or in the water you will never go through 6 balls in one round. 

To help put it into perspective, consider that most professional players change their ball in competition every 3 or 4 holes.  That's usually because they generate so much force and spin that the grooves on the club gradually wear the ball down or misshape it.  The balls you have now (Tour-SD) are some of the lowest durability offered, but even they will generally last a little more than a round.  Its lifespan is entirely dependent upon how many strokes you take from off of the green (remember putts don't count).  Also, don't forget that every player is provided with an unlimited amount of WGT Starter Balls.

The hits meter shows you how much durability is left on the ball in play.  Once the meter decreases to 25% it lets you know that ball is nearing the end of it's lifespan and is becoming worn.  You don't have to start with a brand new ball each game.  You'll start with the same ball you finished the last round with until that ball expires or is hit off the course.  Performance does not change whether there is one hit left or a brand new ball.  The hits meter has no impact on your shot, it's only there to show you how much life is left on the ball in play and it is not included in the calculation of your shot.

In competitive play the one-ball-condition prevents players from switching the brand or model of their ball.  You must play the same type of ball that you began the round with (ie.  If you start with a ProV1x, you cannot switch to a ProV1) and we employ a variation of that rule here.  This rule is used on the various PGA Tours and in many USGA Championship events as well.

You can check how many balls are in your bag at any time by clicking on your name in the game, clicking the equipment tab and then clicking the ball that is equipped in the top right hand side of the screen.

If you have any more questions or concerns about the game you are welcome to check out the FAQ.  A lot of useful information about the game can be found there and all players are encouraged to read it over before diving into the fray.

Hope that helps =)

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 12:05 AM

bbaker111:

So fix the game to be a game. Not some make believe thing you think you have here.

All right bbaker, that is the biggest laugh of the day!

But, for cereal. I'm not seeing what your problem is and I have a few problems with your post.

bbaker111:

You can't tell me one game uses up 6 balls. That is not even real life.

• No game will ever use up one ball. Each type of ball has its own durability, which is out of 5 dots, but none last <one round. If you used up "6 balls" in one round, it is quite possible (and yes I know I'm talking to you like your a child here) that you lost them, either in weeds, water, or out of bounds.

bbaker111:

If you own 30 balls, then let us switch to a new one if needed during a round rather than a stupid meter that shows hits

• If you have 30 balls, there should be no need to change balls mid-round. Like WGTniv said, it is currently not possible to automatically switch to the same ball that is a different color during a round, which is subject to change.

bbaker111:

So fix the game to be a game. Not some make believe thing you think you have here. I joined for enjoyment when I can't play for real.

• WGT is THE most realistic golf experience on the web. If you think differently than you sadly are mistaken. The reason why these rules are employed is because they want to make playing here like playing on any given real course under USGA regulations. A general rule of thumb is if it's in the rules, it's in WGT's rules.

bbaker111:

let us switch to a new one if needed during a round rather than a stupid meter that shows hits, as if that messes up a ball.

• The meter does not show hits, it shows how much longer the ball will last. As you've figured out, the lower it gets, the less time you have with the ball. Putts do not count towards lowering the durability.

bbaker111:

I can see this happens more as my hit meter goes down into the red. Brian

• When the meter is in red it hits the ball the exact same way that it did when it was full.

WGT isn't making you pay a dollar to pay for this game. You've spent that money yourself. If you'd like to check out alternative ways to earn credits, check out this blog post.

Good luck.

EDIT: NO! Niv beat me! Damn you niv, damn you!

<3

• bbaker111
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 12:56 AM

Sorry, this game is turning into a rip off. For those without high speed connections, this game should not be used straight up. This I have learned right away. Your very wrong about some rules. You are allowed to replace a ball before the start of any hole in golf. It does not need to be the same brand provided the new name or marking are given to the other player. Only color can't change. You are allowed to replace any ball that may have been damaged during play by notifying a rules official or other player. You can even inspect it providing the other player is notified. Your just not allowed to replace a ball during play of a hole unless damage is suspected.

Play on this game does go away as the ball meter drops. It is real and happens. Put a ball slightly off center when the meter is high and the ball goes fairly straight. Do the same with the meter low and the ball can go off line 2 to 3 feet.

• bbaker111
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 1:22 AM

Rule 5, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3 all cover ball use. A player must use the same ball to complete a hole. The color issue is a PGA issue. Some changes can be made to the rules for tournaments. But as by the real rules of golf, as long as the same ball is used threwout play of a HOLE, a player can change the ball during a game. You can use a different ball on every hole if you want provided it is the same ball from start to finish of the hole. So if you tee off on a short par 4 and want a soft ball, you get one out and use it the entire hole. If you want to switch to a hard distance ball for a par 5, you can as long as you use it from start to finish of the hole.

The fact that this game takes balls away from you for damage is wrong. The person that paid for the balls should be the only one changing them. The meter should be removed. Replaced with a damage meter with the ability to change a ball by the real USGA rules. No one should ever run out of balls with this game if played by the real rules.

• billy8581
    6 Posts
    Wed, Jun 16 2010 9:27 AM

thanks for the rapid response, at least i know now, lesson learned lol, looks like ill be taking enough balls from now on!

• PAGES
RSS