Jokemont !!!!

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 18 2010 10:24 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Jun 13 2010 9:43 AM

Stryder1261:

Just my opinion, the putting greens at Oakmont are a JOKE !

I had a 4 ft uphill putt today of 52 ft  on #3 with a 4 mph wind at me., putting meter gave me the 150 which I changed to 90. I  pulled swing meter back to what should've been around 80 ft power on any other course and the ball went a total of 22 feet !!!!!!   Come on, 22 ft !   I know I will not ever qualify and right now dont care but I would like the game reactions to reflect players actions a little more consistently. And no it's not always the players fault ! And for the one's who always say you need to upgrade your equipment, well I think I have upgraded to the best I can get as a PRO Level player and have tried every ball in the Pro Shop and I play as much as I can and love the game, would just like to see a few bugs worked out on here.  And if you say there are no problems anywhere here you are only kidding yourself. I guess there's no quitter's, cheaters or sandbaggers here either.

Thanks for letting me vent here !

If you were where we most of us think you are you could have played at least 4 different types of shots but none of the four would have been with the putter. The back fringe at # 3 is at least 15 to 20 yards deep. So you are talking about anywhere from 20 to maybe 60 feet of fringe and to get the ball through that much fringe would take a mammoth shot. Your best bet would be either the chip shot or maybe the pitch. I know I have been there and didn't really pay attention to how large the fringe area was. My first putt went maybe 20 feet and I was still on the fringe. the next shot I used the pitch shot getting fairly close but my birdie chance quickly became a double bogie. Actually depending on wind direction you could even hit a 1/2 power full lob wedge from there.any of those 3 shots but surely not the putter.

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Sun, Jun 13 2010 12:13 PM

Thanks YJ,

dont know how you got 100 ft from a 52 ft putt, 4 ft uphill into 4 mph wind, but thanks for your insight and help. and to everyone else who offers constructive advice and tips.

to the other

TLD, why would I lie? I have no reason too. if you dont believe or like what I wrote, dont reply !

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Sun, Jun 13 2010 1:17 PM

How he got the 100 feet

Every inch of up on the green adds 1 foot to the distance of the putt as far as power is concerned.  4 feet of up is an additional 48 feet added to the putt.  52 + 48 = 100.

Same thing works on downhill, only subtract from the putt.

Gary

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Sun, Jun 13 2010 1:34 PM

thanks for that bit of info. will really be useful

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:32 PM

ALByrd60:
    I know where he is comming from and you think you are on the green when actually u are on the fringe,
    ONLY replying here because I don't think this was mentioned, but you can simply put your cursor on the ball and see your lie. I don't see how the above quote could ever happen.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   "Ace"

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:29 PM

TheAceFactor:

Stryder1261:
    should've been around 80 ft power on any other course
    That, in my opinion was your 1'st mistake...Oakmont is not any other course.

Right. The greens are much FASTER than any other course. He may have a legitimate point. Don't attack him.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:47 PM

LOL , Ala , if I went into a , lets say a ready-go with slow greens and I didn't adjust my mind-set from , lets say very-fast greens ,  that would be a mistake on my part , yes ? My comments were not an attack. 

• shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 10:24 AM

Stryder1261:

Just my opinion, the putting greens at Oakmont are a JOKE !

I had a 4 ft uphill putt today of 52 ft  on #3 with a 4 mph wind at me., putting meter gave me the 150 which I changed to 90. I  pulled swing meter back to what should've been around 80 ft power on any other course and the ball went a total of 22 feet !!!!!!   Come on, 22 ft !   I know I will not ever qualify and right now dont care but I would like the game reactions to reflect players actions a little more consistently. And no it's not always the players fault ! And for the one's who always say you need to upgrade your equipment, well I think I have upgraded to the best I can get as a PRO Level player and have tried every ball in the Pro Shop and I play as much as I can and love the game, would just like to see a few bugs worked out on here.  And if you say there are no problems anywhere here you are only kidding yourself. I guess there's no quitter's, cheaters or sandbaggers here either.

Thanks for letting me vent here !

Have you ever played a golf course in Southwestern Pennsylvania or the panhandle of West Virginia?  I can tell you for sure that not only is it accurate, it's also set up for tournaments.  I can't tell you how many greens go slower because I have a massively uphill putt.  I play on much slower greens, but most of the courses around Oakmont are close to the same difficulty.

• PAGES
RSS