Forums

Help › Forums

Guess the cut line at Oakmont

Sun, Jul 11 2010 3:08 PM (51 replies)
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:10 AM

Don't worry Pugs you'll get there! 

My problem as it is with everywhere I play is getting my approach shots close enough.  Played a RG last night and I was consistently 8 to 14 feet away, sure you have a chance for birdie but that is just making it hard on yourself, 6 to 10 feet is where I need to be.  14 feet on Oakmont is a recipe for disaster too like you say, I have only played it twice so far and on the second round I started dropping them and you will too. 

Have a long way to go @ Oak (72) and like you I am really enjoying the extra challenge and change-up of the green speed and much longer tee boxes.  I do think 66 is the minimum to have a chance, 64 to be safe.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:01 AM

ThunderBoltz:
    The Cut line should be like the PGA Tour where it is usually 10 strokes from the current leader that gives everyone more of a chance to qualify 

That would make it 67 thanks to TheLighterDark's 57. I'd say 67 wouldn't be enough.

• Kurtsbuford
    7,592 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:08 AM

LOL, its day 5 with 37 days to go guys/gals.........57 posted, cut for oakie q's could reach 63, and st.andie 61, depends on how much time you have to rip at the flags.  Qualifiers are way to long, and it so boring playing alone out there.   We need barcart girls and caddies to talk too.  Come on WGT

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:53 AM

Kurtsbuford:

LOL, its day 5 with 37 days to go guys/gals.........57 posted, cut for oakie q's could reach 63, and st.andie 61, depends on how much time you have to rip at the flags.  Qualifiers are way to long, and it so boring playing alone out there.   We need barcart girls and caddies to talk too.  Come on WGT

lol indeed that would be interesting. 

Spectator mode would be nice (the option to allow them and WHO) so at least you had someone to chat too as well as just making these tourneys available to multiplayer mode so people can hack it up together while trying to qualify.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 11:12 AM

aiea:

I wholheartedly disagree about the setups!! St. Andrew's is awesome; Oakmont certainly plays tough but is the most boring layout/track I've seen on this site.

AIEA

Really? I'm finding it very entertaining. I've made more awesome mind blowing putts and approaches in one week on Oakmont then my entire career on the other courses. Of course I've also lipped out a few 3 footers and seen them travel 20 ft past the hole. Take the good with the bad I guess. Very fun though, great course.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 6:57 AM

been a while since I have seen a cart girl like that.  The public courses near me have decided to hire their 16yr old daughters it seems, which is probably not the best idea considering some of the personalities that play public courses around here.

Bethpage Black has no cart people at all, they dont allow carts on the course period.  I had to drive one on the service roads for like 20 minutes to get to the 10th tee for a tourney.  That hut after behind the 5th hole is it for the entire round, good hot dogs and cold orange gatorade though

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:14 AM

Update,

current cut lines

St Andrew's     65

Oakmont          67

Keep in mind we are not even half way through the qualifying.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 10:21 AM

I was hoping it would be 70  lol

Confessions of a hacker would be a better title..( I hate my life)

Well I have to leave for out of town this week. By the time I get home, both virtual opens will be history.

Try as I might..my 70 at Oakmont is only good for 297th place.

and my 68 at The Open only netted me a 326th place seed.

Both of course will be pushed back as better scores are posted.

I salute the players that make the cut as indeed you are the best in the world.

My confession, I was delusional in thinking that I should be a top 100 player.

Oakmont is a work for me in progress as I learn where to go for it, and when to be very conservative. So much so that some par 4's like #9 are like 15 at Beth Page...lay it up short of the green..lob one just past the hole and watch it roll back.

Other greens demand similar treatment..getting pars on those 4-5 holes at Oakmont becomes paramount. There are also 4-5 birdie holes. I think my biggest problem is playing enough break when putting, and not really having all 18 holes down to a science.

Even when I do figure out a hole, my old man hand eye coordination lets me down.

So ill tuck my 700 credited rounds between my legs and work towards the goal of making those cuts next year.

Saint Andrews just drives me nuts trying to make those quick 10 thru 15 footers.

Moral victory!  I am among the top 300 players in WGT  lmao

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2010 12:56 PM

So it looks like Oakmont will move to at least 66.

A 67 puts you tied for 151st, so only 5 more people need to shoot 66 and the cut line moves.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:29 AM

I think the lowest Oakmont will be is 65, probably will stay at 66.

St.Andrews the cut will be 64.

You heard it here first....LOL

Cheers 

RSS