Forums

Help › Forums

Guess the cut line at Oakmont

Sun, Jul 11 2010 3:08 PM (51 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:24 AM

Love the challenge on Oakmont, and I think it will be more friendly when the course is shortened and greens slowed in regular ranked rounds.  Had this going, thought I was set to beat my 64:

[View:http://wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:300:300]

Unforntunately it ended in 3 bogeys on the front, then i saved the game and walked away, too pissed off.

• ThunderBoltz
    740 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 10:11 AM

The Cut line should be like the PGA Tour where it is usually 10 strokes from the current leader that gives everyone more of a chance to qualify 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 11:15 AM

Since they are resetting the scores, throwing out the qualifying score, I second the notion that TB mentioned. 

• mwb5010
    33 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:14 PM

paying for the prizes is why this probably wont happen

• mwb5010
    33 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:15 PM

68 definitely, the greens are way to fast for it to travel much lower.

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:32 PM

its lookin tough.....ive got nuffin else!

• superstar2
    23 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 3:25 PM

since i am such a not so good player, i guess

Oakmont : 71

St. Andrews : 70 (maybe 68 or something)

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:59 PM

its only the top150 or so that make the cut so i think it will be very low --65oak  --62 st andy`s

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 9:11 PM

30 people at 64 or under as of now, more than a month to go. 

Could be 65, we'll know more after one more week.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 7:45 AM

jayjonbeach:

30 people at 64 or under as of now, more than a month to go. 

Could be 65, we'll know more after one more week.

64!!!??? ... 64!!!??? ...

I'm stuck @ 74!... Three consecutive rounds of 74 after one @ 75, as a matter of fact! Furthermore... each of those 74's was built with two 37's! Shooting those six consecutive 37's has me feeling like I'm stuck in a "Groundhog Day" scenario!

Looks like I'll not make it into my "neighborhood" virtual course's playing field, just as I've never had the opportunity to play OCC IRL.   :(

Oh... I'll keep trying, but if I don't soon "get the feel" of my putter on those greased lightning greens, I'll surely not make the cut. My drives (after I swapped-out my new SuperTri for my more accurate Ping 8.0) are on the money... my approach shots are mostly inside 3-4 yds, leaving me with alot of birdie chances, but 2- and 3-putting has been the order of the day for me. It seems that just as I start to get the feel for these super-slick griddle-greens, my birds (and even an eagle) fall out of the pan and into the fire - only to be followed-up with double and triple bogeys.

A couple of my 37's even contained 3-4 birds, but GIR's certainly haven't been a help for a sub-par round with these wildly-undulating dancefloors.

I'm HOPING the cut-off will be no lower than 66... I unfortunately clicked the "LEADERBOARD" in the menu @ the first tee of one round, and had the "69 Cutoff Graphic" staring me in the face (overlaid on every window) for the whole round... a weird bug that added insult to injury...

Despite my frustration, I AM enjoying the challenge, and I'm anxiously awaiting my own "Ahaaa! moment" that could bring with it a recipe for success.

:^)

RSS