Help › Forums

something brought up by me b4

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 2 2010 11:24 PM (22 replies)
  • chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 11:24 PM

TheLighterDark:
    Sorry Richard, I promise you that I'll ask for a new course every single time. I practice by playing, not hitting balls on a virtual range.

Here Here

CSC

• HoleItSucker
    53 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 8:25 AM

Agreed.  No need for a range, especially when you can play any stroke play course in "Practice" mode.  If it's not ranked, then make hay off the tees, eight putt every hole, and have a grand old time chasing the fickle nuiances of the game.

• sleezyd
    15 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:01 AM

HoleItSucker:

Agreed.  No need for a range, especially when you can play any stroke play course in "Practice" mode.  If it's not ranked, then make hay off the tees, eight putt every hole, and have a grand old time chasing the fickle nuiances of the game.

Disagree Holeit. The only difference between “practice” mode and “ranked” mode is that you won’t jack up your avg when you accidentally make your putt on the 9th hole. Time and time again I wish I could take the same shot twice, or three times to try and fix what I think I’m doing wrong. But it’s impossible to re-create the same shot in “practice” mode. The closest you can come is on the green, but even still it’s a pain in the a$$ to putt the ball back to it’s original place. We’ve all tried hitting the ball back on to the tee box to re-shoot that awful drive that ends up in the deep rough. No fun. If “practice” mode is really designed to work on your shots, WGT needs to go back to the drawing board.

My vote is for the driving range.

• HoleItSucker
    53 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:10 AM

sleezyd:
    Time and time again I wish I could take the same shot twice, or three times to try and fix what I think I’m doing wrong.

Bro, I never do anything wrong, so I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.  Any problem in the rough can be solved by one of two strategies: a 54 degree wedge or a restart.

Haha....

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 11:15 AM

I am all for a driving range, but lets be honest people, a driving range is a crappy simulation at best of golf.  Your targets are pre-determined, your lie is always perfect, you only have the option of hitting to set distances.  Nothing beats playing.  On the range I am a scratch golfer, on the course I am a low handicap.  While I want a range, to me the only uses are trying to different balls and clubs, thats it.  Same with putting green, practicing a 15ft putt on a practice green (that are usually fairly flat) will not help you on Oakmont.  You might benefit a small amount from distance control, but generally real course greens are going to be different.  To me a course range is to warm up your swing, and a putting green is to see how fast the greens are running and do some pre play routines to get my lines down.  I am not practicing the game of golf, I am warming up to go play golf.  Since we are only clicking a mouse, there are no muscles to warm, and no lines to practice.  A range would be fun, and a possible money maker, but not more important then a new course.  The practice feature does a lot, first of all its free, and second of all its playing the real game.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 7:53 AM

Give me a new course over a driving range every time.

In real golf yes .. you need a range to help you warm up.   On WGT it''s not that big a deal.   yes it might help you get your distances down with each club / shot type .. and give you some practice hitting the sweet spot on the meter ... but that's about it.   It might improve your game but just a little .. what you need to do in WGT to get good is take it out on the course.

In my opinion what folks really want is the ability to play each individual hole in a practice mode over and over again.  For example --- it would really help if you could hit your approach shot into BP #5 50 or 60 times in a row .. from various distances between 140 yards and 180 yards .. with varying wind speeds and directions and with varying green speeds ... so you can learn how to hold the green.    Or Kia #13 so you can learn where you want to land the ball so you have a decent birdie putt.   Examples could go on and on.

In short what folks do NOT want is to have to play 100's and 100's of full rounds in order to learn the idiosyncrasies of each hole.   IMO you have to play them to get better.

I'm not good at all ... but by my calculation I have easily played each hole on Kia and BP 1,000 times, I have over 25,000 putts ... you need to put in the time on the course to get good.

• BigArnL
    851 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:32 AM

I can understand that, but at the same time, beginners and players, can benefit by learning hook, slice and most importantly..timing.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:59 AM

neildiamond11790:
    The practice feature does a lot, first of all its free,

It is only free if you use the unlimited balls they give you for free, and that would mess with your distances and shot accuracy due to the lack of spin,  all that the so called Pratice  rounds  do for ya is help you with timing.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:06 AM

lvietri:

In my opinion what folks really want is the ability to play each individual hole in a practice mode over and over again.  For example --- it would really help if you could hit your approach shot into BP #5 50 or 60 times in a row .. from various distances between 140 yards and 180 yards .. with varying wind speeds and directions and with varying green speeds ... so you can learn how to hold the green.    Or Kia #13 so you can learn where you want to land the ball so you have a decent birdie putt.   Examples could go on and on.

I'm  willing to bet  90% of the people asking for a driving range DONT want that,   they want to be able to gage the distances of the clubs they just bought at varying %s of meter to help decide what amount of power to give a particular shot on the course,  just like  Most people do at the real range.  When you get a new club do you just guess on the real course what iron to hit,  no you go to the range first to see how much farther or what different shape shot you can get out of that new club.  That is why the range would work perfectly.  when you buy a new club you get .....   say  30min  of range time for that club, or an hour for a set of irons for distance and timing control issues!

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 10:05 AM

I'd have no problem with a driving range and practise green so count me in.

But (and I don't wish to hijack your thread here) I've been banging on asking for a mulligan option in practise mode for ages. Put a search on it here and join the argument.

Sean

RSS