Forums

Help › Forums

Third wedge

Tue, May 25 2010 7:09 PM (6 replies)
  • Doctorfro
    449 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 8:46 PM

I have two Taylor made wedges (60 and 64) and wanted to replace my pitching wedge with a 56.  Unfortunately, it won't let me do that.  Waste of credits. 

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 1:55 AM

Consider giving up the hybrid to add another wedge.

Joey 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 5:55 AM

Doctorfro:
    I have two Taylor made wedges (60 and 64) and wanted to replace my pitching wedge with a 56.  Unfortunately, it won't let me do that.  Waste of credits. 

Not at all, Doc. Joey's right and you would have figured that out sooner or later. Your HB and your 3W aren't really necessary together. If you look at how often you use both of them versus how often you'd use that 3rd wedge you'll realize it's better to carry 3 wedges. Maybe you'll get radical one day and carry 4!  I do   :-)

• Doctorfro
    449 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 8:19 AM

Give up hybrid?  I know that my 3 iron is supposed to give me about 195 and the hybrid 200 but the hybrid has such a great high trajectory and sits softer.  Would giving up my 3 wood and keeping hybrid make sense?

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 8:45 AM

Doctorfro:

Would giving up my 3 wood and keeping hybrid make sense?

Yes.

From the pro tees the 3 wood is not essential.

Masters tend to ditch the hybrid for the extra length of the 3 wood.

At the end of the day it is what makes you feel comfortable that matters......it's your bag.

Happy hitting

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 9:20 AM

Doctorfro:
    Would giving up my 3 wood and keeping hybrid make sense?

Most definitely. In fact, even though I carry 4 wedges, in high winds at BPB and sometimes KIA I will swap the 4th wedge out for my HB. 

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 7:09 PM

Soulcatcher:

Yes.

From the pro tees the 3 wood is not essential.

Masters tend to ditch the hybrid for the extra length of the 3 wood.

Most definitely, Soul!

While I'll usually carry the 3 Wood for the rare times than I'm 240-260 yards out... I've found that I make Eagle 2-5% of the time... and make Birdie 90% of the time. This out of the way, I can make Birdie 90% of the time using an Iron on my approach.

That's why I, from time to time, carry four wedges. It's an awesome feeling to have maximum control from inside [for me] 115 yards. However, it's your choice, as of now I would just get rid of the Hybrid... your call on the fourth.

RSS