Forums

Help › Forums

Putting physics is extremely unrealistic

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 19 2010 1:16 PM (5 replies)
  • BSUGrad
    1 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 12:06 PM

I have been playing golf for over 35 years, and I have not yet "hooked" or "sliced" a putt.  I can see small variations for missing the perfect line on the meter, but if you miss just slightly you have no chance at all of making even a 5-foot putt.  The amount of pull or push needs to be seriously modified.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 12:30 PM

Dear BSUGrad, 

You're currently using a Starter Putter, which is low on Precision and Forgiveness. Precision is how accurate the ball will travel to where you were aimed. Forgiveness is how much variance the ball will have when you don't hit the "ding." 

It is recommended that you upgrade your putter to any of the higher putters before complaining about the games physics. I'm not saying you're a lying scumbag who sucks, but I am saying there are many ways you can improve your game, and upgrading your putter is one of them. 

I personally recommend the TaylorMade Rossa Daytona Putter for 750 ($7.50) credits. If you're not looking to spend that much money, feel free to rent any of the other putters to get a taste for them all in the Putters Section of the Pro Shop

Practice will really help too, putting ability definitely won't come to you overnight... it's been 9 months for me and I still don't fully understand it!  

• Showtime29
    70 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 10:02 AM

Im not sure why upgrading a putter qualifies you to complain about the physics over not upgrading.

I happen to agree with him, although realistically, there is very little they can do.  I doubt they have the time or resources to develop seperate swing physics for each different type of shot.

The same can be said for chips, pitches and flops...It is what it is, although TLD is right in the regard that the putter will make a difference in accuracy.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 10:41 AM

TheLighterDark:

Dear BSUGrad, 

You're currently using a Starter Putter, which is low on Precision and Forgiveness. Precision is how accurate the ball will travel to where you were aimed. Forgiveness is how much variance the ball will have when you don't hit the "ding." 

It is recommended that you upgrade your putter to any of the higher putters before complaining about the games physics. I'm not saying you're a lying scumbag who sucks, but I am saying there are many ways you can improve your game, and upgrading your putter is one of them. 

I personally recommend the TaylorMade Rossa Daytona Putter for 750 ($7.50) credits. If you're not looking to spend that much money, feel free to rent any of the other putters to get a taste for them all in the Putters Section of the Pro Shop

Practice will really help too, putting ability definitely won't come to you overnight... it's been 9 months for me and I still don't fully understand it!  

I haven't tried the Daytona, but the Redwood definitely improved the accuracy of my putting. I estimate it took 2 to 3 strokes off my average.

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 1:02 PM

Most likely it is not the putter...user error is often mistaken for equipment malfunctions.  I have a starter putter and beta balls (what can I say, I'm cheap) and I don't have too much of a problem. 

In fact, I would agree that putting is unrealistic.  It is too damn accurate.  Based on my current stats my 1 putt percentage is 47.96%.  That would put me in the #1 spot on tour.  Lets go a little further.... my avg putts per hole is 1.53 or 27.54 putts per 18 holes.  What do you know? That would also place me as the top putter on tour just nipping Mike Weir.  Now take into account that my stats include all of my putts from when I was a noob and couldn't make anything, and I would venture to say that my averages are far better.  That being said, I am a mediocre Master.  I am certain that Avatar Lee Bollox, etc have far better stats.  Practice and get better or go play TWO where you can 1 putt all 18 holes from anywhere inside 30 feet, but please don't whine about the physics when clearly most players have figured it out.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 1:16 PM

Thetruth67:
    Practice and get better or go play TWO where you can 1 putt all 18 holes from anywhere inside 30 feet, but please don't whine about the physics when clearly most players have figured it out.

QFE....

.. and that's Thetruth!

RSS