Help › Forums

Problem with 17 on St Andrews

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 16 2010 4:05 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2010 2:52 PM

A bug log was submitted, I want your opinions on its validation.

Hitting my approach on 17. Hit the ball on the downhill past the bunker. Ball shot forward rolling hard off the green, over the road, towards the wall into deep rough. Should have been close to or up against the wall perhaps forcing me to turn around, hit the ball into the wall and bouncing it back on the green. Should'nt the only thing O.B. would be shots over the wall?

Over-site? or programing problem? We all want to see as much realism as possible.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2010 3:24 PM

iirc, the road is OB IRL.

Sorry.

• SteveP29
    34 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 8:21 AM

The history of the Open is littered with players who have played from the strip of grass between the road and the wall, off the wall and back onto the green, so there's never a question about OB, the road itself would be classed as an immovable obstruction, as is the path on the 18th fairway, and a subsequent free drop would be made available.

Anyone who has been lucky enough to have played the old course will have the local rules on the reverse of their scorecard, anybody care to post what it actually says about this area?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 11:22 AM

SteveP29:
    The history of the Open is littered with players who have played from the strip of grass between the road and the wall,

Absolutely, here's one right off the videos on the SA home page, I think its Tom Watson..

And I found what could be the back of the SA scorecard on Flicker:

Here's what is says about the Road hole.

You got a valid case danohi50. You're right, that area shouldn't be OB because it isn't IRL as SteveP29 said.

Sorry Snaike, you're wrong.

But have a nice day anyway.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 11:31 AM

That is a pic from the St Andrews web site. The white dotted line signifies O.B.

After doing some reading it does not appear that the road is O.B.....but you do not get relief from the wall.

The only thing that I can think of is that programing that would be very difficult.

*damn ninjasLotor

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 11:46 AM

Soulcatcher:

The only thing that I can think of is that programing that would be very difficult.

*damn ninjasLotor

Gotcha!!

If they can program the ball to carom off the railroad ties at KI, the rocks at Wolf Creek, the walls of the burn at SA's, I'd think a ricochet off the wall behind the road would be a piece of cake.  Have you seen the great job they did on the Swilcan Bridge?  Check out my replay here as I bounced it across the bridge.

I've tried my darndest to get a ball to stop on the road on hole #1 and couldn't do it.  Anyone ever hit from a road??

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 11:56 AM

I am thinking more of the ball being up against the wall. Since you get no relief it could be a problem.

Just guessing though.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 1:17 PM

Soulcatcher:

This is likely the case, I think that wall may have caused some mapping issues, but I will pass it on to the developers for a look.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 1:35 PM

We've all hit through the trees at Kiawah, so programming could merely be ignoring the wall and adding difficulty to the shot. I'm thinking they would need a few thousand more photos to depict wall shots. I'll be happy to take them if WGT will loan me the company credit card.  Hmmm?

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 2:05 PM

Teh road up by the green at #17 on St Andrews is not out of bounds.  The photo that was posted was a picture of Tom Watson during the British Open, I think he lost by one stroke.  Also while the wall is an immovable object, it is a boundry of the course and thus you are not allowed a free drop from a boundary fence.  I saw someone at a British Open years ago hit his shot into the way and bounce it back on the green.  There may be a local rule that is in use when playing there, I don't have a card from my play there, thank you rain   lol.  However many local rules are not used during a PGA or R&A tournament.

• PAGES
RSS