Forums

Help › Forums

putter accuracy question

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 5 2010 9:24 AM (9 replies)
  • jcs89
    172 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 9:04 AM

Just a quick question:  Lets say i have a 15 foot putt, perfectly flat, perfectly straight.  On one occasion, i use the 15 foot putter(full power) and miss it one pixel to the right.  On another occasion, I use the 30 foot putter(half way) and also miss it one pixel to the right.  Is there a difference in the accuracy of the putt?  In other words, does the putter distance selected affect the accuracy of the putt?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 9:54 AM

jcs89:
    does the putter distance selected affect the accuracy of the putt?

Interesting question, jcs. I personally don't think it does because I have been using the higher scales for smaller putts forever. The ball  seems to roll stronger, the distance is easier to get right and the ding is easier to hit. If the accuracy is affected by doing this then I guess I'm screwed because I never gave it no nevermind.  :-D  (strictly my view)

• ProfessorJoe
    325 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 10:30 AM

I can't speak to the accuracy of the putt, that is still dependent on the read and how much break you'd play.  But the consistency of length is the issue here.  With a 15' scale, if you play it for 10' the ball will roll pretty close to the same distance +/- 6" almost every time.  If you use the 30' scale, now it may be +/- 1' or more if you don't hit it exactly perfect.  The ability to use the smaller scale is for more precise distance control, IMO.  Hopefully that is what you were looking for.

Using the higher scale is fine for short putts because you can ram it into the back of the hole for the most part.  But if you have a HUGE break and you miss it, watch out for the 8-10' comebacker! 

Good luck and happy golfing

~ProJoe

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 10:45 AM

You misunderstood the question professor.....i am not talking about distance.  As i mentioned in the original post, assume there in no elevation or break.   I simple want to know if a miss on the 15 foot scale putter is equal to the same miss with the 30 foot scale putter.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 10:55 AM

From my experience and reading lots of forum posts the consensus seems to be that the higher scales will be more accurate with the same amount of mishit compared to the shorter scales. The fact that the meter moves slower helps as well.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 12:07 PM

Soulcatcher:
    The fact that the meter moves slower helps as well.

You know, SC.. I don't think it's a matter of moving slower, but it has much less further to travel.  A one avatar movement with the 60' scale is 15', as opposed to the full 15' meter putt.

I prefer to use the higher scales myself... now, if only I could get my seeing-eye dog to tell where the damn hole is!!  LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 12:26 PM

Snaike:
    I don't think it's a matter of moving slower, but it has much less further to travel.

Ah but watch your meter on any swing-it accelerates, just as it should to emulate a real swing. It doesn't have enough time to accelerate and is markedly slower because of the shorter distance it travels. :-)

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 12:26 PM

Thanks for the replies.......That is the info i was hoping to hear.  I have often been using the 15 ft scale putter on, say, 14 foot putts, but the meter has to travel further and seems to gain speed as it does.  For some reason i have been under the impression that i may lose accuracy if i go with the larger scale putter.  With the larger scale putter, the ding is definitely easier to hit!

• ProfessorJoe
    325 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 1:11 PM

jcs89:

You misunderstood the question professor.....i am not talking about distance.  As i mentioned in the original post, assume there in no elevation or break.   I simple want to know if a miss on the 15 foot scale putter is equal to the same miss with the 30 foot scale putter.

You're absolutely right.  I sure did!  I stand corrected.  This might just help my putting too.  Thanks for the input guys!

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 9:24 AM

I decided to take what i have learned here and use it on #9 at St. Andrews.  I had a 9 foot putt for birdie and instead of using my 15 ft putter, went with the 30 instead.  Got everything lined up and ready to go.  And in the process, forgot i had gone to the 30.......blew the putt 12 feet past!  I did make the par putt coming back!  Oh well........live and learn.

jcs89

RSS