Forums

Help › Forums

Just made master: G10 or R9 Driver?

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 28 2010 6:32 AM (24 replies)
  • Shadowhawk1967
    31 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2010 2:43 PM

My driving is not the most accurate as I tend to miss the ding 90% of the time but the G10 works ok for me.  I can't speak about the R9 though as I haven't tried it.

Like you I was spoiled by  the Ping Rapture Pro V2 until I turned Master  The speed of the meter on the faster clubs is too much for me.  I have to use the GI2-S Balls just to slow it down enough so I can have a chance of dinging (which isnt too often)

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Wed, May 26 2010 5:50 AM

After having used both clubs for a while now I've gotta say that my fav is now the R9 (despite what I said earlier lol). For w hile I preferred the G10 because of the better accuracy but after I started using the G12-D balls the R9 really began to shine.

Combined with the G12-Ds you get a slower meter so accuracy is less of an issue and the distance increase over the G10 becomes very significant.

Along with the Daytona I think the R9 is now my fav club... until the Rapture Master V2 comes along ;)

• Angeltotti20
    296 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 9:17 AM

The new R-9 driver is what you need man!!!

Lol, i'm sorry, i had to do it....

Angel

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 9:29 AM

Yeah well I have the R9, had it since it came out and I tried the new one. OMG, the friggin mistakes go 270+ and it's a bit easier to hit a particular spot at SA in the landing area because of the increased accuracy. It takes about 1/2 round to get used to the meter speed and it forgives enough to where you won't get killed if you miss. 210 credits to rent it.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 10:33 AM

That new R9 has the same meter speed as the i15. Wouldnt want to mix up meter speeds at this point.

Might rent at some point tho.

• BigArnL
    851 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 10:34 AM

I like using both, at times I use them without the meter slowdown balls just to make myself that much better with them, a couple yards in distance can be the difference between an eagle, albatross or just hitting the par 4's in one on St.Andrews.Needless to say, most golfers will know that par is the key ingredient to success, the others are a welcome bonus.Yet each golfer will do whatever feels more comfortable and accuracy is the main goal.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 10:37 AM

YankeeJim:

Yeah well I have the R9, had it since it came out and I tried the new one. OMG, the friggin mistakes go 270+ and it's a bit easier to hit a particular spot at SA in the landing area because of the increased accuracy. It takes about 1/2 round to get used to the meter speed and it forgives enough to where you won't get killed if you miss. 210 credits to rent it.

Yankee - How much of a distance increase over the R9 do you get in real terms with that monster?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 11:14 AM

I don't take notes or keep charts so my observations are purely from my results. I played the back 9 at SA the 2nd time I tried it. What I found is 1-2 clubs closer off the tee. I overdrove one of the par 4s that I usually come up short on (think it was 12) but what made the biggest difference was the ability to pick a landing spot in those surface-of-the-moon fairways and hit it. The 10th hole-if you don't aim to the right of that crater in the landing area you lose 20 yds on the drive. It really helped being able to get through that neck on 13. Hitting the 14th in 2 is a very real possibility with decent wind (heh-jbenny knows about that.)

Another plus is the mistake hits-ones where you miss the ding. TMs are more forgiving than the Pings and it pays off here. I don't recall anything under 265 yds off the tee and I missed quite a bit at first.

The extra length helps me particularly because I carry 4 wedges. The majority of my shots to the green are happening with 9 irons or less. I think I'm going to get it. It is the only club I will have with that meter speed and that's what the first 1/2 game with it took care of. GL

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 11:45 AM

Thanks for the observations, it sounds like its the best driver in the game right now if you can handle mixing the meter speeds.

I think I will give it a few weeks and then rent.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 12:28 PM

I will agree with YJ, I bought it this morning, so far so good.  Meter not much of an issue, barely faster.  Looks sharp at address.  I carried the bunker on the 7th at Kiawah with some wind behind me.  I have never done that with my old R9 no matter what the wind.  Kiawah number 9 left to right wind 10mph, hit it 294 (on a mishit), which is probably 8-10yds longer then the R9.  had only 151 from master tees.  Kiwah #2 had only 236 to hole, not even a down wind but a cross wind off the tee.  Finished the front, will post more when I finish the back 9

RSS