Help › Forums

MisterWGT Chat this Friday, June 22 at 2:00pm PDT

Sun, Jun 24 2012 12:01 PM (44 replies)
  • 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:32 PM

transcript continued

Misc.:

Could it be that WGT is U.S. based and international resources are limited? If so what has WGT done to reach out on an international base?

Jaycen... we have a bizdev unit that is definitely in contact with international partners, but the costs increase for the production... so it needs to be a top-tier international course for us to consider it.  

----

<bearclaw27> why no virtual pga at kiawah this summer?

We are planning a multi-round tourney for Kiawah this summer... much like we have for the Virtual USOpen;  will it be called the VIRTUAL PGA CHAMPIONSHIP... that's a different question that really comes down to a partnership with the PGA and their partners.  

but we'll DEFINITELY do a large kiawah tourney... w/ NEW PINS! ...

----

<mesmorizer> Will there be more improvments for CC Owners? Thanks!

we are going to add more tourney types and features for CCs and their owners;  for example, 4-round tournies with cut-lines will be added to CCs in a coming release.  And we are also adding the ability for owners to communicate with all their members with a single email.  Those are just two which I can speak to now...

but we want to continue to grow/expand the CCs and the options available.  

--

Jason Begemann: <andyson> What or who triggered the change in WGT thinking to add moderators and to increase interaction between members and WGT staff? I like very much the added transparency!

as I can thank you for that incredibly complimentary animated GIF...I will say... what triggered it was the fact that we hit a big milestone for players & traffic...  where we moved from just a golf site;  into the world's #1 dedicated golf site;  but we are not a news site; we are a community;  we are passionate golfers who interact... daily... and in many cases have become friends...  

so we are not just a publish & forget it site;  we are service company just as much as we are a development company;  so hitting these milestones... it was just a big remember of how far we've come and how we want to continue to grow;  in addition, we've brought on some great new people into the company with WGTpizza & WGTwildcat;  and they have truly picked-up the reigns and run with it!

-----

So... I think we're going to open the room back up.... 

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:35 PM

why no British Open & new HD courses:

So... even though we have a deal with the USGA and R&A, it does not mean we also have a deal with the course itself;  for example, to secure Congressional... we had to visit the course along with the USGA and give them the full court press showing why WGT would make an excellent partner.

fortunately, in most cases, this has worked and the course partners are excited to participate with us;  unfortunately though, it doesn't always happen.  as I mentioned before... Pebble was limited to a short-duration;  in the case of Royal Lytham, we weren't able to come to an agreement;  which -- believe me -- is horribly frustrating and definitely affected our shoot schedules.

REPLY............

PLESE CHOOSE ANY LOCAL CORSE ON THE PLANET , BUNG THEM A FEW $S there are a million to choose from it doesnt need to be a famous course surely !!!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:48 PM

8buster8:
    ut we'll DEFINITELY do a large kiawah tourney... w/ NEW PINS! ...

This is called dropping the ball. Why in the hell didn't WGT turn this into a positive replacement for no BO? AvatarLee brought it up a few threads ago and as disappointing as no new course is, Kia with new pins is going to be a whole new course, especially if they get the green mapping right.

Probably would have lessened the gut punch, too. This I can look forward to. And thanks to the answer, I have a better understanding of why there are 2 Tournament speeds.  ;-)

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:50 PM

YankeeJim:

8buster8:

This is called dropping the ball. Why in the hell didn't WGT turn this into a positive replacement for no BO? AvatarLee brought it up a few threads ago and as disappointing as no new course is, Kia with new pins is going to be a whole new course, especially if they get the green mapping right.

Probably would have lessened the gut punch, too. This I can look forward to.

Well said YJ, this has been something WGT should have put out age's ago.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 5:08 PM

YankeeJim:

8buster8:

Probably would have lessened the gut punch, too. This I can look forward to. And thanks to the answer, I have a better understanding of why there are 2 Tournament speeds.  ;-)

You had to read between the lines. How closely associated are the PGA of America who runs the PGA Championship is the PGA tour who has a long standing contract with WGT's biggest competitor EAsports. It might not be legal for WGT to call a tournament The Virtual  PGA Championship. If you remember 2010 EAsports ran a "Virtual major" at St. Andrews at the same time that WGT ran the first Virtual Open. They could not call it the Virtual Open or Virtual British open for the same reason that WGT might not be able to call the Kiawah Island tourney the Virtual PGA Championship. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 5:24 PM

They don't have to put the PGA tag on it. Bill it as the WGT World Open,  inaugural style. Do it every year.  Maybe we wind up with 3 Opens.  :-)

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:07 PM

I had 1 big question, well two in one so to speak..I gave this question politely to two different moderators in the proper fashion only to be ignored completely. So I will ask again here. When are we going to get an interface that improves adding fade or draw spin too the ball. When is the type of lie going to effect the shape of the shot? Below are feet it will want to fade etc.

• MisterWGT
    122 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:17 PM

Sorry that you didn't get it answered.  At this time, all I can do is state that more advanced surface & club physics features are in the works... so stay tuned!  :)

- MisterWGT / CN

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:25 PM

YankeeJim:
    They don't have to put the PGA tag on it. Bill it as the WGT World Open

Loony Tunes Open gets my vote!!

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:31 PM

andyson:
    Loony Tunes Open gets my vote!!