Help › Forums

Top-Flites

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 6 2010 12:25 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • piescanfly
    13 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:58 PM

Can you possibly put Top-Flites in the game? I'd like to here some feedback from everyone, even WTG, on what might happen. If anybody wants this too, great! :D

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 6:42 AM

Ewww.  Is that company still in business.  If anything lets get Titleist and Mizuno.

• piescanfly
    13 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 6:47 AM

Top flites, I think, are still going. Should put in Callaways as well :D

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 11:56 AM

Hi fellas,

We do plan on offering name brand balls in the future. =)

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:04 PM

Top Flites are the worst ball in golf. I would like to see other brands than Top Flites.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:38 PM

UKCats:

Top Flites are the worst ball in golf. I would like to see other brands than Top Flites.

I beg to differ, sir... the freebie balls we can play with here are the worst in golf..  lol

• TarheelsRule
    5,483 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:11 PM
    Top Flites used to be the worse balls in balls with one exception, the old Club Specials a low scale version made by Titleist. TF's tended to be a very hard ball and last long and roll, they were one of the first balls made that were not wound and didn't cut like the old balls, especially the old Titleist. Today the covers are very different and the characteristics of the balls aren't the same.
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:51 PM

TarheelsRule:
    Top Flites used to be the worse balls in balls with one exception, the old Club Specials a low scale version made by Titleist. TF's tended to be a very hard ball and last long and roll, they were one of the first balls made that were not wound and didn't cut like the old balls, especially the old Titleist. Today the covers are very different and the characteristics of the balls aren't the same.

I spoke to my Father about this tidbit. He said that back in the day, Titleist, Hogan, McGregor red dot, Wilson staff and Maxfli were the only balls used on tour...all balata cover, wound & 100 compression...(don't know what that means). The Spaulding TopFlite was the first ball with a cover of a composition of surlyn, and an interior of a solid state. Much like our free balls that have no spin and never wear out. He also said that Trevino, because of his low fade knock down shot style would use the super hard no spin TopFlite on par three holes over 200 yards or on long demanding 5 par second shots. He told me there was a time when you could use any ball you wanted, at anytime you pleased...just like I do... 

• TarheelsRule
    5,483 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:47 AM

He is party righe SP.  The old wound balls came in 80 / 90 / 100 compression.  That had to do with how tighty wound it was and made it come off the club and compress differently when struck.  An 80 was basically a ball for women.  The TopFlite was the first ball that wasn't wound, had a solid center and it would roll forever.  Trevino could get by with using it because as you said a fade that stopped quick.  You actually could not use mutlitple balls in a USGA tourney but at clubs many players used the TopFlite from tee to green and putted with a different ball.  In clubs where you basically moved the ball in the fairway, I have seen players switch their TopFlites with a Titleist before hitting their second shot.  My Dad, years ago actually used the slightly smaller (at the time) Pin Flite which was used in England mainly due to the wind, back until early 70s I think it was the ball you had to use in the British Open and then it was opened up to the American balls. 

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 12:43 PM

I'd love seeing the higher quality golf ball companies like Titleist, Callaway, Maxfli and maybe even Bridgestone.

• PAGES
RSS