Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Stats error

Sun, Jul 21 2013 5:05 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Mar 8 2009 12:14 PM

I mentioned this in another part of the forum but decided I'd give it it's own category here for posterity.

The statistics for putting are definitely not being calculated correctly.  I've noticed this for quite some time, shaking my head as to how I could have 475 rounds with a sub 60 average and yet reportedly only making 49% of my putts 5 ft and under.  I calculated one week when I didn't miss any putts of this distance in 20 rounds and my stat for this distance went down.  Conversely I have watched it go up when I missed one or more.  My percentage has actually gone up since the update despite missing a ton of them.  Somehow the calculation is off, and I suspect the error extends to the other putting distances as well, so please give it a look.

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2009 5:19 PM

We are currently looking into all of the putting stats at this time.  Thanks for pointing this out.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2009 1:57 AM

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this issue - it has been raised before though.

Its the issue of the green speed. The greens are still in my opinion running much much slower than they were before the upgrade. I've just had another practice round and the speed change is quite noticable - its just much slower and I'm having to compensate by adding an extra 2ft or so onto each putt - even flat straight putts.

Great job though guys

Cheers

Doug

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2009 11:21 AM

This kind of relates to putting stats. I've noticed the game counts a putt as "any time you hit the ball with your putter" even if that's off the tee, in the sand trap or on the fairway.

I might be mistaken, but I believe putts-per-round is calculated on tour using only putts struck on the surface of the green.  A fringe putt isn't counted as a putt.

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2009 7:53 PM

I've noticed my putting average going up recently and I've been putting extremely well (well enough that I expected to see it go down).  It all seemed to start when WGT gave us the option to play a full 18 holes of golf.  I played 18 holes a few times now and although I putted extremely well my putting average is going up.  Anyone else experience this?  Maybe the software is taking the number of putts I make when I play 18 holes and counting it as if I had played 9 holes?  I don't know.  I know playing 9 holes is considered a "ranked round".  It also happens to be a "ranked round" if one plays 18 holes.  Could the problem (if there is one) lie here?

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2009 7:50 AM

Here is some proof showing that there is a bug in the putting average stat:

Putting average BEFORE I played a round of 18 holes:  14.56
      Putting average AFTER I played a round of 18 holes:  14.58

During that 18 hole round I took 25 putts on 18 holes.

BEFORE I played, my average putts per round (for 18 holes) was (14.56) * (2) = 29.12

So I play 18 holes and take fewer putts than what I average (avg = 29.12 putts / I took 25 putts) and my putting average goes UP!

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2009 10:31 AM

I can verify the putting avg being broke now.

I started a 18 hole round with a putting avg of 14.99.  I ended the round with 27 putts.

Putting avg went up after that round to 15.01.   Fairly substantial jump considering the amount of ranked rounds and amount of putts I have and the amount of putts I took in that 1 game.

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2009 8:08 AM

The "Putting Avg. Per Round" problem appears to come from the definition of a "round".

The definition of a round cannot be defined two different ways (it's currently defined as 9 holes and 18 holes).  You can't have it both ways.

My "Putting Avg. Per Round" (if a round is defined as 9 holes) is what I expect it to be if I count my 18 hole rounds as two rounds.

NOTE: The "Putting Avg. Per Hole" looks fine!  No problem there.

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2009 12:58 PM

This, then, probably accounts for the fact that I only make 52% of my putts, yet I've completed 80 rounds.

I swear, I din't use any club other than my putter. :)

• GolferinTX
    25 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2010 4:49 PM

I find it difficult to believe that the top played have such poor putting statistics from 5' and inside.  I am not a good putter but I am convinced that I make more than 50% from that distance.  Has there been a response on the putting stats validity?

• PAGES
RSS