Forums

Help › Forums

I love this site, but......

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 17 2010 8:46 AM (7 replies)
  • jebishop71
    5 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 12:20 PM
    I just got upgraded to Master. I am not a Master level player. Don't get me wrong, I do want to becopme a master, but I am not even close to being one now. Playing as a pro, I never finished in the Top 25 of any tournament, I had a few good rounds playing St. Andrew's, btw, that course is way too easy. I struggle at hitting par on BP from the Pro tees. I think I am going to get discouraged by this move up.
  • OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 12:54 PM

Everyone is a bit put off at first when the move up because of the difficulty and competition.  Averages tend to increase few points or so.  Give it some time and your average will go back down a touch.  

The primary reason that you're struggling is lack of distance off the tee.  You need a Master driver so you're not 20 yards short of everyone else for your 2nd shot.  The R9 seems to be the consensus choice for the majority and the one I'd recommend.  You are already used to the meter speed with your current driver so the switch shouldn't pose that much difficulty.  If you play often enough than a monetary investment to increase your playing pleasure shouldn't be too much of a debate.  I would upgrade all your clubs and your ball, but start with the driver and maybe a putter.  Maybe you'll want to pony up for a full set.  If so, go for the G10.

But an investment in a driver alone will put you back into approach shot territory you're familiar with, closer actually.  The chief difference being a narrower target for the tee shot since its further back.

Good luck.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 12:55 PM

Yes it crept up on me quicker than I wanted.  The only advice I can give you is get kitted up for Masters and practice a lot.   I would say you HAVE to have Masters driver and probably 3w.  Also the Satin wedges including the 64 are so useful.  And of course the Daytona, or maybe the Redwood, putter.  You should be able to get by for now with good Pro irons but if you can you want to get yourself a set of G10 masters irons as well.  You should then find Masters not that big a jump.

Good luck and don't let it get you down.  Just practice with the right kit

Mick

• Ghazan316
    40 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 1:22 PM

can't anyone donate credits? or their old clubs? 

i've been playing since yesterday and im at around 82. What is the quickest way to earn credits? i need a better kit. the starters suck!! 

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 1:58 PM

jebishop71:
    I just got upgraded to Master. I am not a Master level player. Don't get me wrong, I do want to becopme a master, but I am not even close to being one now. Playing as a pro, I never finished in the Top 25 of any tournament, I had a few good rounds playing St. Andrew's, btw, that course is way too easy. I struggle at hitting par on BP from the Pro tees. I think I am going to get discouraged by this move up.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Personally I had a very similar plight in the Pro tier.  I played too many 9 hole unlimited tourneys and was thrust into the master tier.  Kept playing diligently and have won over $2300 since August of last year when I didn't win a thing as a pro.  Practice practice practice and seek out the best players for a few rounds.  You can learn a ton from those guys and most are happy to offer advice.

Ghazan316:

i've been playing since yesterday and im at around 82. What is the quickest way to earn credits? i need a better kit. the starters suck!! 

Seriously?  The food bank may be open for donations but I certainly am not.  There has been a growing contingent of panhandlers lately and it gets under my skin quite frankly.  The quickest way most have earned credits is by investing a little money of the front end for better equipment, then winning tournaments.  None of the TOP players I know ever had their hands out asking for charity.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 2:13 PM

Ghazan316:
    What is the quickest way to earn credits?

buy them.  $1.00 = 100 credits.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 2:16 PM

Snaike:

Ghazan316:
    What is the quickest way to earn credits?

buy them.  $1.00 = 100 credits.

Heh, a perfect storm brewing........

• trevorh68
    24 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2010 8:46 AM

Ghazan316:

Ghaz, you can easily get to the pro tier using the standard starter clubs. Personally I wouldnt even think about upgrading until you hit the Pro level..........easiest way to earn credits = paypal :o)

RSS