Forums

Help › Forums

TM Tour Preferred vs Ping i15 Masters

Tue, Jul 20 2010 5:38 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • micklen
    221 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 3:25 AM

Ok so I have been playing with the TM Tour Burner Steel and I thought I would check out the Masters irons so I have rented the TM Tour Preferred and the Ping i15 Masters

I am really not sure as they have good and bad things - The TM's have the slower swing speed, are more forgiving and fly a bit better in the wind with their lower flight.  The Pings have great spin control and are better for uphill holes with their higher flight, also that bit more carry.  The faster meter speed unfortunately does stand out rather and there are more mishit shots at the moment and as they are less forgiving........

Anyone else tested these two sets of clubs and got any suggestions to put forward??  I could go either way at the moment with maybe a slight favouring of the TM's because of the same swing speed as my other clubs

Mick

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 3:30 AM

Try renting the Ping G-10's  look into the bags of our best players...they out number everything else by a bunch. And its for a reason. Height and stopping power.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:09 AM

I NEARLY went for them rather than the i15's.  I will give them a go then when I have played out the i15's and given them a chance.  Thanks for the reply

Mick

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:59 AM

mick-dano's right-go for the G10s. I have them and the TMs and use them both. TMs for SA and G10s for the other courses. You can score way better with the G10s overall because they're more accurate with the higher loft but missing the ding hurts more with them than with the TMs. Windy conditions favor the TMs by far at SA, especially with the SD ball.

• raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 2:22 PM

Obviously the pings are the way to go, but IMO the trajectory of pings needs to be brought down a little, and the trajectory of tm's need to go up a little. Inrl taylor made clubs are superb clubs and probably some of the best in the world, but for a master in this game they are virtually unplayble.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:34 PM

raidermatt1:
    but for a master in this game they are virtually unplayble.

I disagree, raider. They're harder to score with but are a lot of fun if you adopt a different approach to the game. Ping is all about accuracy and loft. A fine tuned, know exactly where to hit it game. Execute and you score. The TMs let you play what I like to call a run and gun game. Aggressive shots with lots of spin firing away. They have more forgiveness and better spin at the cost of accuracy. There's a trade off there that I think is worth considering if you want to play hard and fast because the forgiving nature of the club lessens the hurt for a mishit shot. 

There's a challenge on Oakmont that is a 124 yard fairway shot. The hole is 22 ft above you. Wind in your face at 11 mph. With Pings you're hitting your 9i (130). With the TMs you're hitting a PW (122) with topspin and running 2 ft past the hole. Fight the wind or bull through it. The problem is the further back you are the harder it gets because the Pings stay high and the TMs aren't able to carry some elevations. SA is perfect for the TMs but the Pings are better at everything else.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Jun 27 2010 3:43 PM

I purchased the i15 irons, 3 wood, and the Ping i15 Master driver. I couldn't be more elated. These clubs are great. I'm still trying to dial in the distances, and I can't say enough about the stopping power these clubs have. Now I know what I've been missing.

I already shaved 1 stroke off of my best 9 hole score (30), on the first day. I rented the R9 Super-Tri Master driver (210 Cr), and didn't care for it. It's not a very accurate driver. I also got three new Ping wedges, switching from the Taylormades, which had no accuracy whatsoever.

The game seems brand new all over again. Very fun.  : )

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 5:00 AM

Richard4168:
    I also got three new Ping wedges, switching from the Taylormades, which had no accuracy whatsoever.

Attaboy, Rich. Go with the big boy clubs but on the lack of Satin wedge accuracy-I wouldn't say no accuracy whatsoever. They're 1/2 dot less in precision but 1/2 more in spin. Spin makes a difference close up so I think it's worth the trade off. JMO

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 6:12 AM

I agree Jim. The Taylomade's just didn't feel as solid as the Ping wedges do. I'll sacrifice a half dot of spin for four dots of accuracy any day.   : )

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 6:49 AM

YankeeJim:

Richard4168:
    I also got three new Ping wedges, switching from the Taylormades, which had no accuracy whatsoever.

Attaboy, Rich. Go with the big boy clubs but on the lack of Satin wedge accuracy-I wouldn't say no accuracy whatsoever. They're 1/2 dot less in precision but 1/2 more in spin. Spin makes a difference close up so I think it's worth the trade off. JMO

I got to go with Jim on this one Rich, he talked me into buying 3 Satin wedges (54, 60, 64) and I would never look back. In the Qualifier at Oakmont I can spin back every single wedge with starter golf balls.  Now that's why you would buy a wedge.

• PAGES
RSS