Forums

Help › Forums

Putting

Tue, May 18 2010 12:44 PM (24 replies)
  • beto_38
    1 Posts
    Fri, Oct 31 2008 11:25 PM

I have the same problem. I think red means fast, black is average, but not positive.

• JPar345
    1 Posts
    Tue, Nov 4 2008 11:12 AM

Yep, blue means you're putting uphill, red means downhill.  Short game is definitely the toughest part of both this game and real golf. :D

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2008 5:35 AM

I'm pretty sure it's blue is uphill, red is downhill, and black is "no change in elevation".  But that doesn't mean that for black, you're putt won't break.  It will. 

I don't use the grids much at all.  I use the speed of the rolling balls and the # of inches up or down to at the hole from the start position.  It works for me but I'd like to know the actual size of the grids themselves.  It might help some more.

Pete

• glhadiator
    39 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2008 7:16 AM

To determine which way my ball will break I use the little dots/balls on the grid. When the grid comes up be sure and wait. Watch how fast it takes a dot to appear and then cross one square of the grid in the intended path of your shot. I have noticed that sometimes it takes a few seconds for them to get in 'flow' mode. How much to adjust for is a judgement call at that point.

Keep in mind that if you put too much power behind the ball it will effect roll as well. Too much power doesn't necessarily mean that it won't go in the cup but it does effect roll. It is important to learn to judge precisely how much power is needed to reach the cup. That takes practice, lots of practice!

The inches up or down is as Petebolte stated. It is exponential. Don't give them as much weight in your judgement when the ball is three feet from the hole. From twenty five feet the ball is losing speed as it approaches the cup. That three inch rise will make a difference for sure!

Just in the real game it all comes down to practice. There is a practice option. Use it. When I play the practice course I usually end up with the maximum strokes on a hole. That's because I'm experimenting with power, aim,and clubs.

I hope someone finds this info useful.

Glhad

• kirkwagner
    6 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2008 5:21 PM

OMG. I hadn't noticed that number that indicates the vertical difference to the target spot. That may help with my chronic over/undershooting from misreading the red/blue lines.

Thanks all!

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Fri, Nov 7 2008 9:17 AM

Here is a great hint.  If you grab the aim marker on the putting green and move it to your ball; then move it along the green on the ball's intended path to the cup, you will see all the undulations of the green indicated on the vertical distance number on the marker to anticipate the ball movement.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

• nickpa1
    2 Posts
    Thu, Nov 13 2008 10:27 AM

it helps to take a look at the 'reverse' view sometimes.  it can give you a better idea of where to aim and how much break to expect.

• MADISONVOL
    3 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2008 11:46 AM

I normally putt from the reverse view. It gives you a better feel. Putting does take PRACTICE. The lip outs are a killer. You guys did a great job. Pay close attention to the grid. If you've ever played Tiger Woods or any of the other PS golf games the grid is the same. The closer the grid the more break, the farther apart the less it breaks. Since the pin positions don't change, you should start to remember the break, just like on you on course (if you play). I've noticed that, as one real greens, it's hard to play enough break. So, I've started playing a little more break and started making more putts. Made one that was 41'.

Good Golfing

madisonvol

• Bottompairterry
    1 Posts
    Thu, Nov 20 2008 2:06 AM

Yeah I agree. I don't have much say on here right now, cuz I just started today. But I like the way the putting is set up. I just wish there was away to change the distance on you meter down for those putts inside 20 ft and 60 ft.

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2008 3:52 PM

You have as much say as anybody else.

RSS